Allegheny National Forest summer ride..

• HTML tutorial

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Kinda like the ride that was done during this past winter.. Is there any interest in doing one? My wife and I have seriously been considering it. We want to get a few local people involved. Thinking of an overnight or possible weekend venture. I didn't go on the winter ride but would that same route be too short for riding during dry summer months? If so, we could add more miles to get to more scenic areas or other points of interest.. Just a thought I figured I'd toss out there.. Lets see where this goes.. As of now, I have every other Sunday off work. I could take vaca days.. AND hunting seasons are soon to begin.. Small game in NY already started.. What do ya all think??

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
My bad @Scout. I didn't connect the two but no I still did not. Between work and family I couldn't make it work.

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

Kinda like the ride that was done during this past winter.. Is there any interest in doing one? My wife and I have seriously been considering it. We want to get a few local people involved. Thinking of an overnight or possible weekend venture. I didn't go on the winter ride but would that same route be too short for riding during dry summer months? If so, we could add more miles to get to more scenic areas or other points of interest.. Just a thought I figured I'd toss out there.. Lets see where this goes.. As of now, I have every other Sunday off work. I could take vaca days.. AND hunting seasons are soon to begin.. Small game in NY already started.. What do ya all think??
I would be interested. I would like to meet some faces to the names as well as flex out the forester a little. I could do a weekend at sometime here.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Welcome aboard JamieF.

I'm still undecided on if I'm doing the Meet & Greet on Oct 5th weekend.. I may have an overnight hike I'm going to do sometime between the 5th and 21st..Sooo, with that, are there any thoughts on a date? I'm not positive. My work weekends are going to be touch and go for both Saturdays and Sundays..I'm not making it easy..lol..

I thought that whatever trails/roads we might travel on to find someplace to camp, we could travel to a few points of interest. ie, Jakes Rocks, Mt Jewitt {train bridge}, Drakes Well, Kinzua Dam, etc etc..

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Welcome aboard JamieF.

I'm still undecided on if I'm doing the Meet & Greet on Oct 5th weekend.. I may have an overnight hike I'm going to do sometime between the 5th and 21st..Sooo, with that, are there any thoughts on a date? I'm not positive. My work weekends are going to be touch and go for both Saturdays and Sundays..I'm not making it easy..lol..

I thought that whatever trails/roads we might travel on to find someplace to camp, we could travel to a few points of interest. ie, Jakes Rocks, Mt Jewitt {train bridge}, Drakes Well, Kinzua Dam, etc etc..

https://www.drakewell.org/

http://visitanf.com/kinzua-state-park-sky-walk/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegheny_Reservoir

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g53916-d3660278-Reviews-Jakes_Rock_Overlook-Warren_Pennsylvania.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g53916-d1913292-Reviews-Rimrock_Overlook-Warren_Pennsylvania.html

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

i did it last year. it was my first time running the route and it wasn't a difficult route. basically all forest roads and oil roads. i may have an updated route as we found out that the original route leads onto private property.

That's great.. could be a route that would offer overnight camping? I see in a few of the links I shared, they have info for camping but didn't look at it..

Reactions: JamieF

JamieF

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

North Tonawanda, NY
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Franke
Member #

Unfortunately I have to work on Oct 5th so I won’t be attending the meet and greet. I should be able to get away any other weekend from now until thanksgiving.

Reactions: Scout

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I want to go to the M&G but not sure I'll be able to.. That's another why I started this idea..I'd love to do both..

Reactions: JamieF

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
put me on the list. Iv never been to the area. I always love seeing new places

Last edited:
Reactions: Scout

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

i did it last year. it was my first time running the route and it wasn't a difficult route. basically all forest roads and oil roads. i may have an updated route as we found out that the original route leads onto private property.

Have you looked at any alt routes? In the link I posted right above, of satellite viewing, zooming in, I see a lot of roads, trails that criss cross. One that got my attention is called Lookout Trail.. Located just west of Kane Marshburg Rd, RT 121 east of Ludlow..

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

I started looking at this satellite view.. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Allegheny+National+Forest/@41.5972563,-79.2272062,139268m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xf07b8e42353dcfd3!8m2!3d41.6487827!4d-79.0061464 I see a lot of dirt roads when zooming waay in.. I guess I'd just need to figure out points of interest we would stop at. and that would help create the map route..
Just have to watch allot of access points are locked off with gates up there. Still plenty to do and explore. Just a heads up

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits