Antherzoll's 2005 Volvo XC70 Vehicle/Trip Thread

• HTML tutorial

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
The wheels are from an XC90 and need hub centric rings to fit the XC70 hub, otherwise the 17" wheel itself fits fine. Issues is fitting the 235/65R17 tire which is 29 x 9.3. More information in the link below, but the only real issue with fit is the lower front section of the rear wheel well needs to be 'massaged' a bit [emoji6].

I've since added 25mm spacers to the rear wheel which required further modification to the plastic wheel well liner. Without the spacers and only performing the work to the front section the tire would tuck into the wheel well without rubbing for the full length of the suspension travel, but with the addition of 25mm per side the tire would rub the inner lip of the liner when loaded of on drop offs. I simply removed the liner and trimmed the outer edge of it so that its sits tighter against the outer edge of the wheel well. This provided enough clearance for the tire and the spacers help a lot with the overall look and feel of the vehicle.

1364477630.jpg

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
Mounted!

235/65R17
Toyo Open Country ATII

Just drove it back from the shop. The look and feel great. Getting a but more rubbing upfront due to the fresh treads, but should be a simple fix.

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
We have contact.

The new tires are a real head-turner... [emoji1787]. rrrrrrRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrRRRRRRR.

In a straight line they clear, but any turning past 3/4 to lock will rub like mad, so I got to work. With a bit of heat gun treatment, some trimming, and strategic placement of rivets was able to get it to clear.

Still a bit of rubbing at full lock, but that was there with the previous set and is easily avoided. Even though these tires are the same 235/65R17 the previous set, they are slightly larger. They look bigger in the wheel wells too. The rears still clear, though I've not tested the full range yet.

Kumhos

Toyos

Should be getting some snow and freezing conditions over the next few days, interested to see how they handle.

Antherzoll

Rank III

Contributor III

Canada
Snow Fun!

The Toyo Open Country ATII feel very passable for winter driving. Was able to get a feel for them in a wintery mix ranging from freezing rain to fresh powder, snow covered back roads and unmaintained access road. They feel very confident and maintain predictable handling on road and are able to push through and climb hills easily off road. Temperatures were keeping between 0C to -4C, will be interesting to see how the rubber harden at colder temp and how they perform on ice. For now I'm very impressed by them.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I had the same problems when I had Toyo A/T's on my crossover, I had a 235/60-17 size and they rubbed like crazy!

I trimmed a fair bit of plastic wheeliner away and they still rubbed, I sold my car before I got to do anything more with it.