gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall
Hey guys, so I am starting my 97 XJ build today. I have owned this jeep for about 8 years now. I haven't done much with it since life has gotten in the way, deployments, moving, job etc but now I am selling my 2016 chevy Colorado to save some money. I am planning on using my Jeep as a daily driver as well as my adventure vehicle. I am planning on doing this as low cost and DIY as possible and I will be looking to you guys for inspiration and help along the way. I live not too far from Built By Fluffy so hopefully I will be spending some time with him and his wife while we work on our projects together!

Attachments

gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall
So today was a busy day, I took all 5 wheels off and had the tires removed from the rims. She is now sitting on jack stands. the next goal is to prep and paint the rims with paint I have already, and while I have the tires off I am going to check the breaks and lines and note any leaks that ill have to take care of when I replace the suspension. Anyone have any tips for painting the rims or things I should check

Attachments

Reactions: stoney126

renodemona

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TCT
Hey nice XJ! I see you're down in G-ville, have you made it up for any of the Reno Overlanding group's events? They meet 2nd Wed of each month at Famous Dave's BBQ.

gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall
Hey nice XJ! I see you're down in G-ville, have you made it up for any of the Reno Overlanding group's events? They meet 2nd Wed of each month at Famous Dave's BBQ.
Thanks brother. No I haven't, I just got into all of this to be honest with you. I've been off roading and camping out of my rig for a while but I haven't had my rig up and running in years. I have just gotten back into it, if that's an invite though id love to check it out

renodemona

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TCT
Thanks brother. No I haven't, I just got into all of this to be honest with you. I've been off roading and camping out of my rig for a while but I haven't had my rig up and running in years. I have just gotten back into it, if that's an invite though id love to check it out
Yup definitely an invite! I know the pain of real life keeping me away from adventures so glad you are able to get back to it. I'll be at the meeting in Sept after rebuilding the fuel system for like the 4th time.

Reactions: gummybear

renodemona

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TCT
I've seen lots of people use that plasti dip spray paint but you have to clean the surface pretty good or it doesn't stick well. I'm not too knowledgeable on the XJs but generally I'd say replace the wearable parts since you got the wheels out of the way. Never hurts to replace the fluid either. I don't know if that year is new enough to have the wheel spin sensors? I know on some of the Liberty's they go out all the time and make the traction control not work right. What tires you looking at, or just off to paint the rims?

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
You’ll want to wash the rims really well with soap/water then wipe them down with acetone/rubbing alcohol and make sure they are completely dry before painting. While painting you want to spray them with the paint can horizontal, not down from above. That will give you a more even coat and eliminate the can dripping on the wheels. Nice ride! I’ve always had a thing for the XJs

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Nice XJ! Whatever you do, don't paint the Turbines black. Those wheels would look great in a gunmetal or dark bronze.

Parts I would suggest carefully inspecting/replacing. Front: Pads, caliper, rotor, wheel bearing, ball joints, axle shaft u-joint, tierod end, control arm bushings, trackbar and trackbar bracket. Rear: Pads, rotor, wheel cylinder, bump stop, leaf bushing, shackle bushing, shackle.

gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall
You’ll want to wash the rims really well with soap/water then wipe them down with acetone/rubbing alcohol and make sure they are completely dry before painting. While painting you want to spray them with the paint can horizontal, not down from above. That will give you a more even coat and eliminate the can dripping on the wheels. Nice ride! I’ve always had a thing for the XJs
Thanks, and yeah I personally have always loved the xj since I was a kid.

gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall
Nice XJ! Whatever you do, don't paint the Turbines black. Those wheels would look great in a gunmetal or dark bronze.

