Sierra Grandstand Tour_ easy family fun run. - 09/09/2017

• HTML tutorial

The Mighty Expedition

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Concord, CA
Member #

Come join us at beautiful Pinecrest Lake off hwy 108 in Northern California.

We will explore a scenic 24 miles from Pinecrest down Dodge ridge to Long Barn. Approx 15 miles on dirt. Many possibilities for side trips. 4wd is Not required. Bring a picnic lunch and spend the day. Some of us will be headed back up to Pinecrest to camp at or near the lake.

Click on the gold RSVP box to get in on the fun.

View Rally Point
Last edited:

Trd_ydg

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Modesto CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Puscizna
Member #

Guys I just bought a mid classed drone on Amazon. Fairly cheap one but reviews say it's decent. Can't wait to take some sweet shots on the trail

The Mighty Expedition

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Concord, CA
Member #

I called the Summit Ranger station at lunch today. The very nice ranger lady told me our route is open and beloved to be in good condition.

Green light.

OverlandHiker

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger II

Livermore, CA
First Name
Bennett
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6LPD
I will be leaving Livermore at 7:00 am tomorrow morning. According to Google it should take 2:40 to get to Summit Ranger Station. I will have my wife, son and one of his friends with me. We plan on heading back to Livermore Saturday evening; no overnight camping for us this trip. Looking forward to a great day!

MtnManAmI

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Layton, UT
Member #

Can anyone tell me what the condition of the trail was in when you did this trip two months ago? I was under the impression that the trail has been neglected for several years, and was going to organize a project with overlanders to clear up any debris. My grandfather, Herbert McLean, helped get the Sierra Grandstand Tour started, and when he passed away two years ago I thought that it would be awesome to make sure that the trail is still in good condition. I have been in contact with the Forest Service Ranger (now retired) who was the Forest Service's representative for this project, and she is very interested in helping. I'm also wanting to replace any signage which is now missing, or which is in poor condition. I live in Utah, so I'm needing to do some long-distance planning. Thank you!!!

Reactions: k9sar

OverlandHiker

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger II

Livermore, CA
First Name
Bennett
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6LPD
Hi

The trail is okay, but sinage is a problem. It is difficult to locate all of the points of interest along the route, and I think there are a few places where the current forest road does not follow the original route.

An updated map and write up for the tour is probably also worth considering. We got a handout from the Ranger station at Pinecrest. We tried following it mostly, but didn’t find a couple of the things described.

Overall, it was a great day trip and we had a lot of fun.

Cheers

— Bennett

MtnManAmI

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Layton, UT
Member #

Hi

The trail is okay, but sinage is a problem. It is difficult to locate all of the points of interest along the route, and I think there are a few places where the current forest road does not follow the original route.

An updated map and write up for the tour is probably also worth considering. We got a handout from the Ranger station at Pinecrest. We tried following it mostly, but didn’t find a couple of the things described.

Overall, it was a great day trip and we had a lot of fun.

Cheers

— Bennett
Thank you for this Info!!! This was very helpful. I'm hoping to get out there next Summer, and will use this information you provided. Thanks!

The Mighty Expedition

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Concord, CA
Member #

Thank you for this Info!!! This was very helpful. I'm hoping to get out there next Summer, and will use this information you provided. Thanks!
This is a nice tour. There are a few spots where the brush is encroaching on the road. As Bennett mentioned some signage is missing or lacking. I would be most interested in helping restore this route.
Even more so with the family history connection..
Please keep us informed,

Chris

MtnManAmI

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Layton, UT
Member #

This is a nice tour. There are a few spots where the brush is encroaching on the road. As Bennett mentioned some signage is missing or lacking. I would be most interested in helping restore this route.
Even more so with the family history connection..
Please keep us informed,

Chris
Thanks Chris! I'll be sure to re-visit this thread once we have a plan in place. I'll be coming from Utah to do the work on the trail, so I'm needing as many "local" connections as I can get!

MtnManAmI

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Layton, UT
Member #

Hey everyone! I have been working out details with the Forest Service, and have been approved to provide a day of service on the Sierra Grandstand trail. I'll be posting a new thread, but wanted to hit this thread up as well in case anyone would be interested. I'm currently planning on Friday, July 13th (which also happens to be my grandfather's birthday), but if that day is out of the question for most of those who are wanting to volunteer, then I could move it to Saturday, July 14th. Please let me know if you'd like to help out! We will be cleaning up the trail, and replacing signs all over the route.
I'm also looking into updating the map, as suggested by OverlandHiker, but will most likely need to wait until after we have taken a look at the trail.
Thanks!

The Mighty Expedition

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Concord, CA
Member #

Hey MrnManAml,
Glad to see you are making this happen!
I was hoping to be part of your effort but my son and I will be on a 4 week 3,000 mile road trip this July.
Wish you the best. Keep us posted.
We will probably run your route in late September. Look forward to seeing the new stuff!

Reactions: MtnManAmI

MtnManAmI

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Layton, UT
Member #

Hey MrnManAml,
Glad to see you are making this happen!
I was hoping to be part of your effort but my son and I will be on a 4 week 3,000 mile road trip this July.
Wish you the best. Keep us posted.
We will probably run your route in late September. Look forward to seeing the new stuff!
I imagine that this will end up being a multi-year project, with me returning to the trail every three years (at least) to just keep the trail well maintained, so I'll be sure to return to this thread as often as I do. Thanks!!