Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Hey all,

I have a 6' flat bed trailer I purchased a while back for $100 bucks! I've used it for camping and overland travel to carry gear, but am looking for other ideas for it. It has 30" tires, leaf/spring suspension, tilt bed and a VERY stout frame. One thing that irked me on my last trip using it was how all my boxes, gear, ice chest etc inside the cargo area shifted a lot on the trip...I need to eliminate this also.

Do you have a trailer you use for camping? Do you have any pics how you configured it?

I would like to eventually seal/close the trailer cargo area to minimize dust on my gear, but not sure how I am going to finalize that project. I would also like to have outside shelves, or ability to store more on outside. Here are some pics of where mine is now for how I have utilized it.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Scrap 2x4s can keep things from sliding around.

Here's mine, but I'm undecided on enclosing. At the beach I put a tarp on the front to keep the truck from kicking up sand and just deal with the rest. When not traveling I throw a heavy tarp over it and tie the corners.

Note the fold out cook top made from some heavy expanded metal. It hangs on the cattle panel using some threaded quick links and held level with a loop of light weight chain.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

one thing what is the trailers weight capacity? My I suggest a enclosed explorer box with rear door & side access door.
My trailer has a tonneau cover & I have dust that creeps in, but nothing like what you get. Google "Explorer Box" images. You might get some ideas about enclosing the trailer. Scott w\ Compact Camping Concepts can help you, he has a book he sales about building a explorer box. One thing to remember, build it to "your" self. you know what you have for gear & how far you want to go with this.
https://www.google.com/search?q=images+explorer+box&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis7NOb7svYAhVJyoMKHcLWAzQQsAQIKQ&biw=1206&bih=656

Reactions: ArmyofMike

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Sand finds its way into everything so I didn't bother to try, at least here most of it blows away. This way I still have a level of security but can also reach through and move stuff around.

I've been considering building the expedition box but I just haven't seen it as being worth the investment in materials. The kayak rack can be removed easily to turn it into an open utility trailer if I wanted. I already have an idea for panels to fit on the outside to enclose it but then I get to the space that stuff takes up and the money to build it, too little gain to be worthwhile for me.

Last edited: