Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fenwick Island, De
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Barry
Member #

I'm looking for a few days solitude. New to the east coast. Anyone dispersed camped in the ANF in Pennsylvania ? I live in Delaware and wanted to know if it was worth the drive.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Oddly enough I haven’t made my way there yet but Pennsylvania offers plenty of areas to enjoy peace and quiet. Moshannon/Quehanna (and their proximity to Bennezette) and Rothrock are closer to me but my favorite being Bald Eagle State Forest. Hundreds of miles of forest roads, trails (hiking and driving), dispersed camping, and many scenic overlooks.

Reactions: dwb133

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I'm looking for a few days solitude. New to the east coast. Anyone dispersed camped in the ANF in Pennsylvania ? I live in Delaware and wanted to know if it was worth the drive.
Been there and was sadly disappointed. Everything is broken up into grids with gas and oil wells making it very difficult to locate any through trails... The region also caters to the ATV and sled folks with plenty of those types of trails. Boating and all that inland boating brings with it, and lots of people in any established campground. Further south is the George Washington & Jefferson NF. I've heard many good things about that region and it is much closer to you than the Appalachian NF... There are also a ton of cool places is West Virginia. I'm sad to hear you had to come back east.. Solitude anywhere on the eastern seaboard is tough to come by, except, northwestern Maine and on up into Canada. good luck !!

Reactions: dwb133

Overland 5

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Southern Ontario
Member #

I was just in the ANF about 3 weeks ago and found some spots along the ATV trails. I don't know if EXIF data are attached to the photos, but the coordinates are: 41.9123716,-78.8331722 .

No cell signal; but quiet.
There is a fire pit and a stream at the back but you're in front of some sort of pump station. Didn't bother me. There is another spot a little further east on the trail without a pump station but smaller. Bent Rock Falls is pretty awesome. I attached some pictures also (link here)

Attachments

dwb133

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fenwick Island, De
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Barry
Member #

I was just in the ANF about 3 weeks ago and found some spots along the ATV trails. I don't know if EXIF data are attached to the photos, but the coordinates are: 41.9123716,-78.8331722 .

There is a fire pit and a stream at the back but you're in front of some sort of pump station. Didn't bother me. There is another spot a little further east on the trail without a pump station but smaller. Bent Rock Falls is pretty awesome. I attached some pictures also (link here)
Thanks, that sounds like it might work.

Tjrohr

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Fairview Park, OH, USA
First Name
Tj
Last Name
Rohr
Member #

Yes and yes. Find Jake's Run and continue down the dirt road and you find dispersed camping sites everywhere. Good starting spot...explore out from there, there are camp site everywhere

Tortoise Overland

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Rehoboth, MA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lathwood
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3MFL
Service Branch
U.S. Army

We actually have property in the ANF. There are hundreds of roads, and Logging trails to explore. I know where you were camping by the GPS. Very awesome area.

Reactions: Travelinjohnnie