Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I am wanting to add a snorkel to our 4Runner. I don’t “need” one, but at some point, I’ll dip deeper than expected, it happens. My default is the ARB, as I have had personal experience with them on a friends older taco. However, the dobinsons is literally half the price. Does anyone have any experience with either? Pros? Cons?

Years ago I bought an off brand for a Nissan hardbody, and it would ingest rainwater on highway. That’s my biggest hesitation, as it is our long distance/bad weather car as well.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Last edited:

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

I am wanting to add a snorkel to our 4Runner. I don’t “need” one, but at some point, I’ll dip deeper than expected, it happens. My default is the ARB, as I have had personal experience with them on a friends older taco. However, the dobinsons is literally half the price. Does anyone have any experience with either? Pros? Cons?

Years ago I bought an off brand for a Nissan hardbody, and it would invest rainwater on highway. That’s my biggest hesitation, as it is our long distance/bad weather car as well.

I also am on the fence with this decision. I cross the occasional steam but avoid really deep water. I have a diff breather for that but the reason for the snorkel would be clean, cool air. I don't like the look of the long run up the fender (due to 4Runner (5th gen) airbox location) and want to make sure I will get enough benefit before cutting large holes in the fender. Will be very interested to hear others thoughts.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Years ago I bought an off brand for a Nissan hardbody, and it would invest rainwater on highway. That’s my biggest hesitation, as it is our long distance/bad weather car as well.

I also am on the fence with this decision. I cross the occasional steam but avoid really deep water. I have a diff breather for that but the reason for the snorkel would be clean, cool air. I don't like the look of the long run up the fender (due to 4Runner (5th gen) airbox location) and want to make sure I will get enough benefit before cutting large holes in the fender. Will be very interested to hear others thoughts.
I actually have the fitting for diff breather extensions sitting in the toolbox right now. I’ve avoided water all together, and likely will continue too. When it’s possible. But, I’m close to the Ozark National Forest. It’s not always possible.