Old Control Road to Black Mountain Truck Trail Idyllwild, Ca Group #2 - 07/03/2017

• HTML tutorial

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Talked with Kathy this morning - we wold like to meet up with you and drive up part way with you. We will need to turn around and head home time to be back in Corona late afternoon if this is ok with you all? Daryl

PS144ONE

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whittier, California
First Name
Rudy
Last Name
Silva
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6DMP
Talked with Kathy this morning - we wold like to meet up with you and drive up part way with you. We will need to turn around and head home time to be back in Corona late afternoon if this is ok with you all? Daryl
Did you want to head out with us on Monday morning? or with @Jroettele on Saturday morning? I only ask as i thought you mentioned Saturday on the other forum thread? But you are more then welcome to come with us if you want to go out on Monday. The more the merrier.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Did you want to head out with us on Monday morning? or with @Jroettele on Saturday morning? I only ask as i thought you mentioned Saturday on the other forum thread? But you are more then welcome to come with us if you want to go out on Monday. The more the merrier.
Monday? Thought you were going out Friday or was that Frank and someone else? need to read through the post. Kathy has to work on Monday and we have family from out of town we need to see Sunday morning.

We only have time this week end for a drive on Saturday.

PS144ONE

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whittier, California
First Name
Rudy
Last Name
Silva
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6DMP
Monday? Thought you were going out Friday or was that Frank and someone else? need to read through the post. Kathy has to work on Monday and we have family from out of town we need to see Sunday morning.

We only have time this week end for a drive on Saturday.
Yeah one group is going Saturday morning. https://www.overlandbound.com/event/old-control-road-to-black-mountain-truck-trail-idyllwild-ca-group-1/

2nd group going on Monday morning https://www.overlandbound.com/event/old-control-road-to-black-mountain-truck-trail-idyllwild-ca/

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Well Kathy and I meet up with Jeff an Ellen in Corona at Starbucks this morning at 8 am and heading to Idylwild. Drive was nice and easy going out the Ramona Expressway to the 74.

Note the first road off the 74 looks like a private drive - go slow and respect the residents.
Drive is mostly easy and clear, as i maybe with no issues in my 99 F250 2wd. We maybe ran into 7 vehicles coming the other way.
We had lunch at the river crossing - two other 4x4s and some bikes.
Couple of area's get tight for the Super duty with drop off on drivers side and 2 to 3 foot rocks on the passenger side pushing you over to the edge.

Biggest issue it it get REALLY dusty in some areas. One spot was 3 to 4" of silt.

Thank you Jeff and PS144ONE for the trek!

Looking forward to the next trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: PS144ONE

PS144ONE

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whittier, California
First Name
Rudy
Last Name
Silva
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6DMP
Well Kathy and I meet up with Jeff an Ellen in Corona at Starbucks this morning at 8 am and heading to Idallwild. Drive was nice and easy going out the Ramona Expressway to the 74.

Note the first road off the 74 looks like a private drive - go slow and respect the residents.
Drive is mostly easy and clear, as i maybe with no issues in my 99 F250 2wd. We maybe ran into 7 vehicles coming the other way.
We had lunch at the river crossing - two other 4x4s and some bikes.
Couple of area's get tight for the Super duty with drop off on drivers side and 2 to 3 foot rocks on the passenger side pushing you over to the edge.

Biggest issue it it get REALLY dusty in some areas. One spot was 3 to 4" of silt.

Thank you Jeff and PS144ONE for the trek!

Looking forward to the next trip.
Glad to hear you made it out there! Thanks for the update. Did you make it all the way up to Black Mountain? What was the total time from end to end? Post any pics if you have any.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

It took us 7 plus hours to make it to the Lake back at the 243, Kathy and I headed home from there Jeff and Elan ventured on.

Road was a little tight and rough in spots for a loaded JK with RTT - Jeff and Elene's rig. And then there was our monster/beast. Lots of 1 ft to 18" rocks at wash outs cause you to slow down. Nothing hard to get over just enough to make you slow to 3 to 5 miles and hr or so.

Again the biggest issue in some spots was the dust - we had to drop back from Jeff to be able to see the road and drop offs on some of the turns. Last 9 mile on the 406? back out to the 243 were the most technical and had the steepest climbs with some being pretty deep slit/sand. But the beast made the climbs with just a little "I think I can" and keep it moving!

Last edited:
Reactions: PS144ONE

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Reason I bring up the dust - when we returned home this evening the bed - inside of our shell is totally full of dust, so it would have been dirty to sleep in! Along with all our sleeping gear would have been dirty, I need to work on dust sealing our tail gate!