Alternative to "Overlanding"

• HTML tutorial

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Ran across a newish overlanding type magazine called "ROVA". didn't really care for the magazine yet the name got me to thinking.

There have been a few discussions out there lately about the word "overlanding" being overused and perhaps using a different term.

How about "roving"?

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

I mainly noticed the magazine because of the association of Rover, Rove, Rova. I really thought it was some sort of new US based Land Rover magazine.

I do know that when the Rover car company created the Land Rover they added the word "Land" to distinguish it from their car line as well as to denote it was built with the intention of going cross country off-road.

Reactions: WanderDawg

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I agree, overlanding is over used, but when you start explaining the difference people start understanding that many of them who use the term overlanding are, in fact, not overlanders most are campers.
Anyways... I don't care about this people, I care about roadsings that say "road closed"

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

It is kind of funny hearing it is an over used term, I only heard of it not long ago, & realizing that was a lot of the camping I did with the Family Growing up. Lol the old trips to Kennedy Medows (in the Serria's) before anything was there comes to mind. Even the occasional cow cruseing through camp was fun.

Reactions: MazeVX

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Ah we can ROVE if we want to, we can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't ROVE and if they don't ROVE
Well they're are no friends of mine
I say, we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find
And we can act like we come from out of this world
Leave the real one far behind,
And we can ROVE

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

No matter what term you use, it will be over used within a month. That is just part and parcel for the digital age. Personally, I like the names "Overlanding", "Wandering", and "Exploring".
Everything moves so fast so I have decided to stop caring and just enjoy life.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

It might be over used by us. But, when I have to explain the term, I get lots of questions:
1) How is that different from Off-roading?
2) Isn't that 4-Wheeling, or rock crawling?
3) I couldn't find that word is a Dictionary, did you make it up?
upload_2018-11-8_8-9-18.png

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

WanderDawg

Rank II
Launch Member

Member I

Canton, Georgia
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Pitts
Member #

No getting around it being overused. But if I see an, article, video, or advertising mentioning I get the idea that it may generally serve my interest. I am not planning a week long expedition across Canada but the gear, tools, and techniques serve my purpose. But! What I don't do is use that term personally. I am not going to say "I am going over landing". I am traveling or camping plain and simple. How I get there and what I do there is up for grabs. Saying overlanding to me sounds like a poser. Like using the word "rig" all the time.

Sent from my 2PS64 using OB Talk mobile app