5th Gen 4Runner passenger airbag shutoff?

• HTML tutorial

Jonny G

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Gorham, ME, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Gertig
Member #

Does anyone understand how to shut off the passenger side airbag for a 5th generation Toyota 4Runner? We are moving across the country shortly and we may be in a situation where our 60 pound dog may have to ride in the front passenger seat. I assume that there is a sensor in the seat that turns the airbags on/off, in addition to the seat belt warning indicator. Thanks for any help provided!

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
I would be surprised if there is a way to shut it off. Seems like a liability issue that Toyota wouldn't want to incur.

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

It cannot be shutoff manually. There is a weight/displacement sensor in the passenger seat which determines if the air bag is on or off for passenger. Your dog should be light enough to not trip it as my 12 year old son just barely turns the bag on. However....the not buckled seat belt chime will drive you nuts as it will not stop unless you actually go to dealer or use Techstream on laptop plugged into OBDII port to turn the chime off.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
It cannot be shutoff manually. There is a weight/displacement sensor in the passenger seat which determines if the air bag is on or off for passenger. Your dog should be light enough to not trip it as my 12 year old son just barely turns the bag on. However....the not buckled seat belt chime will drive you nuts as it will not stop unless you actually go to dealer or use Techstream on laptop plugged into OBDII port to turn the chime off.
A shut off button was a nice f feature on the classic 2001-2006.5 trucks. I rarely shut it off, but having it was nice. My 2003 2500 HD WAS either on or off. My 1/2 ton GMC could be shutoff, but had the Auto sensor, which would trigger a dash light if enough wt was detected. They both used the ignition key to shut it off/on.

I think the FEDS have since taken that option away. The children can't be trusted with that responsibility.