Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

1998 E250 Ford Sportsmobile.

I'm talking to Tim and Timberline Vans about my 4x4 conversion.

I'm considering going with Limited Slip in the rear and lockers (ARB?) up front.

My logic is the LSD in the rear will provide traction and control in slick conditions and the lockers up front can be used judiciously when I need help in a tight spot.

Wheels will be 17" Method Race Wheels with Bead Grip and 265/70R17 Hankook Dynapro AT tires (I love these tires).

My mission profile will be forest and mountain roads and routes such as the Enchanted Rockies Trail and Mojave Road. No Rubicon or rock crawling. We plan on driving to Alaska and the Pan American Highway.

I'm pretty ignorant on this stuff, so what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Reactions: GLOCKer

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Its a lot of work and money to take a 2wd and make it 4wd. Not saying it can't be done.
If it were me I'd try to find a complete chassis from a junkyard engine,frame,drivetrain etc that is 4wd and use it instead of trying to make 4wd stuff fit in a 2wd frame.

Reactions: terryg

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

Its a lot of work and money to take a 2wd and make it 4wd. Not saying it can't be done.
If it were me I'd try to find a complete chassis from a junkyard engine,frame,drivetrain etc that is 4wd and use it instead of trying to make 4wd stuff fit in a 2wd frame.
I get your point, but there are shops that have been doing this conversion successfully for many years. I'm not aware of any factory 4wd E250's.

Timberline Vans is the company I'm going with and they have a good reputation.

Reactions: DevilDodge

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
I don't think Ford ever made a 4x4 Econoline van. All 4x4 Econolines are conversions, as far as I know. The ones sold through Ford dealers were 2wd units converted to 4x4 by Quigley. There are several reputable sources for 4x4 conversions, including Quigley, Sportsmobile, UJoint, Quadvan, and Timberline.

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

I don't think Ford ever made a 4x4 Econoline van. All 4x4 Econolines are conversions, as far as I know. The ones sold through Ford dealers were 2wd units converted to 4x4 by Quigley. There are several reputable sources for 4x4 conversions, including Quigley, Sportsmobile, UJoint, Quadvan, and Timberline.
Thanks, velo47. I researched those you mentioned and some others as well. The criteria of reputation and location made Timberline the best choice for me.

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

In the midst of building a 4x4 Van myself. Timberline is a great kit to go with, that was my initial plan until I found a UJOINT kit on craigslist for a deal I couldn't pass up

What engine does your van have? That'll determine quite a bit of how you can go about it (transmission 4x4 tailshaft, exhaust rerouting, etc.)

If you're doing this yourself, I highly suggest doing it on a lift if you can or get some quality (and very tall) jack-stands. I've been doing mine on a slopped drive way with harbor-fraught jacks and logs, big pucker factor there...

As for your traction devices. LSD in the rear is a good idea, that'll be far better in icy/snowing conditions you could see in mountains (I love Truetracs, or any torsion lsd). For the front a selectable is nice but not necessary, a Detroit auto locker would be half the price and get you the same results w/less complication. Other than ARB there is also OX Locker which doesn't need air lines but is selectable. I went with Truetrac LSDs front and rear for my van; simple, durable, no-human operation required.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I get your point, but there are shops that have been doing this conversion successfully for many years. I'm not aware of any factory 4wd E250's.

Timberline Vans is the company I'm going with and they have a good reputation.
Well I was implying you go get a drivetrain and engine from something else already with 4wd then modify the heck out of it to fit, get the driveshafts made to size. I guess its probably the same thing the companies that do conversions do except they would use existing parts.

You could still go to the junkyard and pull a f350 front axle and transfer case and whatever else you need to get it done and get custom length driveshafts made.

Where there is a will there is a way. The way it was done before conversion companies came into existence.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Lsd in the rear will be perfect. I am also partial to Eaton's Truetrac.

Up front is kinda up to you. If your front axle will have selectable hubs, you can run anything from a lunchbox locker to a Detroit. The world is your oyster. If you have the cash, an air or e-locker is the most convenient but there are very capable rigs out there running LSD's front and rear. As with all things, It's really a matter of preference and how often you think you'll utilize it.

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

Well I was implying you go get a drivetrain and engine from something else already with 4wd then modify the heck out of it to fit, get the driveshafts made to size. I guess its probably the same thing the companies that do conversions do except they would use existing parts.

You could still go to the junkyard and pull a f350 front axle and transfer case and whatever else you need to get it done and get custom length driveshafts made.

Where there is a will there is a way. The way it was done before conversion companies came into existence.
Good suggestions. Sadly, I don't have the time, talent, or interest in a DIY system.

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

Lsd in the rear will be perfect. I am also partial to Eaton's Truetrac.

Up front is kinda up to you. If your front axle will have selectable hubs, you can run anything from a lunchbox locker to a Detroit. The world is your oyster. If you have the cash, an air or e-locker is the most convenient but there are very capable rigs out there running LSD's front and rear. As with all things, It's really a matter of preference and how often you think you'll utilize it.
I'm glad I'm getting all the positive reinforcement on the eaton LSD. That's what I'm goin with and the ARB air lockers up front.

U

UgotWheelz

1998 E250 Ford Sportsmobile.

I'm talking to Tim and Timberline Vans about my 4x4 conversion.

I'm considering going with Limited Slip in the rear and lockers (ARB?) up front.

My logic is the LSD in the rear will provide traction and control in slick conditions and the lockers up front can be used judiciously when I need help in a tight spot.

Wheels will be 17" Method Race Wheels with Bead Grip and 265/70R17 Hankook Dynapro AT tires (I love these tires).

My mission profile will be forest and mountain roads and routes such as the Enchanted Rockies Trail and Mojave Road. No Rubicon or rock crawling. We plan on driving to Alaska and the Pan American Highway.

I'm pretty ignorant on this stuff, so what are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Have you looked at WeldTech YouTube channel? They do 4WD conversions but they also build a 2WD pre-runner style lift for the Ford Van! As a kid my family had a pop top 69 Ford Econoline camper van that we traveled in every school break. It was 2WD with a fairly low GC twin I-beam with a Ford 302 automatic on the tree that dad and I added a 4 barrel carb and dual exhaust to. We spend one summer driving to Seattle to and BC to see the World's Fair site than toured to California seeing all the tourists traps and theme parks along the way. We ended in Panama closely follwing the PanAmerican hywy, before shipping the van home and getting a ride back on a Military ship that Dad's buddy grew up with. I still have commanders stripes that the Captain gave me. A few years late we went all over Eastern Oregon following my Grandparents in the 2WD Ford F250 pickup with topper camper Rock Hounding. That 2WD van went anywhere and everywhere including some very sketchy roads in South America. One on memorable dried up river bed lined with sharp rocks that Grandpa called a wagon road which ended in a punctured tire and having to dig out under the van with an axe to change it. You would be surprised how far you can go with a 2WD Ford and IFS.