Another camping drawer/slide out project (Jeep JK)

• HTML tutorial

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

So here is the "finished" product. I used the quotes on "finished" as just like a Jeep, you're never really done with the mods. Once I had it installed and started to think about it, I'm already contemplating mounting my 2000W power inverter like where it is in the pics, then running cables back to my deep cycle that I can have behind the driver seat. I considered putting the battery inside the base, and modifying the slide out cooler drawer to slide over it, but my battery is too tall. Hmmm, maybe a little smaller battery... I'm also considering using the rest of the leftover wood, and making a shelf that will tie into the left side, go over the driver side wheel well, and tie in to the points where the hard top would mount. Maybe in the 2.0 version.

I decided to leave the pull out table natural and just sealed it with Mod Podge (clear, water proof, and my daughter several bottles of it). The cooler drawer was painted with Krylon truck bed spray, and has a little bit of a texture to it. I think it will work well. I decided to re-use the tie downs that I removed in order to bolt it down, and installed them on the front and back of the cooler drawer to tie down the cooler. They fold down when not in use, the front one can be used as a pull for drawer, and they are not mounted to the top, so it remains a clean, flat surface when the cooler is removed.

I loaded it up with 5 full gallons of water, and a six pack of 16oz bottles of water as a weight test. No issues.

My next project that is already in progress is an awning that will mount the soft top! Can't wait to get that finished. Hoping to have everything ready for the American Adventurist Appalachian Rendezvous 10/25-28 here in North Carolina.View attachment 70527View attachment 70528View attachment 70529

THAT!! THAT THING!! the American adventurist rendezvous, what is that. (yes I know I can google it, but where the good OB conversation in that?). sounds like something id like to go to .

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
THAT!! THAT THING!! the American adventurist rendezvous, what is that. (yes I know I can google it, but where the good OB conversation in that?). sounds like something id like to go to .
Average Joe,
The event is one of 3 ( I believe) annual events that are put on by the American Adventurist team and the one most local to us. It's really just a great gathering of like minded folks focused on camping, off-roading, paddling, and biking. Great folks to share knowledge with, camp fire shenanigans and the world famous dutch oven cooking contest and pot luck dinner. Take a look at the American Adventurist web site - similar in nature to OB. By the way, the founder and other team members are the commandants for the BF Goodrich 36 Hours of Uwharrie off-road competition. That's how I met them and got involved.

Reactions: avgjoe624

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
So for everyone following this thread, I'm currently working on the 2.0 version of this project.

As I've been using it for several months now, I've found a few things that needed to change. First, as someone pointed out earlier, I did start to see issues with not having a brace at the back of the slide out drawer for my cooler. After repeated use, I see more play in the slides due to movement with the center brace. I've now added a back section that has made this pretty solid, so I think it should work fine now. Second, I wasn't too impressed with the combination of bed liner on the cooler drawer surface, and paint on the rest. The paint was too slick, and the bed liner just didn't have the texture or color I was looking for.

I decided to cover it with an auto carpet. After looking at several options and trying to find a decent product at a reasonable cost, I finally landed on using something similar to what you would cover a speaker box. So far, it's working out well. I'm no pro by any means and it's the first time I've worked with this stuff. Corners are the most difficult part. Here it is after a few hours work. I'll post the final outcome as well.
wKoN5Se8QHW0tVdNgqvm5A.jpgK5zpdZ3tRhqqqztv424GFA.jpgEdYVjSq2TlOgIkqwsvYFdQ.jpg

Reactions: Broke and Boort

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
So the corners and edges were just not turning out the way I wanted. Kind of a mess really. Back to Lowes for some aluminum that I could use for edging. I had been thinking about doing this for a while, to protect the edges better. I guess my decision was made for me. Got the front pretty much finished up, and most of the material cut for the back. Would have made more progress, but my wife distracted me by having me build her a birdhouse! :tearsofjoy:

%cxJkattRcOKGwPI8b+A9Q.jpg

Reactions: Broke

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
What make and size cooler do you have?
It's the Lifetime 55 quart cooler. It's a little larger than I wanted or need, but it works really well and the price was right. It also got fairly good reviews as well. Even empty, it is already a bit heavy though. I pre-chill it, make sure my food and drinks are cold to begin with, and top it off with ice. I've had ice still at the end of a 5 day trip. I do need to figure out a rack or something for the inside, to keep often used items within reach.

B-Strick

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Strickland
Member #

Thanks for the tip. I am looking to obtain a cooler vs. a frig and I liked your set up as I am designing a pull-out system for my JK and I know several of these type coolers are right to the dimension we have to work in the back of our jeeps. BTW - I am down the road from you in Concord so who knows as we may pass each other on I-85 sometime. Keep Jeeping!!

Reactions: chris_nc

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
So here is the latest on the 2.0 version. I completed installing the aluminum edging, trimmed down the slide out table, and reinstalled it, and then mounted it back in the Jeep. It looks a lot better than the first version, and the fabric matches the rest of the interior well. I still have to rebuild the slide out drawer for the cooler, and think I might take a different approach and use 1" square tubing. yfGRGYLITMSOVMbSOTz4qA.jpg6VPGYqUzSHOPesDAQjNDnw.jpg

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
Reviving my old thread because this seem to be like an annual upgrade process for me! :grimacing: So here is the 3.0 Version!

Last year I moved from my traditional cooler to a fridge. While running it off my normal starting battery seemed to work fine, I still wasn't happy with the solution.

The project for this winter was to remove the platform, shorten the slide for the fridge which allowed room to mount a battery box and an ARB locking outlet. I also installed a Renogy DC-to-DC charger in the space under the fridge, and built everything with Anderson's connectors to keep it all modular. I can swap out batteries, or remove the entire platform with ease. I built a custom power whip to run to the engine compartment, and have a meter mounted in the back corner of my hardtop to monitor things. It's a full shunt based/coulomb meter that allows me to track current going both in and out of the battery.

I tested everything out in the garage for several weeks, and worked out the design, then completed all of the work back in mid-Feb. It has been running full time in the Jeep for the past several weeks and works great. The 20A Renogy charger is awesome. This set up will allow me to easily add a small inverter if I want to, or additional USB ports, etc. and not have to worry about killing my starting battery. If for some reason I need continuous charging, a solar option will be easy to add, and allow me to top off the battery during the day, if not driving.

Cheers!

Attachments