'86 Samurai Micro Expo

• HTML tutorial

CoolMooseMan

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Junction City, Oregon
Member #

I got my little sammi, Rosie as she is so named, about 3 years ago and she has been a work in progress ever since. I am sure that she will always be a work in progress, which is fine by me!

It had a few modifications done to it when I got it, the PO used it as his hunting rig occasionally, but not much else:

-15 Gallon gas tank upgrade
-2" Calmini shackle reverse lift
-1.6 8v Sidekick engine
-Homemade rear cage-ish thing

Then I started working on it, and making improvements where I saw the greatest need and where the funds were available:

-The 8v blew, so I scored on a 16v Tracker engine with wiring harness and everything else needed. I got a new Petrowerks mount kit for the engine and transmission to lower everything to make the engine fit

-1" body lift to help the engine fit
-Replaced the Transmission and Transfer case, both of which had not been rebuilt properly and blew up on me.

-I made a new rear bumper and rock sliders

-Spartan auto locker in the rear
-Stereo, most important improvement so far!
-Roof Rack
-100amp GM alternator
-Electric radiator fan
-Bedlined the outside

Everything has run great since the changes that I have made for about 2 years now, been driving every single day!

As for the future, these are some ideas I have:

-I will make a new front bumper with a winch on it
-All LED lighting
-Spring over lift (soon!)
-Spartan locker in front
-Dual battery setup
-The list will probably be added to!

And here she is today!

I also have a plan in the near future to build an expedition trailer, because camping with two people is hard with all the gear. We do a Suzuki camping trip in November in Eastern Oregon in the snow, so we have to carry a lot of gear to keep warm!

CoolMooseMan

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Junction City, Oregon
Member #

Great to hear from some Sammi enthusiasts! I will be posting soon the build of the spring over kit that is on its way! Also a minor engine rebuild! It's been a long time coming to do this work to it, so I am very excited!

CoolMooseMan

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Junction City, Oregon
Member #

Just a little teaser.

All of the parts are in to do my SPOA lift, another 4.5"of lift.
20170303_182128.jpg

Eventually go with 30" - 32" tires, as skinny as I can find them.

Also going to pull the engine out to replace the engine mounts that I snapped, and replace most seals on the engine without tearing it all down because it runs like a champ still, just leaks a little oil.

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

Just a little teaser.

All of the parts are in to do my SPOA lift, another 4.5"of lift.
View attachment 18189

Eventually go with 30" - 32" tires, as skinny as I can find them.

Also going to pull the engine out to replace the engine mounts that I snapped, and replace most seals on the engine without tearing it all down because it runs like a champ still, just leaks a little oil.
If you want that height but skinny, check out 235/85 r16... it's something like a 32x9.5, which is hard to find. Not many other sizes include the 85 aspect ratio.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using OB Talk mobile app

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

Nice ride, a few guy's in my 4x4 club run sami's. They're borderline unstoppable. The 235-85-16 is the stock tire for early gm 1 ton truck, Ron

CoolMooseMan

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Junction City, Oregon
Member #

Definitely, even the way mine is currently set up, 2" lift, a lunchbox locker in the rear, and a little bigger tires than stock I have a blast showing up $30k rigs built up that can't make it up or around what I can.

CoolMooseMan

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Junction City, Oregon
Member #

If you want that height but skinny, check out 235/85 r16... it's something like a 32x9.5, which is hard to find. Not many other sizes include the 85 aspect ratio.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using OB Talk mobile app
So I am not too familiar with tires and wheels, as mine don't often change sizes. If I were to go with the 235/85/16, I would need new rims as mine are 15". What size 16" rim would I have to go with? 16-8 or 16-10 or what?

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

Check out tirerack they give rim recommendations in the specs section for tires. My dually wheels are 6-7 inches wide, I'll get a measurement and let you know for sure, Ron

CoolMooseMan

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Junction City, Oregon
Member #

Alright! I have had all the pieces for the lift for a little while now.

20170415_150953.jpg

And I have been needing more flex for a long time!

FB_IMG_1483032837434.jpg

So I started with disassembly of everything.

20170415_151000.jpg

I also picked up a spare rear axle with a locker in it locally that I am going to swap into the front, because I already have an automatic locker in the rear.

20170415_150947.jpg

Not much progress, but cleaning and repainting things takes a long time!

To be continued...

Reactions: ASNOBODY

CoolMooseMan

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Junction City, Oregon
Member #

So then it came to the leaf springs.

I got new bushings and all new greasable hardware, hopefully to make the bushings last a lot longer. Getting a 30+ year old bushing out sucks!

20170422_133149.jpg

The I took the springs apart and cleaned them all off and repainted/put new wear pads and bushings on.

20170429_095646.jpg

New blue paint for the shocks. That is the theme for the underside, black hammered paint, and a dark blue on a few things.

20170507_105828.jpg

To be continued...

Reactions: ASNOBODY

CoolMooseMan

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Junction City, Oregon
Member #

Ok!

So shocks and springs were cleaned and painted.

Then came the gas tank skid plate that I had landed on one too many times. It had a broken mount that needed re welding, and it needed to be shifted back towards the rear of the vehicle as all of the mounts had bent towards the front end.

20170704_104609.jpg 20170704_104711.jpg 20170704_113540.jpg

Then came the axle.

20170712_213644.jpg

I cleaned it off where the perches and shock mounts were going and welded the perches on.

I mounted it to figure out where exactly I wanted the shock mounts.

20170704_120657.jpg
20170712_213639.jpg
20170704_120652.jpg

Everything was then welded on and tonight it paint night!

20170712_215903.jpg
20170712_215913.jpg

To be continued...

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Looks good so far, but just so you know mount the shocks like this / \ is not very good for vehicle stability especially if you plan on carrying heavier loads or towing a trailer