Adventure Trailer, So Far

• HTML tutorial

Johnnie Canuck

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpgSo when I realized that with my two mastiffs and my girlfriend in tow with me that I didn't quite have enough room in my rig for everything to travel with, I decided to build a adventure trailer.
Were i go bears are a legitimate issue. So I felt that a properly sealed unit would reduce the risk of negative encounters. All three access points are sealed by an extruded door edge and automotive weather seal.
The lightest material used on the frame is 1/4" wall. All structural aluminum. The cargo compartments are .100 wall reinforced with 1x1 tubing. All corners of the frame are gusseted for the sake of over engineering. The main cargo area fully slides out on 4 foot H.D. slides for maximum accessibility. This will have my kitchen set up ( soon to come ) and some general storage.
Front compartment is just for misc stuff so far.
After much deliberation i went with stackable water cans in my own carriers instead of a full water tank. I did this for multiple reasons. One, I couldn't source a tank with baffles. Another was price... And i like the versatility of being able to mount the carriers anywhere on the trailer or my rig. An unforeseen advantage came about in northern Canada were for huge amounts of area one can only set up camp on solid rock ( The Canadian Shield ). Having multiple water cans to use as tie-downs was essential.
Up to 4 nato style fuel cans can be mounted to the unit as well as the water carriers.
Timbren 1 metric tonne H.D. Independent suspension was my choice because of the simplicity of the design. And hell, i get a great deal on Timbren products through the company i work for! I found installation was a breeze, and i can recomend Timbren for the customer service alone.
Hitch is a 5 ton pintle with a 45 ton draw bar! The draw bar is oversized to keep movement and rattle noise down. Good idea from a buddy of mine.
I put a Wild Coast Tents "Sand Piper" rooftop tent on top so i can drive away from camp without breaking anything down.
The unit is booted with 35" BFGs wrapped on 2014 Ford Raptor rims. ( gotta match the rig!! ). Yes this was a hassle with the Timbren hubs. But we got it figured out.
This prototype was tested for over two weeks in northern Alberta, B.C., Yukon and the N.W.T. Generally everything tested well! A few mods and changes are in the works, including a custom awning and a hardcover for the tent. Possibly a colour match to the rig... I figure the final product will be completed for this summer!

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
That is an awesome looking trailer build you have going there. I wish that I had Aluminum welding skills.