Launch Member

Advocate I

Harrisburg, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
E
Member #

What's going on everyone! Welcome to the build thread for my '92 Turbo Diesel Land Cruiser. I bought this vehicle in August 2018. I've owned several 4WD vehicles in the past but this has to be my favorite one to date. For the most part, I've always owned a JDM vehicle (my other car is a '91 R32 GTR). Besides loving the 90s style JDM vehicles, one of the best parts of the Land Cruiser is definitely the 4.2L Turbo Diesel.

I do not have gigantic plans for a "build" but they will be mild. I already spoke to my buddy who did my full weld in cage in the GTR, along with the IC Piping, exhaust, fuel cell cage and then the turboback exhaust on the LC as well. He is going to make sliders, front bumper and rear bumper/tire carrier. I also plan on doing shelves in the rear at some point.

I've done some minor things to include new speakers in all around, sub and amp, a new Pioneer screen, remote start and keyless entry.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QQSJDH]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dfu65V]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QSUE1i]

Enjoy the few pictures I have. I will be sure to always grab more but I got a new phone so I do not have them on here!
[/url][/url][/url]

theogzilla

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harrisburg, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
E
Member #

Well....my “mild” build has begun!

After doing some pretty extensive research on multiple spring/shock setups, I was put in contact with Darren from 4xOverland and Kevin from Endless Horizon Outfitters. I spoke to them for multiple hours and picked their brains about suspension components. After conversing for a majority of the day, I placed my order with Kevin from EHO for a Slinky Stage 4 setup. I am not thrilled with my current setup. I have zero idea what brand it may be. The ride isn’t the greatest and the articulation is crap.

Now for the bumper setup. My buddy who was going to make my bumpers is extremely busy so after researching numerous bumper setups, I ended up contacting Mike from BumpitOffroad. I am currently on his list to get one of his winched front bumpers!

I’m excited for the build to come together in the coming months! Thanks for those that are tuning in. If you’re interested in following along outside of OB, I have a YT channel/IG, @theogzilla

I must add that both Darren and Kevin were extremely helpful! I had a ton of questions for them and they proceeded to answer each and every one without hesitation. Every answer had a detailed explanation as to what I wanted to know. Kevin took great care of me and I’m excited to get my new suspension setup from Endless Horizon Outfitters!

Reactions: Chadlyb

theogzilla

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harrisburg, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
E
Member #

Good evening everyone! Sorry it’s been a while since I last posted. Just wanted to update the build thread! The Slinky Stage 4 Suspension has arrived and will shipped out from Endless Horizon Outfitters today! I’m extremely excited to get everything for the LC!

I’ve added a Front Runner roof rack a few weeks ago. I have yet to add any attachments to it but she’ll get some down the road!

Last but not least, I’ve removed the flares and side moldings off the LC. I removed the flares because I’ve managed to crack them while off-road. They seem to be more of an annoyance than actually serving a purpose. I believe the LC actually looks better without them! I also removed the side moldings earlier today. I love it! It brings out the natural body lines that the 80s possess. Hope you guys like it and I’ll update ya when the Slinky kit is installed!!

Stryder

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Miles
Member #

Sorry, I did not see this. It was already here! I bought it from a buddy who runs a JDM dealership in Virginia! My R32 GTR I imported myself from a buddy in Canada.
I am seeking a diesel LC. Would you be comfortable in sharing your friend’s business contact info? Feel free to PM me. Thanks, in advance!

theogzilla

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harrisburg, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
E
Member #

Well ladies and gents, the Slinky Stage 4 is finally installed! Thank you to Endless Horizon Outfitters for the kit. I ordered this kit a while ago and the wait time was definitely worth it! Below are some detailed pictures of the Slinky kit. I ordered a Slinky Stage 4 Kit. On top of the kit, I also ordered adjustable front/rear panhards, adjustable rear UCA, LCA and Caster Correction plates.

Before this installation, I knew I had one blown shock. It was leaking after an off-road even that I attended. While removing the previous setup, I discovered that 3 out of my 4 shocks were actually blown. This setup was a HUGE upgrade for me and I cannot wait to take it off-road.

These pictures were taken after my alignment that I got earlier this afternoon. I am extremely satisfied with this kit. I am glad I decided to just go straight for it instead of trying other setups and then eventually ending up with this. I will definitely chime in with the group once I take it off-road. As far as street driving, it rides like a dream!

Again, big thank you to Endless Horizon Outfitters for supplying this kit. Amazing customer service and answered all the questions I had about this kit before purchasing it.

For those that do purchase this kit, I did make a brief install video that could help you along the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk8Tx47AWn4

Hope you all enjoy the pictures!

I am set to go off-roading on July 7th so I'll report back and let you know how the kit performs!

Bugout80

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Fernando
Last Name
Alvarez
Member #

Awesome rig. I just got a '94 FZJ80 f from Japan (RHD) like yours, very cool. Looked originally for the HDJ81's, a bit more pricy but extremely low miles from Japan. Have you found any rubber floor mats in the states? Weather Tech doesn't make them for RHD...

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Vey nice rig mate. Where do you get parts for it?

I could not find a diesel 80 here in the west coast, so ended up converting one including DMV registration. We had a 1993 FZJ80 since 1998 as a family car, and once the engine died, we had an option to give it away, or resurrect it. We chose the second. After $40K, it came back to life. I love the way it drives and gets 21-26 mpg.

Here is the blog to the build...

Reactions: Bugout80

Bugout80

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Fernando
Last Name
Alvarez
Member #

Well ladies and gents, the Slinky Stage 4 is finally installed! Thank you to Endless Horizon Outfitters for the kit. I ordered this kit a while ago and the wait time was definitely worth it! Below are some detailed pictures of the Slinky kit. I ordered a Slinky Stage 4 Kit. On top of the kit, I also ordered adjustable front/rear panhards, adjustable rear UCA, LCA and Caster Correction plates.

Before this installation, I knew I had one blown shock. It was leaking after an off-road even that I attended. While removing the previous setup, I discovered that 3 out of my 4 shocks were actually blown. This setup was a HUGE upgrade for me and I cannot wait to take it off-road.

These pictures were taken after my alignment that I got earlier this afternoon. I am extremely satisfied with this kit. I am glad I decided to just go straight for it instead of trying other setups and then eventually ending up with this. I will definitely chime in with the group once I take it off-road. As far as street driving, it rides like a dream!

Again, big thank you to Endless Horizon Outfitters for supplying this kit. Amazing customer service and answered all the questions I had about this kit before purchasing it.

For those that do purchase this kit, I did make a brief install video that could help you along the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk8Tx47AWn4

Hope you all enjoy the pictures!

I am set to go off-roading on July 7th so I'll report back and let you know how the kit performs!

Last edited:

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Don't know if the price is good, but there is an imported one for sale local to me.

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

The link isn't showing up on my phone. It's a 1991 with the 4.2 diesel imported from Japan a couple years ago. Asking $21xxx.