Rank II

Enthusiast III

Europe
First Name
s
Last Name
K
Hi guys!

I would like to share a fun little project i've been working on the last couple months..
Yes a couple of months lol, because i am in no rush and constantly figuring out the right way to do things and then waiting on parts to come in.

My goal was to make a drawer module i can use as a "chuckbox" or for general storage when not camping.
I wanted it to be relative lightweight, sturdy, and just make camp cooking less of a hassle.
I was using a Alu Box to house my camp cooking supplies, worked ok but constantly getting stuff in and out while cooking on top for example was not ideal.

Here's what i made:

KIST TOPO FRONT CROP.jpgKIST TOPO ZIJDE CROP.jpgTOPO KIST GRIJS BRUIN CROP.jpg

I used 2020 aluminum extrusions for the main parts of the frame and a couple of 2040 parts as well.
The drawers i used are simple plastic open storage crates made here in Europe.. 60x40 centimeters..
I was thinking of making the drawers myself from wood but these are lightweight, fairly cheap, strong..
and well.. all-ready made lol.

The aluminum top lit comes of and serves as a food prep surface area when placed on the 2e or 3e drawer.

The idea is to place this module on 90CM / 34" long locking drawer slides in the back of my Outlander like most with some sort of drawer system do.
The module is not 100% ready yet, still need to figure some small things out but the most hard parts are ready.

I will share some "work in progress" pictures after i post this..

What you guys think?
I hope it makes camp cooking a bit more easy while on the move every day.

Last edited:

goforsidney

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Sidney
Member #

Im confused what angle are we looking at here? top down side? I am looking of doing a design like this for my 5th gen with some cub boxes from front runner. debating wood V. extruded aluminum so would help some more photos or info please.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Boreal Overland

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Europe
First Name
s
Last Name
K
Im confused what angle are we looking at here? top down side? I am looking of doing a design like this for my 5th gen with some cub boxes from front runner. debating wood V. extruded aluminum so would help some more photos or info please.
That would be : Front (drawers), Side and Back.
I will post some more photos of the box in use on a little camping trip.

Reactions: goforsidney

goforsidney

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Sidney
Member #

That would be : Front (drawers), Side and Back.
I will post some more photos of the box in use on a little camping trip.
Dope def interested in seeing these. Been thinking of changing out my wood setup for something like this.

Reactions: Boreal Overland

uncompromise

Rank V

Advocate I

Buzy, Pyrénées-Atlantiques, France
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

@Boreal Overland - love this. Have been checking out some of your other posts. Curious to know where you purchased plastic containers? I’m in France, and am looking at building something modular with these euro standard tubs so that we can store stuff in them in or out of our car. I find a lot of places that sell them online, but would love a recommendation on where you got yours.

Reactions: Boreal Overland

Boreal Overland

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Europe
First Name
s
Last Name
K
@Boreal Overland - love this. Have been checking out some of your other posts. Curious to know where you purchased plastic containers? I’m in France, and am looking at building something modular with these euro standard tubs so that we can store stuff in them in or out of our car. I find a lot of places that sell them online, but would love a recommendation on where you got yours.
Hi Mate..

I ordered them at:

Enjoy! They have very reasonable prices, and the products are great quality.

Cheers, Steve.

Boreal Overland

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Europe
First Name
s
Last Name
K
Dope def interested in seeing these. Been thinking of changing out my wood setup for something like this.
The module in use.. i think this should give you a better overview.

I really like working with wood, for me it's fairly easy and fast to work with..
But i have made a fair amount of projects with aluminum extrusions so far,
i like the looks and how strong it is for it's weight.
But it can get expensive fast, because of the special connectors, corners, nuts and bolts.
And if you over engineer things the weight ads up and might not be all that more lightweight than something build from wood.

Either way, good luck on your build.

Steve.