Adding waypoints on the move

• HTML tutorial

Contributor III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Zolyak
When driving down a trail, I often want to add waypoints for interesting things to revisit later in the trip or on a future trip. Ex. a good dispersed camping spot, a good fishing spot, etc. I've found it's hard to add waypoints with Gaia while driving down a trail. Any suggestions that have been helpful to you?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Make sure that the map is tracking/following you or you will get a waypoint added in a random nearby spot, not where you are.
Click/poke through the waypoint add menus as quickly as possible to keep your eyes on the road, then go back and rename them later in the day while things are still somewhat fresh.

Reactions: Road and grubworm

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
This has been something I've battled for years across different GPS platforms. Stopping to add in isn't always possible and trying to remember what the waypoint was for "if" you remember and don't have a bunch of them to edit later. I stop when I can, add notes to a log and try to update the info as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I find "random" way points when I'm reviewing my data for a trip months or years later. I seem to forget to update as much as i should.

Reactions: Ubiety

Contributor III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Zolyak
Yeah, same here. I normally either 1) forgot to add it or 2) add it and then have a bunch of POIs with no info that I find months later. Glad to know I'm not alone!

It's less of a problem if I'm traveling w/ someone else who can add a POI for me but still a problem when I'm solo.

Reactions: Ubiety

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I guess this is another reason that I like my Garmin GPS that mounts to my windshield. I press on the icon of my vehicle and it automatically saves my location. I can either let it name it with the coordinates or give it a name with the keyboard that shows up on the screen.

Reactions: Road

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Sounds like a good feature for Gaia to add, a few presets for Add Waypoint Near Me with specified icons and names. It really only does take a few seconds to enter the info, but that would still be nice.