Amber lighting for Overland rig

• HTML tutorial
D

Deleted member 21788

I'm working on the light setup for my Jeep. Primarily used for overlanding with some light rock crawling. I've never put amber lights on my rig and am looking for feedback on their real effectiveness. How useful are they in fog/dust etc? Are they worth the investment?

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Work great during Snovid 21. In that photo the clear center lights are covered, what you see are the 4(outer) KC Gravity Pro 6 with amber Lamin-X, the oem led fogs with amber Lamin-X and the oem led headlights

Attachments

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Or get clear lights so long as you can get amber covers or amber film. Then you'll have the both for any situation.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Have to be low mounted to work. On the bumper or lower, never hood or roof.

Try halogen. Not LED's. If you go halogen, and low mounted, you can go back to a clear lens.

There's plenty of science to argue about, but at the end of the day, in dust and especially snow, halogen still seems to work best and not give me a headache or fatigue. Led's are fine though, just not as good.

These are the best I've seen in Ohio:

Generally, HID's that are slow to warm up aren't practical in Ohio.

Really though, only my hood mounted angled out ''ditch'' lights are useful. For tight turns. Especially wide swung when towing, for tight turns at a decrepit small campground . Forward facing off road lights sure are nice, but completely unnecessary.

Last edited:

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Have to be low mounted to work. On the bumper or lower, never hood or roof.

Try halogen. Not LED's. If you go halogen, and low mounted, you can go back to a clear lens.

There's plenty of science to argue about, but at the end of the day, in dust and especially snow, halogen still seems to work best and not give me a headache or fatigue. Led's are fine though, just not as good.

These are the best I've seen in Ohio:

Generally, HID's that are slow to warm up aren't practical in Ohio.

Really though, only my hood mounted angled out ''ditch'' lights are useful. For tight turns. Especially wide swung when towing, for tight turns at a decrepit small campground . Forward facing off road lights sure are nice, but completely unnecessary.
Yup... there's a reason fog lights are low to the ground.

Reactions: MidOH

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Hoping to install fog lights on Grover this year - it's not the highest priority.

On the old Series Rovers the fog lights are usually on the front bumper. Following pics are typical placements.

What's interesting is the "clear vs amber" discussions - plenty of pros-n-cons to both. I'm planning on going with amber so tge glare isn't so harsh. The last pics are what I'm going with.

Screenshot_20200922-231600_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20201110-094406_Instagram.jpg20200614_230542.jpgScreenshot_20210224-111657_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20210224-111650_eBay.jpg

Reactions: RoarinRow

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'm working on the light setup for my Jeep. Primarily used for overlanding with some light rock crawling. I've never put amber lights on my rig and am looking for feedback on their real effectiveness. How useful are they in fog/dust etc? Are they worth the investment?
yes, white light reflects more light back into your eyes off snow, fog, dust. Amber makes the relection less letting you see better. Technically amber and red let your pupils dialate more letting in more light. Brilliant white light closes your pupil blocking out the dimmer items which is why on a billiant day we shield the sun with a hand or visor or cap.

Which is why military ships use red light which does not destroy your night vision.

D

Deleted member 21788

yes, white light reflects more light back into your eyes off snow, fog, dust. Amber makes the relection less letting you see better. Technically amber and red let your pupils dialate more letting in more light. Brilliant white light closes your pupil blocking out the dimmer items which is why on a billiant day we shield the sun with a hand or visor or cap.

Which is why military ships use red light which does not destroy your night vision.
Yes, we used red light on the bridge at night during my tours in the USCG. I wasn't familiar with amber lights effects though. Thanks!

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Another benefit of amber is when you are running in a group the people in front of you can see you through the dust a lot easier. I run amber chase lights as well for anyone following me.

Reactions: RoarinRow

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Low mounted amber lights work good in rain, snow, fog and comparable conditions, I had them until the police decided to follow the laws. ;-)
We did quite a few comparisons with the same type of light with yellow and white bulbs and the yellow seems to penetrate better and causes less blinding.
Don't know why it works scientifically but I can say it works, also saw Piaa foglights in ion yellow and they seem to work even better.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Low mounted amber lights work good in rain, snow, fog and comparable conditions, I had them until the police decided to follow the laws. ;-)
We did quite a few comparisons with the same type of light with yellow and white bulbs and the yellow seems to penetrate better and causes less blinding.
Don't know why it works scientifically but I can say it works, also saw Piaa foglights in ion yellow and they seem to work even better.
Actually... it has nothing to do with 'penetrating' it's all about eye strain and irritation. Yellow light is easier for our eyes to process, providing better definition when reflected off the tiny water/ice droplets that makeup fog.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I bought an Amazon special light bar for the front of my dodge. One button is white the other is amber. Actually it is way more orange than amber. I use it way more than the white. When I decide how I am going to mount the winch on my truck I will upgrade to a better amber light bar.