Rank V

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexico 87110, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nesbit
Member #

Spent part of my time since the holidays researching which direction to head on COMS. Decided to venture into GMRS as it feels similar to CB and without the testing required for HAM. (May eventually venture into HAM as that seems well supported by OB community). Finding a spot to route back to Wilco hitch was a bit of a challenge. But I'm pretty happy with the rear mounted antenna instead of dealing with the wind noise and coordinating with my ditch lights.

2018 Crosstrek Wilco Hitchgate Solo GMRS mount #1

2018 Crosstrek Wilco Hitchgate Solo GMRS mount #2

2018 Crosstrek Wilco Hitchgate Solo GMRS mount #3

2018 Crosstrek Wilco Hitchgate Solo mount #4

Supplies:
Midland MXT275 MicroMobile
Midland MXTA26 6db gain whip antenna
MagDaddy 10 pack
Superbat NMO mount
Proxicast 12ft extension cable THIS IS GARBAGE... DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID!

Last edited:

IceBear505

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nesbit
Member #

Found that my original choice for extension cable was not performing as expected. Was getting SWR of around 1.85, which is no bueno. Switched it out for a new longer, less expensive one and SWR is down to 1.06.

My new cable choice is less expensive, longer, has more connectors, and out performs the original Proxicast cable;

I hope no one purchased the first one in my parts list. Was none too happy to have to replace, but glad I did!

Lesson learned: check your equipment BEFORE final install and tucking everything away. Accessing 3x was no fun!!

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Wow nice install and placement. I have a similar Wilco hitch and was wording about wiring to it for a backup camera, so you have me some ideas. You must have a very powerful drill. I'm assuming you drilled through the hitch to guide the coax cable? Good SWR reading.

IceBear505

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nesbit
Member #

Wow nice install and placement. I have a similar Wilco hitch and was wording about wiring to it for a backup camera, so you have me some ideas. You must have a very powerful drill. I'm assuming you drilled through the hitch to guide the coax cable? Good SWR reading.
Thanks! Actually, I used the magdaddies to route the coax back to to the right tail light grommet and then along the right side of the cabin interior.

Antenna was mounted into the plastic cap facing the tailgate. I think it came out pretty clean and good performance without wacking the garage or whipping in the wind (too much).

Reactions: RoarinRow