Paso Robles,California
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6SJV
I hope I'm posting in the correct forum for this question. I'm looking into TRD CAI and was curious if anyone has already installed one. I'm looking to see what gains you got out of it. Appears to be plenty of YT and other directions on the install, but haven't heard any gains after the install. Any changes in performance or noticeable noise from the engine? Thank you in advance to responses.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have not installed the TRD but, I've played with various CAI over the years and run a number of them on a dyno. I have however, seen the TRD system on a truck and spent some time looking at it closely. In my opinion, the new TRD system is pretty much a cool looking, expensive air box. On their web site, it shows one with a vacuum meter on it. It's the same one I run on my systems to tell if the air filter needs changing.

The air box's on modern vehicles are designed to flow the necessary amount of air. If your talking early 90's and older, those can be very restrictive and a better system is a must.

When choosing a CAI, the thing you need to watch for is, it must pull air from outside. Not all do and some open into turbulent air and actually can restrict at highway speeds. The TRD appears to pull from the same spot as stock. No loss or gain.

If the air filter is larger than stock you will get more life out of it and can run a more restrictive filter without suffering loss. High flow filters get that way because they flow, not filter. If the intake tube is metal, it gets hot and you lose power. The TRD I saw had a plastic intake tube and used the stock air filter. No loss or gain there.

The sad thing is, most of the CAI manufactures claim some incredible gains. That may have been true in the 70's. Most of the ones I've run on the dyno have either lost 7hp or lost part of the midrange torque curve. I don't see this issue with the TRD.

If your determined to get one, I would get the TRD. It appeared to be well made and designed to work with the vehicle properly.

Scott

Reactions: Radar

Radar

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Paso Robles,California
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6SJV
I have not installed the TRD but, I've played with various CAI over the years and run a number of them on a dyno. I have however, seen the TRD system on a truck and spent some time looking at it closely. In my opinion, the new TRD system is pretty much a cool looking, expensive air box. On their web site, it shows one with a vacuum meter on it. It's the same one I run on my systems to tell if the air filter needs changing.

The air box's on modern vehicles are designed to flow the necessary amount of air. If your talking early 90's and older, those can be very restrictive and a better system is a must.

When choosing a CAI, the thing you need to watch for is, it must pull air from outside. Not all do and some open into turbulent air and actually can restrict at highway speeds. The TRD appears to pull from the same spot as stock. No loss or gain.

If the air filter is larger than stock you will get more life out of it and can run a more restrictive filter without suffering loss. High flow filters get that way because they flow, not filter. If the intake tube is metal, it gets hot and you lose power. The TRD I saw had a plastic intake tube and used the stock air filter. No loss or gain there.

The sad thing is, most of the CAI manufactures claim some incredible gains. That may have been true in the 70's. Most of the ones I've run on the dyno have either lost 7hp or lost part of the midrange torque curve. I don't see this issue with the TRD.

If your determined to get one, I would get the TRD. It appeared to be well made and designed to work with the vehicle properly.

Scott
Scott,

I can't thank you enough for this info! I'm going back and forth adding one and this information helps! I wish I got back to you sooner, however I was on vacation in Zion.
Thank you again,

Robert

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I was on vacation in Zion.
Zion is cool. Was it starting to get green? I have only seen it in early winter. Utah is the only place I have yet to explore. Zion is the only place I've been.

Radar

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Paso Robles,California
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6SJV
Zion is cool. Was it starting to get green? I have only seen it in early winter. Utah is the only place I have yet to explore. Zion is the only place I've been.
Yes winter appears to be over! We spent 6 days there checking out as much as we could. There's a lot of snow melt in the higher elevation leaving plenty of mud to deal with. One of the waterfalls stopped pouring over the day after we arrived, but there were other waterfalls to make up for it. Crowds were not to bad. Angles Landing was more noticeable (crowds) but I guess that's to be expected because of the draw and small path. All in all the weather was good. It was our first time up to Zion and have to say, I was impressed. Zion has a lot to offer.

Reactions: smritte