A concept log

• Thread starter Deleted member 14476
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial
D

Deleted member 14476

Hey there. I wanted to start a thread dedicated to logging different concepts (go figure) relating to Overlanding.

Technology, design, engineering, whatever it falls under, it’ll be logged here, big or small, simple or complex. No discrimination here. It’ll be cool to hear feedback along with other’s ideas and thoughts on this thread. Should be a nice change of pace than usual.

Going to reserve the first page up for thread construction and then go from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 14476

The IoT(internet of things) and Overlanding: What could be possible.

What is the IoT?
Wikipedia describes it as “The Internet of things (IoT) describes physical objects (or groups of such objects) that are embedded with sensors, processing ability, software, and other technologies that connect and exchange data with other devices and systems over the Internet or other communications networks.” So basically, things that are connected to the internet (like your smart fridge)
But there’s a lot of other uses for the IoT besides your fridge sending you a notification that you’re low on almond milk. A lot.

Looking at the website CalChip Connect (the largest distributor of IoT products) we can see the long catalog of different sensors, trackers, and other categories.
“But Conner,” you say “we’re going Overlanding! There’s none of that darn internet out there! Heck my cell phone barely works at times!” Well, that’s where it gets a little more complicated….

One solution is Starlink. I believe this company will be fundamental to the evolution of the internet as times goes on. I’ll be dedicating a post to this as well and my thoughts on them. Their satellite internet program though, would be the only (I believe) present solution.
Overlanding is a pretty rural hobby, and that’s one of their focuses is connecting the rural areas better to the internet. Their satellites are pretty small, definitely portable and maybe even small enough someone could eventually make a mount for them on rigs like another antenna. The internet speed they promise is 100-200mb/s, which is way faster than you’d ever need really. I also like they have no data caps, I believe the price is also $99/mo. So theoretically, this would cover your internet needs for your rigs while Overlanding. Anywhere.

The other solution, which I personally believe to be way more interesting (although much, much more complicated) is the Helium Network. The Helium Network is described by Amir Haleem (CEO & Co-Founder of Helium) as “Helium is a blockchain network that leverages a decentralized global network of Hotspots — devices that double as network miners and wireless access points — initially to provide long-range connectivity to Internet of Things (IoT) devices, and long-term to connect anything to the internet via a decentralized wireless network such as 5G. Hotspots can be deployed by anyone and enable individuals to earn Helium’s native HNT coins in exchange for providing devices with connectivity. This decentralized, blockchain-based approach allows wireless infrastructure to scale more rapidly and at a fraction of the cost of traditional models.”
To be continued.

D

Deleted member 14476

So..your looking for new ideas, modifying current ideas, building current ideas. any or all?
Just spit ballin with a scope really. I like looking into new things that can be applied to what I like, and this is a good way to organize my thoughts while being able to edit, upload media, and hear what others think

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I can understand Starlink being something nice for remote area. Thats pretty much what its designed for but i'm kinda lost with Helium. If you look at what IOT is actually used for and the support network it requires, I don't see a future in having that with remote camping. Inner city and some rural sure. As long as you can keep coming into range of the "hot spots". Granted, I only have a bit of knowledge regarding this (had a long dinner conversation over IOT and data mining) but I have studied it for container tracking and such. I also don't know of it having enough bandwidth to support anything other than a few packets.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14476

I can understand Starlink being something nice for remote area. Thats pretty much what its designed for but i'm kinda lost with Helium. If you look at what IOT is actually used for and the support network it requires, I don't see a future in having that with remote camping. Inner city and some rural sure. As long as you can keep coming into range of the "hot spots". Granted, I only have a bit of knowledge regarding this (had a long dinner conversation over IOT and data mining) but I have studied it for container tracking and such. I also don't know of it having enough bandwidth to support anything other than a few packets.
I think the Starlink would be the only realistic one that you could do currently. You could use the Starlink as the MITM for the helium devices though, and helium’s network LoRaWAN I believe can carry signal for miles. I think this could be useful just off the top of my head for group navigation using trackers in each rig, with one rig having the Starlink sat.

RedArc Helium vehicle management device anyone?

D

Deleted member 14476

Overland Rig Central Computer System (ORCCS):

I’m gonna stuff a PC in my truck, maybe incorporate it into a center console. Stay tuned.

Naturally I want to use my Raspberry Pi, but I think I’ll just get frustrated by the lack of horsepower eventually for the GUI heavy tasks.

3/26/22: This setup would need to be liquid cooled I feel to perform best and not be an obstruction.