Any dispersed camping near Ship Rock, NM?

• HTML tutorial

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to disperse camp at Ship Rock?

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Etoimos
Wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to disperse camp at Ship Rock?
ShipRock itself is on tribal land and the folks that I talked to about going out there were very wary about anyone camping out there. Lots of variations on the theme of "bad juju". We did get a guide who lead us out there for a photo shoot. There was defiantly lots of camp damage (litter, broken bottles, fire pits, butts, etc...) off of the dirt road that follows the Lava Dyke north from Indian Route 13, so folks do camp out there. You might try contacting the Navajo Nation and offer to do some cleanup for permission to camp.

For an overnight camp and a nice hike I'd recommend the Bisti Badlands parking lot ( 36.259275, -108.251548 ). No overlanding opportunities in the badlands but hiking for days and lots of cool formations to check out and photograph. This is BLM land and no back country perit was required last spring.

For overlanding there are some fun, easy, roads south of the Bisti through the Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah Wilderness, and Chaco Cluture NHP over to Nageezi & Cuba NM that folks were camped on last time I was down there.

Boort

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Thanks @Boort . I did find on the net where people have camped around it, but it was always iffy if they should have been there. It's a shame that those that did camp there left it a mess, that just makes it harder for others to be allowed to camp there.

Thanks for the other suggestions. My buddy and I are looking for some overlanding opportunities on our way out to Expo West. Really just looking to get off the pavement for a portion of the trip and maybe camp one night on the road before we get to the Expo.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

@Boort the Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah Wilderness looks really cool. I'll have to checkout overlanding routes for it closer. Thanks!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Etoimos

ShipRock itself is on tribal land and the folks that I talked to about going out there were very wary about anyone camping out there. Lots of variations on the theme of "bad juju". We did get a guide who lead us out there for a photo shoot. There was defiantly lots of camp damage (litter, broken bottles, fire pits, butts, etc...) off of the dirt road that follows the Lava Dyke north from Indian Route 13, so folks do camp out there. You might try contacting the Navajo Nation and offer to do some cleanup for permission to camp.

For an overnight camp and a nice hike I'd recommend the Bisti Badlands parking lot ( 36.259275, -108.251548 ). No overlanding opportunities in the badlands but hiking for days and lots of cool formations to check out and photograph. This is BLM land and no back country perit was required last spring.

For overlanding there are some fun, easy, roads south of the Bisti through the Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah Wilderness, and Chaco Cluture NHP over to Nageezi & Cuba NM that folks were camped on last time I was down there.

Boort
This is a GREAT opportunity to contact the right people and get permish to do a clean-up. OLB actively encourages members to both organize and participate in local cleanup events.

We have a general tips post for Organizing A Trail Guardian Cleanup in the Land Use forum. We also have the Create Trail Guardian Cleanup Rally Point page, as opposed to the regular Rally Point.

If this is something members are interested in organizing for the Shiprock area (I love that area and may be out there later this year on my way to Chaco), let me know if I can be of help in any way. I'd go out of my way to be part of this if in that part of the continent when it happens.

Road

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Etoimos
Thanks @Boort . Thanks for the other suggestions. My buddy and I are looking for some overlanding opportunities on our way out to Expo West. Really just looking to get off the pavement for a portion of the trip and maybe camp one night on the road before we get to the Expo.
Here is a track that I recorded for our trip out to an area known as Valley of Dreams. It is just outside of the Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah Wilderness. The "Valleyofdreamsdrive.gpx" track shows heading from Valley of Dreams to Farmington NM. While the "ValleyofdreamsHike.gpx" shows my hike from the parking area out and back along with where I wandered while taking pictures. Here is a sunset shot from this trip:
VoDNM4199.jpg

Wanted to stay for night shots but the wind kicked up and those clouds socked us in so we headed out. This time of year I hear the winds can be even worse.

@Boort the Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah Wilderness looks really cool. I'll have to checkout overlanding routes for it closer. Thanks!
Sorry that I don't have the tracks we took from Albuquerque, they failed to record on the phone I was using. Lots of easy fun dirt and double track roads.

Boort

Attachments

Reactions: John~SWNM

Overland 505

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Member #

This is a GREAT opportunity to contact the right people and get permish to do a clean-up. OLB actively encourages members to both organize and participate in local cleanup events.

We have a general tips post for Organizing A Trail Guardian Cleanup in the Land Use forum. We also have the Create Trail Guardian Cleanup Rally Point page, as opposed to the regular Rally Point.

If this is something members are interested in organizing for the Shiprock area (I love that area and may be out there later this year on my way to Chaco), let me know if I can be of help in any way. I'd go out of my way to be part of this if in that part of the continent when it happens.

Road

The Navaho Nation does stuff a little differently. They do not want people wandering around on their lands. They do not allow you to go off pavement unless you are lead by a guide. There is no dispersed camping of any kind at or around Shiprock. Let me know when you’re coming to Chaco Road.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

The Navaho Nation does stuff a little differently. They do not want people wandering around on their lands. They do not allow you to go off pavement unless you are lead by a guide. There is no dispersed camping of any kind at or around Shiprock. Let me know when you’re coming to Chaco Road.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Interesting, and good to know.

Yes, I’ll most defintely let you know. Been out there before, in the Shiprock area and out to Chaco Canyon. Fascinating place. I may take my daughter out there; she’s as intrigued by the history there as I am.

Reactions: Overland 505

Contributor I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Jarrell
I know this thread is stale, but for others who run across it looking for additional information, one can find some distributed camping in the SE corner of Canyons of the Ancients NM - Dropped Pin
near Road N, Cortez, CO 81321
37°24'05.1"N 108°49'00.7"W

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Thanks for sharing this, used it this weekend and signed up to join OB!

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
It is difficult to find free camping on Tribal land. If you decide to drive up to Shiprock , bring a trash bag and help clean up all the beer bottles, cans and other trash out there. The last time I was out there I filled a 30 gallon bag with much more out there.