Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Update: Going again 2/9-2/11.

Jan '18 trip:
Went on a two day camping trip this past weekend to the Alder Creek dispersed campground in my modded Jeep JKUR. After having to replan the trip location several times due to campground closures and blizzard conditions, I surfed the web for hours until I stumbled upon this place. The fed website stated it was open, so I gambled by driving 4.5 hours to get there. The gate was open, so we hit the fire road and eventually located the campground after a few twisty downhill miles.

No water there (nearby flowing creek though). Closed pit toilets (seasonal). No fee and first come first serve. No cell service...totally off grid. Looked like three or four sites in total. It was near dark, hard to tell. All sites have a rock lined fire pit. Our first night was dry weather. There's a lot of deadfall wood around, so no need to pack in firewood.

Next morning was raining, so we jumped into action and strung some tarps. Plenty of trees around to tie a ridgeline or supporting guylines. Bring rope/cordage and some carabiners to help yourself out. Tarps, trucker's hitch, bowline, and prusik knots galore had us all squared away with a field expedient covered area. We established a cook station and all was good.

That night it rained off and on. Raging fire all night. It then started to snow on us. Next morning revealed about a half of an inch had fallen. Broke camp and headed uphill on the now muddy/slushy fire road. 4WDH needed. At the main road out (Hwy 155), it was all snow and ice. Slow progress getting down the mountain in snowy fog. BFG KO2 tires worked flawlessly.

Overall, a great time in a new spot. I'll go back again for sure. Nobody was there. Total seclusion. Here's the website:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sequoia/recreation/recarea/?recid=79630&actid=43

Alder Creek Campground
California

https://goo.gl/maps/A5NM45KsHrQ2

IMG953628.jpg IMG953635.jpg 20180120_112616.jpg 20180120_102215.jpg 20180120_112841.jpg

Last edited:

DuncNasty08

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Visalia, CA
Member #

came across this while searching for somewhere to camp. planning a trip for later this month with my girl. this might be the place. was looking for more of a dispersed style camping trip rather than a place with actual sites. and its pretty close to me since im in visalia :)

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

came across this while searching for somewhere to camp. planning a trip for later this month with my girl. this might be the place. was looking for more of a dispersed style camping trip rather than a place with actual sites. and its pretty close to me since im in visalia :)
Try to get there Fri night, so you can snag the best spot before others arrive on Sat. The best site is on your right, about 150 yards past the vehicle bridge. Turn right when you see the campground sign and two outhouses. Best site will be there to your right, after turning right at the outhouses. No need to bring wood. There's plenty of deadfall and cut up discs for firewood. Just bring an axe or saw. No water, but there's a creek on site. We bring drinking water, but you can boil creek water if you need to. Outhouses are closed, so plan accordingly. Last time I went, there these two trucks full of yapping/barking hunting dogs. Pissed me off to hear those dogs at 0530 hours.

Reactions: DuncNasty08