5lb Propane Tanks: before I spend $70+ for one, how much did you pay and where?

• HTML tutorial

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i was looking at a 5# tank a couple yrs ago and they were costing as much or more than a bigger tank, so i bought an 11# manchester tank for $75. now that same tank is $140 on amazon. i dont think you will beat the walmart price. flame king has a 5# tank that i see ever so often at home depot, lowes, etc and they are in the $60-70 range. they will probably only go up in price if you wait...

Reactions: H3lv

Misaruiz

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Misael
Last Name
Ruiz
i was looking at a 5# tank a couple yrs ago and they were costing as much or more than a bigger tank, so i bought an 11# manchester tank for $75. now that same tank is $140 on amazon. i dont think you will beat the walmart price. flame king has a 5# tank that i see ever so often at home depot, lowes, etc and they are in the $60-70 range. they will probably only go up in price if you wait...
Thanks for the insight man, just wanted to confirm!

Reactions: grubworm

TerraRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Walmart has these for ~$76 but the bigger ones cost less, I'm in San Diego, does anyone know where I can get one, maybe a local store who doesn't post online?

Thanks!
Prices have probably gone up. I paid around $50 to $55 at my local Ace Hardware store and about the same for the other one I bought at a local farm, feed, etc store. But that was about three years ago.

Last edited:

Misaruiz

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Misael
Last Name
Ruiz
5lbs or 5gal(20lbs).
5lbs are hard to find.
5lbs
5lbs or 5gal(20lbs).
5lbs are hard to find.
5lbs, I see the bigger sizes available and reasonably priced but they’re too big for my needs. I’m upgrading from 1lb Coleman cans, I don’t like them because they’re not technically refillable and create a lot of waste, also it’s pricey in the long run.

Reactions: TerraRoamer

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
If the tank is out of date the refilling station won’t touch it.
yep. a tank is good for 12 yrs from the date of manufacture. you can hydro test and recert them, but that costs nearly as much as the tank and then its only good for 5 yrs after that. on anything that can explode and kill me....i'll probably spend an extra $30-40 and get new. the wife and i spend $60 just going out for a meal and that lasts a few hours...why not spend the $60 on a tank that will last 12 years?

if you go cheap on anything, you go cheap on gifts for the in-laws...NOT propane tanks....

Last edited:

TerraRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Richland, WA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Walmart has these for ~$76 but the bigger ones cost less, I'm in San Diego, does anyone know where I can get one, maybe a local store who doesn't post online?

Thanks!
You probably won’t fine a better price, or not enough to make it worth your time.
I have been extremely happy having switched to them. I carry two and use them for my Colman stove, portable bbq grill(if I take it), propane fire pit, and Zodi shower system.

Reactions: Misaruiz

Misaruiz

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Misael
Last Name
Ruiz
Yea man, my local ACE Hardware was able to get one in for about $80. Good price and great size all around. I bought mine for the same reason, didn't want the waste of the 1 pounders around.
Thanks man, it helps to get real life experiences. WHat crossed my mind was that since everyone is enjoying the outdoors, some of these items are going scarce and they're blowing up the cost.