Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

With the JKU being as popular as it is I thought I would contribute an article to help fellow Jeeper Overlanders along with the lifting of their rigs.

The Jeep JK/JKU is the most recent addition to the Jeep Wrangler family. Since it hit the streets a decade ago it has garnered much attention from the Jeep crowd. It has been a versatile weekend warrior/daily driver for people ranging from soccer moms to hardcore Jeepers. As such, there are a lot of aftermarket products available. Lift kits being one of the more popular and desirable options.

Understanding what you want vs. need will help you begin your journey upwards. The most critical factor to keep in mind is that altering a vehicles factory suspension geometry can have both beneficial and costly effects. Because of the design of the Wranglers suspension it is often required to do more than just add taller springs or spacers. This is one reason why there are so many posted questions on the internet about what lift is best or why does my Jeep handle poorly. Let me offer my experience in suspension and let’s discuss a few of these things. Keep in mind that I am not an expert but I have been around a bit and understand a few things.

Several components are affected by a lift. How much they are affected depends on how high the lift is. No matter the lift height one this is a guarantee: lifting a Jeep Wrangler will:

A) Bring the axles closer together by shortening the wheelbase.
a. This is due to the control arms not being longer.

B) Offset the centerline of the axles side to side in relation to the right and left side of the frame.
a. The front track bar is adjustable but the rear is not. The axles will swing to the right side of the vehicle around .5’-1” approximately.

C) Increase the angle of the sway bars and cause them to be less effective.
a. This means that too short of end links and the sway bars will tilt downward causing them to be less effective.

D) Change the caster and toe settings
a. Caster is the rearward “tilt” or “roll back” of the axle. The further forward the “tilt” the lower the number and the worse the handling is.

How much each of these changes depends on the amount of lift you choose.

For most, a 2”-2.5” lift will alter each of these only a minor amount. You will need longer sway bar links. Most time the rear can be moved to the front so you will only need to buy the longer rear links. The rear links are longer than the front so they can be reused if they are in good condition. You will want to consider an adjustable rear track bar or drop bracket, and adjustable front lower/rear upper controls arms. These are not required but they are certainly good to have. This will allow your axle centerline corrected and allow for front and rear caster to be closer to factory specs, greatly improving handling. It will also set the wheelbase closer to factory by allowing the axles to move further apart and be more centered in the wheel arches. Longer shocks are always a possibility but, depending on the type of off-road environment you’ll be in, spacers may suffice.

For lifts that are 3”-4” you are going to need the longer adjustable control arms to allow the alignment angles and the wheelbase to return to a more desirable number. Longer sway bar links front and rear will be needed as well. Adjustable track bars and a drag link flip kit will be important here, too. Longer shocks will also be needed to allow for the additional travel of the suspension as well as new longer bump stops. Without those new parts, the handling will be “typical lifted Jeep” which is to say…poor.

Keep in mind that you can lift your Jeep anyway you choose but the overall handling and safety are going to be compromised. If you are going to spend the money to lift your Jeep take the time to make it ride and drive well. I am not going to tell you how to spend those hard-earned paychecks but you’d do well to heed a little advice and play it smart.

One thing to bear in mind when it comes to lifting a rig for overlanding, bigger is not always better. Most will never need a lift over 2.5" for the places they intend to go. The higher you go the higher the center of gravity goes and, when adding lots of extra overhead gear, this can lead to trouble when climbing up or down an obstacle.

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Wise words friend.

Our "lift" is nothing more than upgrading the stock unlimited sport's suspension to the Rubicon suspension. Going from 17/56 to possibly 19/58 or 19/59 and the only reasons is to beef up the suspension as to allow for heavier components.
Thank you sir.

Sometimes the simplest upgrade is the best upgrade. I cannot tell you how many people I have met that have overdone it in the lift department. My buddy has 4+ inches, larger tires, and all of the bolt-ons and cannot follow my line without a flop. I know this because I have recovered him before. SO far, my 2.5" lift has gotten me everywhere I wanted to go.

Reactions: HankinWI and NCIG88

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I have a similar ordinance and have fought it with my HOA...and won. I run a business from home and my garage is used for that. My parking garage at work is another matter. I LITERALLY have a half inch of clearance.

Stiffer Springs will make it more bouncy for sure but only when unloaded. There are some coils designed for overlanding (AEV, I think) that are stiffer to allow for more weight but I think they are taller. If you are happy with the ride spacers can work but a set of beefier shocks will help control the added weight better.

Thank you. I hop e I can help some fellow Jeepers get a better ride and handling from their rigs.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

Don't forget the driveshaft. If you lift 3" or above you should seriously consider a new front driveshaft. The stock CV style driveshaft has a rubber boot on it which can come into contact with the exhaust on later models and melt, causing grease to leak and foreign objects to get in, thus ruining your driveshaft.

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Don't forget the driveshaft. If you lift 3" or above you should seriously consider a new front driveshaft. The stock CV style driveshaft has a rubber boot on it which can come into contact with the exhaust on later models and melt, causing grease to leak and foreign objects to get in, thus ruining your driveshaft.
Very good point. I was focused on the mall crawler type but should have considered my audience here. I will amend the original post to include that detail.