Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

In doing a little research for my next tire purchase I was a little amazed in the difference in width and weight on tires . I am mostly looking into a 315/75r16 and by looking at my quick bit of research you can see a big difference anywhere from 11.6” to 12.8” wide and as light as 62lbs all the way up to 82.4. So when you see one person gets a tire to fit on their rig but your rubbing even though they are technically the same size and why you have dropped 3-4 mpg and they only dropped 1 you may now know why . A1FE9876-BD15-44C6-870D-0131806116B3.jpeg

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Out of curiosity, are all of these tires the same ply rating or load range?

My 285/70/17s are 10PR load range E and 58.9 lbs. Falken offers the same size tire in a P-Metric as opposed to my LT, in a 4PR standard load at 50.5 lbs or 6PR load range C that is 62.8 lbs.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

My 285/70/17s are 10PR load range E and 58.9 lbs. Falken offers the same size tire in a P-Metric as opposed to my LT, in a 4PR standard load at 50.5 lbs or 6PR load range C that is 62.8 lbs.
With a weight range of 62 to 82 they are not likely to be the same load range. There are also all-terrain tires mixed in with mud terrains so there are bound to be some large differences.

But to the point of the thread, yes, tire size doesn't tell the whole story. :)

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Not sure on the ply rating , I was mostly concerned with width and weight

Reactions: JCWages

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

You need to buy the correct LR or it'll either ride like a lumber wagon or stand a chance of a blowout.
But yes, as you state in the original post, this is why ride and mpg can be dramatically different.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
In doing a little research for my next tire purchase I was a little amazed in the difference in width and weight on tires . I am mostly looking into a 315/75r16 and by looking at my quick bit of research you can see a big difference anywhere from 11.6” to 12.8” wide and as light as 62lbs all the way up to 82.4. So when you see one person gets a tire to fit on their rig but your rubbing even though they are technically the same size and why you have dropped 3-4 mpg and they only dropped 1 you may now know why . View attachment 123373
That's where those alphabetical letters at the end of the tire description apply when you buy a tire. I recently encountered this on my tire purchase. I was looking at two different AT tires from the same mfg. and though the tires were the same size (265-75r-16), the tire I bought had deeper tread, weighed several pounds more, had an E rating, and was 1.5" wider than the other tire. The price was 10$ more as well and the sidewalls were a higher ply.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
In doing a little research for my next tire purchase I was a little amazed in the difference in width and weight on tires . I am mostly looking into a 315/75r16 and by looking at my quick bit of research you can see a big difference anywhere from 11.6” to 12.8” wide and as light as 62lbs all the way up to 82.4. So when you see one person gets a tire to fit on their rig but your rubbing even though they are technically the same size and why you have dropped 3-4 mpg and they only dropped 1 you may now know why . View attachment 123373
That's where those alphabetical letters at the end of the tire description apply when you buy a tire. I recently encountered this on my tire purchase. I was looking at two different AT tires from the same mfg. and though the tires were the same size (265-75r-16), the tire I bought had deeper tread, weighed several pounds more, had an E rating, and was 1.5" wider than the other tire. The price was 10$ more as well and the sidewalls were a higher ply.
You really have to do your homework.
TRUE, and it pays to do so !

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Definately compare the ratings and sidewall plies as well. Some tires come in an LT (C, D or E) load rating which means they have more/thicker carcasses/sidewalls compared to P-metric or SL rated tires. They will be more robust and stand up to abuse better and in many cases they have much deeper tread. Mud terrains and some all terrains also offer 3ply sidewalls instead of the typical 2. These tires are very puncture resistant and can handle being aired down very low yet still be durable. All of that durability and tread depth adds weight. And be aware that there is a difference between regular ply ratings that come with load ratings (C=6, D=8, E=10) and sidewall ply ratings. Assume all tires are 2ply rated for sidewalls unless stated otherwise or they are mud terrains which almost always offer 3plies. Generally speaking.

It's pretty amazing how much an aired down tire can fold when going through obstacles. You need a strong sidewall to avoid damage. This is an LT285/70/17 Wildpeak A/T3W at 15psi on a slanted rock. Times like this I wish they were a true 3ply sidewall. lol

Same pressure but on a flat surface. Tires move around a lot more than we usually think. :)

And then there are times when a simple little stick goes right through the sidewall of your "tough" E-load tires while on a tame dirt trail.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Definately compare the ratings and sidewall plies as well. Some tires come in an LT (C, D or E) load rating which means they have more/thicker carcasses/sidewalls compared to P-metric or SL rated tires. They will be more robust and stand up to abuse better and in many cases they have much deeper tread. Mud terrains and some all terrains also offer 3ply sidewalls instead of the typical 2. These tires are very puncture resistant and can handle being aired down very low yet still be durable. All of that durability and tread depth adds weight. And be aware that there is a difference between regular ply ratings that come with load ratings (C=6, D=8, E=10) and sidewall ply ratings. Assume all tires are 2ply rated for sidewalls unless stated otherwise or they are mud terrains which almost always offer 3plies. Generally speaking.

It's pretty amazing how much an aired down tire can fold when going through obstacles. You need a strong sidewall to avoid damage. This is an LT285/70/17 Wildpeak A/T3W at 15psi on a slanted rock. Times like this I wish they were a true 3ply sidewall. lol

Same pressure but on a flat surface. Tires move around a lot more than we usually think. :)

And then there are times when a simple little stick goes right through the sidewall of your "tough" E-load tires while on a tame dirt trail.
Very well illustrated and explained.
Your tire cross section is definitely wider than your tread width. The tires I just bought are the same width on tread as the cross section. I dont know about rocks but they are supposed to be excellent in sand, water and snow, which is what I encounter the most.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Very well illustrated and explained.
Your tire cross section is definitely wider than your tread width. The tires I just bought are the same width on tread as the cross section. I dont know about rocks but they are supposed to be excellent in sand, water and snow, which is what I encounter the most.
For sure. When at street pressure the cross section is closer to the tread width but since most of us air down off-road I think it's important to point out how different they look and will interact with the trail. :) Which brings up another point Shaun was making. These Wildpeaks appear way larger than the BFG KO2 in the same size and ratings. They spec out larger as well so when someone ways they fit a KO2 without rub, that doesn't mean a Wildpeak or Duratrac in the same size won't rub.

As for your tires, I look forward to some snow performance results. :sunglasses:

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Those wild peaks are quite amazing in the snow, actually in all conditions the get a lot more traction then they look like they should . They start to struggle a little when you get into a couple feet of snow but so do most all AT tires .

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Think of tire sizes as categories not true dimensions. A tire that has a 10.5" width rating will have a different rim rating than a 12.5" width. One 315 can be long and tall at 10.5" but another can be short, square and fat at 12.5".

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Think of tire sizes as categories not true dimensions. A tire that has a 10.5" width rating will have a different rim rating than a 12.5" width. One 315 can be long and tall at 10.5" but another can be short, square and fat at 12.5".

Actually all the 315s have the same rim rating 8-10”