AGM Batteries - Which one’s should I buy for my FZJ80 dual setup?

• HTML tutorial

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
I will be swapping out my Interstate lead acid batteries in my1997 FZJ80. I currently have a dual system. The second battery is mounted on the opposite side of the radiator up front opposite the starter battery. I am running a bunch of electronics and need more long running sustainable juice. I’m thinking about going to the Northstar marine batteries. I am looking for input from others who have experience with this brand or feel another would be better. I’ve looked at the Odyssey batteries, but the stats honestly look better on the Northstar. Northstar suggests replacing with the stock size 24F, but I’d like more power storage capacity if I can fit it. I’m thinking of running the NSB-AGM31M. It’s a little bigger than the 24F version, but the specs seem to be much better on the 31M. The secondary “house” battery sits in a Slee Off-Road Aux Battery Tray. I have a solar recharging system set up, so I think I’ll be able to run off these batteries longer when off grid. I also have the Blue Sea Systems Automatic Charge Relay setup for battery management and a 200AMP Mean Green alternator to keep things powered up while running. The stock alternator was only putting out 80AMP, so I thought the higher output would be better to recharge the system with all the electronics we have running.

Anyone out there have experience with the Northstar marine grade AGM batteries?

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I will be swapping out my Interstate lead acid batteries in my1997 FZJ80. I currently have a dual system. The second battery is mounted on the opposite side of the radiator up front opposite the starter battery. I am running a bunch of electronics and need more long running sustainable juice. I’m thinking about going to the Northstar marine batteries. I am looking for input from others who have experience with this brand or feel another would be better. I’ve looked at the Odyssey batteries, but the stats honestly look better on the Northstar. Northstar suggests replacing with the stock size 24F, but I’d like more power storage capacity if I can fit it. I’m thinking of running the NSB-AGM31M. It’s a little bigger than the 24F version, but the specs seem to be much better on the 31M. The secondary “house” battery sits in a Slee Off-Road Aux Battery Tray. I have a solar recharging system set up, so I think I’ll be able to run off these batteries longer when off grid. I also have the Blue Sea Systems Automatic Charge Relay setup for battery management and a 200AMP Mean Green alternator to keep things powered up while running. The stock alternator was only putting out 80AMP, so I thought the higher output would be better to recharge the system with all the electronics we have running.

I have the Northstar duel bat setup in my 5th gen 4rumner. So far so good. Only a year old or so. They have the best warranty I have seen out there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Boort

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
I have the Northstar duel bat setup in my 5th gen 4rumner. So far so good. Only a year old or so. They have the best warranty I have seen out there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app
Were you by chance able to squeeze the series 31's into your engine bay? Since the 4Runner has a smaller engine bay, I'd think probably not, but my guy thinks he can fit them. I just don't want to go through the hassle of ordering them on-line and having them not fit. Then I'll have to return them and the hassle would be more than the gain. I think the 4Runner spec is a 24F also.

On another note, your Overland Bound handle; Hi-Yo-Silver cracked me up. One of our other vehicles is a silver MBZ whose nick name is Hi-Ho. What a co-inkidink!!

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Were you by chance able to squeeze the series 31's into your engine bay? Since the 4Runner has a smaller engine bay, I'd think probably not, but my guy thinks he can fit them. I just don't want to go through the hassle of ordering them on-line and having them not fit. Then I'll have to return them and the hassle would be more than the gain. I think the 4Runner spec is a 24F also.

On another note, your Overland Bound handle; Hi-Yo-Silver cracked me up. One of our other vehicles is a silver MBZ whose nick name is Hi-Ho. What a co-inkidink!!
yes they are group 31 and they fit no problem.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV

I had a Northstar 27F as my starting battery that had internal breakage and failed after 18 months. It was really strange and if I didn’t have dual batteries I would have been stranded (near where I live luckily). Pretty disappointing because I heard all good things about them. Batteries Plus did a thorough test and then honored the 5 year warranty.

I have since changed to Duracell Platinum AGM Batteries from Batteries Plus. Starting battery is a dual purpose 34R and my house battery is a pure deep cycle marine 27. These batteries made by East Penn seem less finicky than the Odyssey or Northstar ones, which I’ve had before. Time will tell with these ones but I’m hopeful they can last longer. My stock 80a alternator has been tested and is putting out proper voltage btw.