Parts I would suggest carefully inspecting/replacing. Front: Pads, caliper, rotor, wheel bearing, ball joints, axle shaft u-joint, tierod end, control arm bushings, trackbar and trackbar bracket. Rear: Pads, rotor, wheel cylinder, bump stop, leaf bushing, shackle bushing, shackle.
Thanks for the list, I've started checking most of that but its nice to have a second set of eyes on the list of things to check just too make sure I don't forget anything

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

It's great your starting to rehab the XJ. Way too many folks have turned the XJ into off road warriors thus trashing them and the numbers are dwindling. A few suggestions;
DO NOT put some giant lift under it. Way to much stress and parts replacement.
DO NOT put giant tires on it. Too much stress on the stock unibody for daily driver
DO upgrade the shocks, break lines and replace all hoses

If you're going to use it as a daily driver a 3 inch lift, with shocks, springs (leaf pack and front) works extremely well with 31 inch tires.

Check and repair rusty floors and panels. Rust kills these thin body SUVs.
Think mechanical first. Anything that effects safety, drivability and reliability should be addressed first.

Be prepared for the unexpected. Repairing a rusty rocker can turn into a can of worms!

Attachments

gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall
It's great your starting to rehab the XJ. Way too many folks have turned the XJ into off road warriors thus trashing them and the numbers are dwindling. A few suggestions;
DO NOT put giant tires on it. Too much stress on the stock unibody for daily driver

If you're going to use it as a daily driver a 3 inch lift, with shocks, springs (leaf pack and front) works extremely well with 31 inch tires.

Think mechanical first. Anything that effects safety, drivability and reliability should be addressed first.

Be prepared for the unexpected. Repairing a rusty rocker can turn into a can of worms!
thanks for the advice, I just bought 31's yesterday and I was thinking the exact same thing with the lift. honestly I'm not looking to turn this into a king of the hammers champion, just a capable off road overland vehicle

Reactions: Motoboss

gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall

I'm having difficulty trying to fine the right suspension lift for it though. I see some have 3" up front and 2" in the back and others are 3' front and rear. if I want it level which oe should I go with?

GoneJeepin

Rank 0

Contributor I

Middle TN
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
McDavid
On the lift if I remember right it depends on which rear axle you have. Some have the Mopar 8 1/4” some gave a Dana 44.
We are going with a Rubicon Express 3” on our 96.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Welcome, nice XJ.
As far as the wheels... I think leaving the spokes and the lip brushed and painting the area between the spokes might look good.
And something I don't say to guys too often...."Nice rack". :tearsofjoy:

• Haha

gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall
On the lift if I remember right it depends on which rear axle you have. Some have the Mopar 8 1/4” some gave a Dana 44.
We are going with a Rubicon Express 3” on our 96.
Yeah I have a Mopar 8.25 rear I was thinking the same thing but if it’s two different axels then I was thinking I’ll have to do 2” up front and 3” in the rear

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

if I want it level which oe should I go with?
Think about the gear you may be hauling around, unloaded a little rake (high in the rear) wouldn't be a bad thing so that it sits more level when loaded with friends and/gear or hauling a trailer instead of dragging ass.

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

I'm having difficulty trying to fine the right suspension lift for it though. I see some have 3" up front and 2" in the back and others are 3' front and rear. if I want it level which oe should I go with?
On the lift I went with the Rough Country 3 inch. It came with shocks, springs, short arms and rear leaf pack. I did replace the shocks with Bilstiens 5100 as the RCs sucked.

gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall
So quick update. I have started inspecting the undercarriage and I’m going to have to do a lot of work to get this thing on the road. The front and rear breaks are in super rough shape, the tie rod end boots are all shot, and the shocks are fried. Pretty much the only good things left on the undercarriage is the leaf springs. I’ve also noticed a leak coming from what appears to be my rear main so that’s exciting. I ordered new tires, super cheap from Walmart. So those should be in by Tuesday. I also notice that the hose connecting the air box to the throttle body is somehow missing so I need to find a replacement for that but it looks like I’ll have to buy a whole new intake system for that since I can’t find just the hose anywhere except for eBay for like $50. I’ve also noticed the rear diff has a class 1 leak coming from the the diff cover and the front of the t case. The diff cover I’m not so concerned with since I have to change all of the fluid anyways and I will be changing the gasket when I do that but the t case have me slightly concerned. I have a few pictures but will post them and the rest of the pictures when I get home tonight