• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Youngstown, OH, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
F
Hi All,

New to the OB group, but wanted to get some thoughts from the experts. I'd love to get into overlanding for a multitude of reasons, but unfortunatly I don't have a great rig or $$ to buy/build an extra one. However, I've thought more about working with the cards I was dealt and have a potential option: My wife has a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited, and I'm thinking that will suffice for my needs (Northeast Ohio). It's the family car for our two kids so will still need to be a casual DD. Won't be a rock crawler, but will get me from Point A to Point B in an offroad scenario, mostly interested in car-camping with some additional capabilities. Of course I'd want to build this up in the future, but looking for thoughts on this as even an option. No 5th gens out there with true overland abilities, but I'm seeing this a a great option, just unsure why no one else has done it already..

Wheel Base: 112"
HP: 290
Torque: 255 @ 4000 rpm
^All similar to 4-door Jeep Wrangler or 4runner

Pros:
Independent Suspension (also a con in my mind)
Intelligent 4WD system (probably a con for most, but good ride quality and simplicity)
Great interior space & storage (possibly remove 3rd row)
Roof rack already
Fuel efficient
Already have vehicle ($$)
Many more

Cons:
Unibody chasis
No aftermarket products for off-road..... at all....
Poor clearance, skid protection, etc.
Independent Suspension (also a pro in my mind)
Many more

Would like to first get a suspension lift and work on clearance and beefier suspension (not much aftermarket) then tires (I think only up to ~31") next then on front/back bumper solutions with a winch for recovery. Not much more than that in long run.

Any input, thoughts?

Reactions: eagle_A40

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hi All,

New to the OB group, but wanted to get some thoughts from the experts. I'd love to get into overlanding for a multitude of reasons, but unfortunatly I don't have a great rig or $$ to buy/build an extra one. However, I've thought more about working with the cards I was dealt and have a potential option: My wife has a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited, and I'm thinking that will suffice for my needs (Northeast Ohio). It's the family car for our two kids so will still need to be a casual DD. Won't be a rock crawler, but will get me from Point A to Point B in an offroad scenario, mostly interested in car-camping with some additional capabilities. Of course I'd want to build this up in the future, but looking for thoughts on this as even an option. No 5th gens out there with true overland abilities, but I'm seeing this a a great option, just unsure why no one else has done it already..

Pros:
Intelligent 4WD system (probably a con for most, but good ride quality and simplicity)
Roof rack already
Fuel efficient
Many more

Cons:
Unibody chasis
Many more

Would like to first get a suspension lift and work on clearance and beefier suspension (not much aftermarket) then tires (I think only up to ~31") next then on front/back bumper solutions with a winch for recovery. Not much more than that in long run.

Any input, thoughts?
Don't know much the platform but personally I would give priority to tires and then lift. I find traction the priority no 1 if you are planning to take it off road.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My dad uses a 2001 Subaru GL wagon. All stock, no mods and he boes almost everywhere I go in my lifted Ram. He gets there a little more comfortably than I do. just dont drive it like you stole it and your choice is fine. My 3rd overland build was a first gen Explorer, and was very capable...

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

The reality is that most of the places you will want to go, you can get there in the Explorer just fine. I would add some more aggressive tires and some recovery gear. Most of the time Overlanding in the USA involves Forest Service roads, BLM land etc. These places have millions of miles of dirt and gravel roads. Nearly all of these roads are passable in a rig like you have.

I say go for it and see if you and your family enjoy it. If you do and find that the Explorer fails to meet your needs, or you want to go farther, then you can upgrade to something that better meets your needs, but for now you can get out and have fun. I bet you will find that there are very few places available to you that your current rig won't take you.

Reactions: Adventurer

Rfalexander

Rank 0

Contributor I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Alexander
Hi All,

Pros:
Roof rack already
Fuel efficient
Many more

Cons:
Unibody chasis
Many more

Any input, thoughts?
I have a 5th Gen explorer sport myself. I'm getting a body kit lift next week and found a suspension lift kit to get installed later this year.
Body lift kit:

Suspension lift kit, not verified it'll work yet but doing some investigation:
Dobinsons Suspension Kit for Ford Explorer U502 2012 on