Enthusiast III

Dallas, Texas, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Hi OB crew!
I’m looking for amber light options to install on the rear of my roof rack. Ones that can pull double duty of being a nighttime camp set up light and a chase light when I lead the group down dusty trails. I would like it if had a strobe option. I’ve seen many emergency light setups, but they are way to big. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

If I was running a roof rack I would run one of the lightbars like the ones here: Chase Bars
They come in different sizes and sections can have different light colors. For me: Red attached to brake lights on the two outside, Amber just inboard of those, and white work lights in the middle

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I like the Baja Designs S1, but they don't have a strobe feature that I'm aware of, but they are small, bright, and built well. And at $200 they aren't cheap, but they won't break the bank, either. They're a high quality light, though, not some Chinese knock-off, and priced accordingly. I don't have any of these on my truck (yet, I spent 2020's light budget on LP6s for the front) but I do have a pair on my dual sport motorcycle and I love them.
DRZ Adv Spec.jpg

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I like the Baja Designs S1, but they don't have a strobe feature that I'm aware of, but they are small, bright, and built well. And at $200 they aren't cheap, but they won't break the bank, either. They're a high quality light, though, not some Chinese knock-off, and priced accordingly. I don't have any of these on my truck (yet, I spent 2020's light budget on LP6s for the front) but I do have a pair on my dual sport motorcycle and I love them.
They're actually $100 a pop if you just get a single. Two chase lights is better for communicating distance but I (and race orgs as well) think one would suffice for caution. Excellent lights though. I just installed their dual S1 reverse kit on my truck and I'm swapping it out for being too bright back there... they basically compete with my factory LED headlights so ordered some a-pillar brackets to get some sideways lighting.

For OP, you can get a strobe box for any light for relatively cheap and do a DPST switch to trigger it ON-OFF-STROBE. I've found 1,000 lumens about right for a chase light so something like a BD S2 Sport that accepts a cover is probably the best bet for dual use. You can always experiment with Rit dyes as well to tint clear lenses to reduce output if they're too bright for camp.

And because this always seems to come up discussing chase lights... amber is the standard for racing for a reason. Don't listen to people who tell you red's lower wavelength travels better through dust. They're right, but it's academic because you get 4x the transmissivity of light with amber over red so you'd need 4x the power to make the argument valid.

Last edited:

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Baja Designs S1/S2 or KC Hilites flex lights would be my two suggestions as they both have replaceable lenses. Spendy, but worth it for the size and durability. I have seen one of these companies make a specific chase light bar, both make one I believe, but that may not suite your needs depending on what rig these will go on.

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
Another big plus for Baja Designs is their customer service. If you contact them directly, they will put together a light set to your specifications. For instance, the lights on my motorcycle are not sold on their web page in that configuration. It only took an email for me to get exactly what I wanted, with no extra charge over the pre-packaged light pairs.

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

I have a pair of KC Cyclones that I’ve yet to hook up but they are small, cheap, and put out about 500 lumens each.
I don’t know if they’ll be ideal as dust lights but for sure better than being invisible in a cloud of flour.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I have a pair of KC Cyclones that I’ve yet to hook up but they are small, cheap, and put out about 500 lumens each.
I don’t know if they’ll be ideal as dust lights but for sure better than being invisible in a cloud of flour.
I have two of those in white I am going to use for underhood lights. Seem to be decent quality.

Reactions: probablytheguy