A very tasty, old school camping recipe.

• HTML tutorial

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I am amazed at the creativity and set ups the we see here, on IG etc for camp kitchen and camp cooking. There are some truly great chefs doing amazing cooking at the campsite and I am in awe sometimes at their skill. I tend to cook some pretty creative and interesting dishes at home but when I am out at camp I tend to slow it down and revert back to simpler recipes, perhaps you could even say recipes from a simpler time. Heck for the first time I even went the dehydrated food route for my 2021 trip and can honestly say I really found it to be super convenient and extremely tasty-I will caveat that by saying I dehydrated all the food myself so not pitching any brand.

With that in mind here is a recipe that would have been right at home when I was a Boy Scout in the 70s but still tastes great and is easy to make-a few substitutions and you could go out without any refrigeration and the stuff would stay good for a while.

I am curious to know how you approach meals while overlanding? Do you try to replicate the same food that you make at home, do you try to cook great food but not necessarily the complicated food you may make at home, or do you stick with the chips and burgers? I know time on the road impacts this but I think it is interesting. I am also curious if you find recipes and videos posted here from member YouTube channels helpful or painful?

Anyway-here is one that goes waaaay back but is surprisingly good.

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
Outstanding!
I commented similarly, on le Tube: add the dogs, onion and celery first, and you'll get some browning to them. Mo Flava, Mo Betta!

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Classic. It seems like I tend to go "fancy" camping and forget sometimes the classics are so great - they're classic for a reason right?

-TJ

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I like simple and classic camp food for sure, but If it’s my turn to cook, I don’t mind stepping up a peg either. Camp food does not mean same-old-shtuff or bland. If the group is mostly kids, like when my boys were in Scouts, we (the Parents and Leaders) would have the boys prepare meals, with some help and supervision). These were usually easier and quicker meals. If the adults were cooking- either breakfast or dinner, there were no holds (recipes) barred. One memorable trip, a Scout/Mountainman Rendesvouz, with the older boys, we brought a live Turkey to harvest and prepare using a keg-roaster. No one “had to” participate in harvesting or preparing it, but most wanted to. We also brought bags of prepared chicken legs, breast, etc. in case they felt compelled to pardon the bird. We ended up having several other troops stop by, as the smell attracted them like bears to honeycomb. It’s been over 10 years since that trip, and some of those boy, now men still remind me how much they enjoyed that trip and that meal.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Got any easy recipes for squirrel? Hard to beat a good squirrel perlieu. All dem bone doe!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I am curious to know how you approach meals while overlanding?
it all sounds good!
(except squirrel...)

the wife and i generally travel just the two of us and i pretty much do all the cooking since i do most of the eating :grinning:
we pretty much get up and go and dont get back to camp until dark, so i generally do coffee and a hearty breakfast and then sandwiches for lunch and depending on what's going on, usually a decent warm meal for supper. i like using leftovers or bits and pieces of stuff, like onion, mushrooms, meat, cheese and add egg and do a breakfast burrito. one pan to clean and no plates since its a burrito. here is a link to a typical burrito i make. this one was when my oldest son and i were in the ozarks a couple years ago.
i do a lot of burritos and a lot of rice dishes. i really like the knorr envelops of seasoned rice...just boil water and add the package and have seasoned rice in 8 minutes. then i add canned beans and fried Spam, etc to that and make a one pot meal. one of my favs is to get a pot and fry pieces of Spam and remove. use that pot to cook instant white rice and then add the Spam, canned blackeyed peas and a can of rotel and let simmer a few and then eat. very filling and easy to make with little clean up and no items that need to be refridgerated.
burritos are my biggest thing when camping because there isnt anything that won't make a good burrito...just heat it all together and add cheese and hotsauce...

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

it all sounds good!
(except squirrel...)

the wife and i generally travel just the two of us and i pretty much do all the cooking since i do most of the eating :grinning:
we pretty much get up and go and dont get back to camp until dark, so i generally do coffee and a hearty breakfast and then sandwiches for lunch and depending on what's going on, usually a decent warm meal for supper. i like using leftovers or bits and pieces of stuff, like onion, mushrooms, meat, cheese and add egg and do a breakfast burrito. one pan to clean and no plates since its a burrito. here is a link to a typical burrito i make. this one was when my oldest son and i were in the ozarks a couple years ago.
i do a lot of burritos and a lot of rice dishes. i really like the knorr envelops of seasoned rice...just boil water and add the package and have seasoned rice in 8 minutes. then i add canned beans and fried Spam, etc to that and make a one pot meal. one of my favs is to get a pot and fry pieces of Spam and remove. use that pot to cook instant white rice and then add the Spam, canned blackeyed peas and a can of rotel and let simmer a few and then eat. very filling and easy to make with little clean up and no items that need to be refridgerated.
burritos are my biggest thing when camping because there isnt anything that won't make a good burrito...just heat it all together and add cheese and hotsauce...
For years and years b'fast burritos were our go-to. If I'm camping without the wifey, it still is. But many years back one of my buddies that always camped with us (he had his own trailer, but just a member of our "regular" group) worked for a local butcher shop. The place makes aaaaaaaaaaaamazing marinades, sausages, etc. So he'd always bring lbs and lbs and lbs of marinated TriTip, Skirt Steak, sausage, marinated chicken etc. He'd be grilling up lbs of meat like 2-3x a day so we always had a crap-ton of left-overs, and that meant breakfast burritos daily. We'd always go to his trailer for b'fast, cuz I'm not a super early riser or a "morning person", or at least I didn't used to be back then (I was always the last guy up around the campfire with a drink in his hand at night... so mornings were... rough). Well, I know it sounds crazy, and it's borderline sacrilegious, but we totally burned out on b'fast burritos. Part of it was he'd use everything he had left, so it'd be like 2 different flavors of sausages and a wine and spice skirt steak that just didn't "go" in a breakfast burrito, but part of it was just the quantity/frequency. Anyway, the one exception that my wife will still eat are potato chorizo breakfast burritos my bother-in-law makes.

-TJ

Draykas

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Buffalo, Missouri, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Sharp
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
we do some prepping before hand. Example is cook noodles and put in ziplocs for each meal. do the same with peppers onions and veggies. can mix and match with meats works good and makes it quick after long day driving or trail riding. You can make several things. such as

Chicken or shrimp fried with stir fry veggies and olive oil in cast iron pot add noodles and get hot

breakfast burritos add salsa

rice and sausage with peppers and onions add some rice

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

For years and years b'fast burritos were our go-to. If I'm camping without the wifey, it still is. But many years back one of my buddies that always camped with us (he had his own trailer, but just a member of our "regular" group) worked for a local butcher shop. The place makes aaaaaaaaaaaamazing marinades, sausages, etc. So he'd always bring lbs and lbs and lbs of marinated TriTip, Skirt Steak, sausage, marinated chicken etc. He'd be grilling up lbs of meat like 2-3x a day so we always had a crap-ton of left-overs, and that meant breakfast burritos daily. We'd always go to his trailer for b'fast, cuz I'm not a super early riser or a "morning person", or at least I didn't used to be back then (I was always the last guy up around the campfire with a drink in his hand at night... so mornings were... rough). Well, I know it sounds crazy, and it's borderline sacrilegious, but we totally burned out on b'fast burritos. Part of it was he'd use everything he had left, so it'd be like 2 different flavors of sausages and a wine and spice skirt steak that just didn't "go" in a breakfast burrito, but part of it was just the quantity/frequency. Anyway, the one exception that my wife will still eat are potato chorizo breakfast burritos my bother-in-law makes.

-TJ
Burritos and a hangover should definitely be considered a classic camping cuisine combo! But as you mention there are times when you can get too much of a good thing so having good bench depth is never a bad idea.