Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynchburg, Virginia, United States
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

Well the Bronco wasn’t working out and I have camping plans next year so so on to the next truck. Ended up picking up a Super Camper special F350. Simple build in mind. Bed rack with a ladder to put a tent and some night lights. IMG_1164.JPG

She runs great, needs some new tires and basic tuning up, patch the cab up here and there. She’s good to go!

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Cool project. I would start with replacing the wheels, you will never find anyone that will put new tires on those old split rims.
Next I would replace all rubber hoses including the brake hoses. All the belts, all the fluids will need to be swapped out too. Take a close look at all the brake parts like the master, slaves, and linings. Then new shocks.
It is going to take a bit of work to make it reliable, but it should be fun and a cool project. I love these old trucks.
I have a 1965 Chevy C10 that I am doing all of these things to also. Mine sat 22 years. Its getting there.

Aceconvoy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

Cool project. I would start with replacing the wheels, you will never find anyone that will put new tires on those old split rims.
Next I would replace all rubber hoses including the brake hoses. All the belts, all the fluids will need to be swapped out too. Take a close look at all the brake parts like the master, slaves, and linings. Then new shocks.
It is going to take a bit of work to make it reliable, but it should be fun and a cool project. I love these old trucks.
I have a 1965 Chevy C10 that I am doing all of these things to also. Mine sat 22 years. Its getting there.
I have a set of one pieces wheels from an 80’s F-series ready to go on once I can afford tires. I’m in the tire business and I remember when I bought the thing my older tire techs were screaming bloody murder about the wheels. Planning to replace fluids and rubber soon. I love older trucks as well!

Aceconvoy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

Update: new front tires and wheels, shopping around for a decent AT for the rear. Considering the K02 or Geolander. 235-86-16. New shocks are on the menu as well at some point. Hoping to get a couple of fishing and camping trips out of her this year before the floor and cab mount get replaced. IMG_2001.JPG

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
Man, you have ambition and huge optimism! Those old camper specials are still revered in the truck camper world. Looks like a fun project. Keep us updated!

Reactions: Aceconvoy

Aceconvoy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

I’ve been busy these past few weeks especially since I’m in a Furloughcation I’ve been able to work on the truck and find some positivity.

installed a tach and dialed in the timing and carb a lot better. Had to replace the water pump and thermostat a few weeks back finding out it was original and it started to leak on me.

I’ve been out in the woods a few times just testing it and trying to find out what I’m comfortable with but she’s been reliable so far and I couldn't ask for a cooler truck.

Attachments

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I love this truck. I am a huge fan of the older, simpler trucks. (I have a 1965 C10 and a 1990 Suburban) There is a lot of satisfaction in keeping an older rig on the road and knowing that you can fix almost anything that will go wrong. With it being a 1 ton type chassis you should have no issues with durability and with sensible driving it will take you anywhere you want to go.
Add a winch and some traction boards and you will be unstoppable.

Reactions: Aceconvoy

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
How wide are the 1 piece wheels you sourced? I am searching for a narrow steel wheel for my '66 K20 with the intent to run 235/85r16 tires.

I love the classics!

Aceconvoy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

A buddy and I installed some aux lighting to help with trail riding and night driving. Apparently it was too much for the original alternator which was going out anyway and had to get towed home last night.

purhased a new 1G alt to get back on the road but will be looking for a more powerful alternative for the future

Attachments

Aceconvoy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

A deal has been made on a parts truck. A buddy and I are going 50/50 I need a cab within the year so this will give me time to repaint the one on the parts trucks. And he’ll have a round eye conversion and other parts.

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
A deal has been made on a parts truck. A buddy and I are going 50/50 I need a cab within the year so this will give me time to repaint the one on the parts trucks. And he’ll have a round eye conversion and other parts.
What is a round eye ? That cab looks really good on this side, is it that clean on the other side ? What's wrong with your cab ?

Aceconvoy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

What is a round eye ? That cab looks really good on this side, is it that clean on the other side ? What's wrong with your cab ?
my buddy has a 77 with the square headlights but likes the earlier front end like mine. So he’s going to swap. My cab has enough holes on it to be Swiss cheese.