A Little Taste of Moab, UT.

• HTML tutorial

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
Very nice. When were these taken? If there is no snow there now we may head that direction in the next few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I've only been to Moab once, but I've been wanting to go back ever since. I loved it out there. Great pictures!

UtahOverlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Heber City, UT
Member #

i'm going to moab in march and would love to do this route you posted...what the trail name?

thanks, jeff
Look at Gemini Bridges and Long Canyon. Easy routes (when no snow or not muddy) but still fairly easy. Wouldn't take a 2 wheel drive on them. It's worth the views. You may already be familiar with Moab and everything I'm going to write from here, but just in case there are others interested, here it goes.

If you're going to be doing trails in Moab I suggest the "Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails" spiral book by Charles A. Wells. Both these trails are document in the book. Both are listed as Easy. Keep in mind that March through October is the busy season in Moab. Expect lots of rigs and lots of people. Make reservations in advance. Have a great time. Please don't hesitate to contact me for any additional details or just to talk about Moab.

One more thing, stop at the Moab Information Center on Center street. Great information on trails, maps, history, and just very helpful people.

Ok, last thing, camping. Camping used to be allowed on BLM land, but now there are some restrictions. You must have a chemical toilet (of some kind) within 30 miles of Moab. Hard to patrol, but just keep this in mind. I could go on and on, but just do some research and let me know if I can help.

Todd
W5MTN

Reactions: jeffs blackjeep

UtahOverlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Heber City, UT
Member #

I can help with some of the easy stuff, but if you're rock crawlin' or want to do trail names like Poison Spider or Hell's Revenge, I'm out. Fun to watch. A lot of these trails can be done and the tricky parts may have bypasses. But again, do the research.

Todd
W5MTN

Reactions: jeffs blackjeep

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

I so just want to go out there, make camp in a dozen different areas and watch sunrises and sunsets in that gorgeous stone heaven ! I love me some rock for whatever weird reasons...lol

UtahOverlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Heber City, UT
Member #

I feel blessed to live here in Utah. But half the fun is getting to where you want to be. I travel all over the country and find beautiful places in every state in this GREAT Country.

Kait&Alex

Rank I

Contributor III

Rochester, NY
Member #

Look at Gemini Bridges and Long Canyon. Easy routes (when no snow or not muddy) but still fairly easy. Wouldn't take a 2 wheel drive on them. It's worth the views. You may already be familiar with Moab and everything I'm going to write from here, but just in case there are others interested, here it goes.

If you're going to be doing trails in Moab I suggest the "Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails" spiral book by Charles A. Wells. Both these trails are document in the book. Both are listed as Easy. Keep in mind that March through October is the busy season in Moab. Expect lots of rigs and lots of people. Make reservations in advance. Have a great time. Please don't hesitate to contact me for any additional details or just to talk about Moab.

One more thing, stop at the Moab Information Center on Center street. Great information on trails, maps, history, and just very helpful people.

Ok, last thing, camping. Camping used to be allowed on BLM land, but now there are some restrictions. You must have a chemical toilet (of some kind) within 30 miles of Moab. Hard to patrol, but just keep this in mind. I could go on and on, but just do some research and let me know if I can help.

Todd
W5MTN
Such great information! We are heading to Moab, Utah in June for the first time. Will be there for about a week. May venture to other beautiful areas. Wanting to camp, hike, and do some easy trail riding. New to the area and new to overlanding but not new to camping or loving the outdoors. Any help on great places to camp would be so very much appreciated. : )

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Great post, thanks. We are headed to New Mexico in May then turning north for Utah. We will get to the Blanding/Monticello around the 14th. I have tried to find the rules and regulations and did not run into the chemical toilet rule but we travel with one. We did find that dogs are not allowed in the Canyon Lands National Park so we will have to stay out of that area. I have done a little reading about Lockhart Basin Rd and my son would like to see the area north/west of Moab. There are areas of Utah full of beautiful rock formations and canyons and then there are areas of flat low brush. Since we only have a week I would like to see the rocks you guys are famous for since we have plenty of flat desert here in SoCal. We dry camp, we like minimal rock crawling, minimal people, maximum sunsets and cool stuff to look at. Should I start with the books you recommend? Do you mind giving us some guidance? I will follow this thread or you can PM me or if you prefer, my email is markdickens2000@yahoo.com