5 minute DIY - VAIR 450P ammo box holder

• HTML tutorial

willnicks

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

San Francisco
Member #

I love my 450P-A VAIR compressor. The 100% duty cycle works great when I have to fill up four trailer tires and then up the tire pressure in my truck for towing, as well as for airing up my truck and any friends after an adventure.

But. I do not like the bag the compressor came with. It is a bit generic fit-wise (too voluminous) and the zipper pulls are made out of pot metal - every pull is broken on my bag. The bag is also unpadded and does not offer any meaningful protection.

So I set out to find an ammo box to store the compressor in. This was more difficult than I imagined because the VAIR is a little long, about 13" from the tip of the air hose fitting to the end of the filter. The only ammo box that I found that fit was the Cabela's dry-storage ammo box. The VAIR fits in it perfectly.

I also added a couple cheap silicone pot holders (many found on amazon) to insulate the hose from the compressor cylinder. One I zip tied to the handle.

IMG_6514.JPG IMG_6513.jpg

willnicks

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

San Francisco
Member #

I like that setup! Seems like it would make packing it in a vehicle nicer than trying to stow a soft pack.
Yes, it seems that small soft bags have the tendency to end up on the bottom of a pile of larger soft bags. Many a time I have found the compressor bag at the bottom of a pile and winced to myself.

Reactions: TerryD

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

And they are in stock just four miles from me! Thanks!

I liked the nice bag it came in until I started using it a while. This makes much more sense.