Am I doing this wrong? (Roof rack content)

• HTML tutorial

Dseck63

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Daly City, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Seck
Member #

Hey guys/gals! Basically what I am trying to accomplish is having enough storage in my 3rd gen 4Runner. As a cost-cutting measure I attempted to extend the cheap Curt rack I bought last year off of Craigslist. Now while it will work for my storage purposes by keeping light items in the front and my heavier items in the rear it does look hideous with the gap at the roofline. I wanted to add some additional lighting up top but would adding a light bar below the fairing be foolish?

I have thought about getting a Gobi but I do like having the taller basket since it's easier to secure the load.

I love the look of modular racks, however I don't know that they'll accommodate the storage I'm looking for.. I'd like to store my ground tent, mattress pads, poopy bucket, Maxtrax, shovel/axe still up there. Any thoughts/suggestions before I play with more trial and error purchases to make this functional but also more aesthetically pleasing? [emoji846]_20191101_161153.JPG

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Sell it on CL. Many folks believe that having a basket type rack makes it easier and safer to secure loads. That just isn’t true. I’ve been the “safari” style steel racks route and what a pita it was. I also ran with lighting up top for a few years which was a complete waste of money, unless you enjoy lots of nighttime glare off of your hood. We used those lights only once in the 6 or 7 years they were up there. Keep you lighting low and up front. Check out a few serious world traveler overlanders on YouTube. Notice how many of them have lots of lighting up top? The only ones that use those kinds of lights are the sponsored vehicles and the manufacturers give them the lights for advertisement placement. Spend your hard earned dollars on a good modular aluminum roof rack that will suit your needs.

Dseck63

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Daly City, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Seck
Member #

Thanks for the input Don, I appreciate your first hand tips from having one yourself. I found that by adding the light bar it didn't really pose as big of a problem as I initially thought and the glare is there but not as bad as I thought it would be considering. After moving it below the rack, and kicked out front a bit it seemed to help. As for the rack though I agree that a modular would be more solid, and overall a breath of fresh air. The problem is even with my load dwindled down I run out of space fast due to the refrigerator. I can go with a modular rack but a drawer system I'll need to compliment it. In the meantime I'll just continue to use what i have since it's already there.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Pull it off when you are not using it. Fill it with your stuff when it's on.