access ladder for suburban/tahoe? | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

access ladder for suburban/tahoe?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

caj13

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Auberry, CA, USA
First Name
carl
Last Name
johansson
Good day everyone, i don'tr know if this is the proper subforum for this question, if not, someone please tell me ., or just have the mods move it to the approptiate place.

I have just signed up here, because I went looking for an answer to my question, and so far no luck. I am currently transitioning to my newest overland vehicle, a 1998 6.5 diesel 3/4 ton suburban with 33" tires and a mild 2" lift. I spend alot of time traveling the western states fishing tiny creeks and streams, so I'm hoping good mileage and a dependable platform. I have a bed in back, but i like to throw the full camp stove, a 10 X 10 popup with walls and screens, etc up top, so I can set up a comfortable base camp.

and that brings me to my question/ issue.
I really want a ladder to give me easy access to the rack up top. I can't recall seeing one an a tahoe/suburban . anyone have any sources? ideas? or derision you want to shoot my way, I'm all ears!

caj13

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Auberry, CA, USA
First Name
carl
Last Name
johansson
Thanks for the tip, i went to GOBI racks, looks to me like they have a bias against GM stuff - not listed on their brand list at the top!

TahoePPV

Rank VI

Member III

Buda, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Does your Sub have the barn doors? I wonder if you can find a ladder from a full size van that might work with a bit of tweaking.

North American Sojourner

Rank IV
Adventure

Contributor III

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Custom make it or have it made. I made this to access my gear from the roof. Materials are about $25-30. Weighs 14lbs.
Zim
IMG-1418 (1).JPG

IMG-1273.JPG

EDIT. I built the entire camper. I don't think you could hang a ladder on a typical roof rack. Can you post some pictures?

Last edited:
Reactions: 9Mike2

caj13

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Auberry, CA, USA
First Name
carl
Last Name
johansson
Thats badass man, I assume that folds up and stores away? I'll posr photos As soon as I can, but the rig is currently 1000 miles away getting a 2" lift, 33" tires, and a complete going through & refresh. turns out those diesel burbs are hard to come by!

caj13

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Auberry, CA, USA
First Name
carl
Last Name
johansson
I use my 33 wheels as steps. 5'7" here and it works for me.
right, but I'm 65, have 2 titanium knees. If I climb up on the tires, getting down would be the issue. I really need to be able to walk around on the roof, not jusr access stuff, I have a solar panel, a big weather proof carrier bag, a 6 ft table & chairs, I really need to get up there to store stuff correctly

KD7WCD

Rank V
Founder 500

Member III

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham Callsign
KD7WCD
Thanks for the tip, i went to GOBI racks, looks to me like they have a bias against GM stuff - not listed on their brand list at the top!
If you contact them they are pretty helpful. Were more than willing to build up a rack for my Hummer H3. I ended up doing my own thing because of I could build it in a couple of weekends where they had a 4 to 8 week turn around and we had a summer vacation that we could not wait on.

Last edited:

KD7WCD

Rank V
Founder 500

Member III

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham Callsign
KD7WCD
I have found the same kind of issues finding such parts for my H3 Hummer. It is not a mainstream vehicle that you can drive off a lot so there is not as much marked to the more unique vehicles.

If you are into the DIY option a ladder is pretty straightforward. This is a good video that might give you some ideas.
I have found the last couple of projects I have done on the Hummer that is was the best option for me.

Even if you don't have the DIY inclination you might look around for a local fabrication shop. If you have a clear idea of what you want you may be surprised at the cost. Someone with the right tools and experience can crank out something like a ladder pretty quickly.

Keep us up to date. Would love to see what you come up with.

North American Sojourner

Rank IV
Adventure

Contributor III

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Thats badass man, I assume that folds up and stores away? I'll posr photos As soon as I can, but the rig is currently 1000 miles away getting a 2" lift, 33" tires, and a complete going through & refresh. turns out those diesel burbs are hard to come by!
LOL, no folding. I choose to do things as difficult as possible. I"m sure someone could cut it and put some hinges on it.
Thanks.
Zim

caj13

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Auberry, CA, USA
First Name
carl
Last Name
johansson
Yeah, I have the tools I need to build one, , and can come up with what I think is a pretty good design, but I wonder about mounting points? how/ where to be secure enough to hold the weight (250 lbs) without tearing out of the mount, and also if the mount would eventually be a leak point, where water could get down in there. I am also thinking of starting with an aluminum pool or pontoon boat ladder, and making it fit. (same issue, mounting points)

Reactions: 9Mike2 and TahoePPV

North American Sojourner

Rank IV
Adventure

Contributor III

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Yeah, I have the tools I need to build one, , and can come up with what I think is a pretty good design, but I wonder about mounting points? how/ where to be secure enough to hold the weight (250 lbs) without tearing out of the mount, and also if the mount would eventually be a leak point, where water could get down in there. I am also thinking of starting with an aluminum pool or pontoon boat ladder, and making it fit. (same issue, mounting points)
Send me a pic or two of what you have and I'll offer up some very rednek, deep south ideas...lmao. Kidding, post em up.
Zim