My setup is similar to yours, Blue Sea ML-ACR. Winch and compressor run off the starting battery and all other electronics run off my second battery. I do not have any solar setup. I’ve done 31s in the 80 battery tray before and it can be done but it’s super tight and made it a pain in the ass to move things around. You get very close to 31 numbers with a 27, but the 27 drops in and out much easier imo.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Sadly the Sears Diehard AGM platinum is no longer available. It was a re-badged Odyssey and was a lot of bang for the buck.. When I went to dual batteries 5 years ago Autozone Duralast AGMs were on sale so I bought a pair of em. (built by Johnson Controls). As I recall they have 70 amp hours each. I have a 120 watt solar panel which keeps eveything topped off and still, 70 amph is enough to get us through the night running an Engle and charging camera batteries, lap top, and phones. However, I do things a little differently than most. The second battery is strictly for back up and winching. Everything else is on the starter battery. When we get to camp, I manually isolate the second battery, deploy the solar panel, and all is good. If we draw a ton of power that evening, then the second battery is still charged up. If I'm having to do some winching with the engine stalled, then the starter battery is safe. This has been my method for the last 5 years. I get the batteries tested in the spring and in the fall and they are still going strong... Next time around I'll be shopping Amp Hours, but does one really need 103 ah each that the Northstar provides? Maybe, if you're on a boat, or a huge land yacht that is very power hungry. $3.79 per amp hour versus $2.85 per amp hour. Myself? I just cannot justify the cost of any of those top shelf batteries for land rigs. Then again, I may just be the oddball out.

Reactions: jscusmcvet

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
I had a Northstar 27F as my starting battery that had internal breakage and failed after 18 months. It was really strange and if I didn’t have dual batteries I would have been stranded (near where I live luckily). Pretty disappointing because I heard all good things about them. Batteries Plus did a thorough test and then honored the 5 year warranty.

I have since changed to Duracell Platinum AGM Batteries from Batteries Plus. Starting battery is a dual purpose 34R and my house battery is a pure deep cycle marine 27. These batteries made by East Penn seem less finicky than the Odyssey or Northstar ones, which I’ve had before. Time will tell with these ones but I’m hopeful they can last longer. My stock 80a alternator has been tested and is putting out proper voltage btw.

My setup is similar to yours, Blue Sea ML-ACR. Winch and compressor run off the starting battery and all other electronics run off my second battery. I do not have any solar setup. I’ve done 31s in the 80 battery tray before and it can be done but it’s super tight and made it a pain in the ass to move things around. You get very close to 31 numbers with a 27, but the 27 drops in and out much easier imo.
Wow....great input! I was just getting ready to order the Northstar batteries and now I think, based on your experience, I may change course. Thanks very much. The numbers between the 27’s and 31’s seemed significant. My HID lights suck the juice, so I’m wanting more capacity. I, take a look at the stats on the Duracell’s and see the difference. Thank you very much!

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Sadly the Sears Diehard AGM platinum is no longer available. It was a re-badged Odyssey and was a lot of bang for the buck.. When I went to dual batteries 5 years ago Autozone Duralast AGMs were on sale so I bought a pair of em. (built by Johnson Controls). As I recall they have 70 amp hours each. I have a 120 watt solar panel which keeps eveything topped off and still, 70 amph is enough to get us through the night running an Engle and charging camera batteries, lap top, and phones. However, I do things a little differently than most. The second battery is strictly for back up and winching. Everything else is on the starter battery. When we get to camp, I manually isolate the second battery, deploy the solar panel, and all is good. If we draw a ton of power that evening, then the second battery is still charged up. If I'm having to do some winching with the engine stalled, then the starter battery is safe. This has been my method for the last 5 years. I get the batteries tested in the spring and in the fall and they are still going strong... Next time around I'll be shopping Amp Hours, but does one really need 103 ah each that the Northstar provides? Maybe, if you're on a boat, or a huge land yacht that is very power hungry. $3.79 per amp hour versus $2.85 per amp hour. Myself? I just cannot justify the cost of any of those top shelf batteries for land rigs. Then again, I may just be the oddball out.
So happy you guys respond. This forum is so good for those of us exploring best build tactics and practical applications. I recently installed the Blue Sea battery management switch and that really helps keep things leveled off as well as keeping my starter battery out of harms when by running it down. The battery switch helps keep charge in my starter battery so I don’t ever get stranded. I also went with a 120 watt solar set up which is awesome. Thank you for helping me understand that there are so many ways and that each of us need to explore what works best for our own uses. Cheers!

Reactions: MOAK

Jeremy M.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mascoutah, IL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JTM
Service Branch
Army
Batteries Plus sells the X2 Power plus battery, which is a rebranded northstar. It has a 60 month free replacement warranty. I love mine a single 27f can run my fridge for days.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

JamesSmith

Rank IV
Investor

Advocate III

Columbia, SC
First Name
James
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army Infantry

Hey - what did you decide to do ultimately - I have the same exact question - a 97 80 - with a dual battery set-up with Interstate batteries - crank battery is dying and want to put a more robust deep cycle battery as a replacement

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I run Odyssey. I've tried about every battery manufacture out there. These give me no issues and last longer. I'm forced to use interstate at work. Horrible batteries. We use them in everything from car's to medium duty.
I'm also not easy on my batteries. That's probably why the lesser ones don't last for me. I don't run any kind of battery management. I do run an isolation solenoid and a panel to keep them charged when it sits for long periods.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
I am now running a single 31' Northstar AGM for my cranking batter with a hood mounted flexible solar panel that keeps that battery topped off at all times. I removed the other battery under the hood and now use the battery box as an electrical fuse bus base for most of my on-board electrics. I installed 2 Battle Born lithium batteries with 100 amp hours each inside my truck on the floor next to my Goose Gear box and built a cage around them so items don't fall on top of the batteries and short them out. Those are charged by a 200 AMP roof rack mounted rigid solar panel by Renogy. I also installed charging ports in both the front and rear bumpers when garaged. My entire power set up is now rock solid. One last thing, I installed the Victron Connect system to monitor my batteries. Redarc also makes super cool monitoring systems, but very pricey. The Victron shows everything I need to manage my batteries and does so with Bluetooth tech to an app on my phone.

I will say, after 6 years and 3 sets of Northstar 31 AGM's under the hood, I'm not recommending it. I found that when the AGM's run too low, the battery memory goes to hell and wind up needing replacement. They're not cheap. Due to my own error by not turning off my fridge, I ran the batteries too low and ruined them. A pretty normal human error....especially when returning home from a long trip and wanting to relax after unloading. Under hood heat is also an issue. I believe the heat contributed to their short life. I should have gone back to the dealers where I purchased them, but I'm too lazy. In the end, it probably would have saved me at least $1,200.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
One last thought for the night. The Blue Sea battery management switch ended up failing. I switched out the the RedArc BCDC and it works flawlessly. Also moved this device inside the rig vs under the hood. I'm finding less under the hood of an 80 series is better! Also, ditched the HID lights and went to Baja Designs LP9 Pro's. Huge difference in power usage and lighting.....now it goes from night to day instantly and draws almost nothing from the batteries.

Reactions: Viking1204

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I sell batteries for a living. You're buying a warranty not a battery. LMAO
Regardless of the manufacture if your battery craps the bed the Tuesday after the purchase it won't matter who it was.
The batteries I sell are manufactured by the same company that the other 40 or 60 brick and mortar stores around me sell, Johnson Controls.
That's all I got.
And I prefer Autozone and no, I don't work there. LOL
Zim

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I sell batteries for a living. You're buying a warranty not a battery. LMAO
Regardless of the manufacture if your battery craps the bed the Tuesday after the purchase it won't matter who it was.
The batteries I sell are manufactured by the same company that the other 40 or 60 brick and mortar stores around me sell, Johnson Controls.
That's all I got.
And I prefer Autozone and no, I don't work there. LOL
Zim
Yeah this is like one of the worst kept secrets in the industry... it's all JC and East Penn. When you go buy a battery at Napa or Autozone or anywhere else, they're all basically the same so buy based on desired warranty and how convenient the store is to you when you need that warranty.

The only exception I know is Odyssey/Northstar. I've been running nothing but their performance series and they've been excellent.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Reviving an old thread here eh? The Duralast AGMs I had were over 7 years old and I thought it time to replace them since they were only holding about 12.4 - 5 volts. So, I go into autozone to get a replacement starter battery first. The guy behind the counter says they can't get them anymore. I start to walk out and the manager runs up to me and says he thinks he can help. Ok, I followed him back to the counter. He price matched an Odyssey I was like, whoa! you're serious a 34R Odyssey for 179.00? Yup. In the meantime I Had cleaned up my wire act and shopped for a house battery with more Amp hours and settled on a yellow top. Mistake! After only a year of use the Yellow Top was holding less than a 90% charge. I sold it for cheap and replaced that with a Duracell Platinum 100ah 27M. That was 1 year ago. So far the Duracell is holding over a 95% charge and the Odyssey is doing the same.