4Runner advice please

• HTML tutorial

Britome

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Cincinnati, OH, USA
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Britome
Been an avid adventure rider on a bmw 1200gsa for years. Just rented this vehicle for a New Zealand exploration with my wife and I’m sold on making this my next hobby. IMG_4697.jpg
I think a 4Runner is the right vehicle for us. It can be her daily rider and our adventure vehicle. I know I’m walking the line between tricking it out to make it functional off-road but doing overkill for her daily use. I’m drawn to the TRD Pro. My questions...
  1. should I be locked into the trd line if I have the money or will other models do?
  2. buy something kitted or have fun building it.
  3. is stock suspension workable with all the extra weight that will be added?
  4. what should be added to the vehicle for functionality that won’t make the car a pain for her. Not sure she wants to climb into something that is lifted higher.
  5. what else don’t I know to consider?

Thanx for the help.

Reactions: Desert Runner

alx_alx_69

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Hope Mills, NC USA
Member #

I have a 2016 SR5 and love it...I did just do a 2.5 inch Icon stage 2 lift and it is no issue for my wife or small children to climb in and out, I preferred the base 4x4 model because I like to build it the way I want it. If you go on some of the 4Runner forums you'll see that most prefer to go that same route, but the TRD pro and TRD off-road models are quite capable in their stock form.

You will definitely need to upgrade stock suspension if you plan to Overland, I have 3 kids so when we go camping the roof rack is loaded as is the back, which helped me in my endeavor to convince my wife that a suspension and tire upgrade was necessary .

I went with the full mesh Baja rack and have been very pleased.

The main thing is there is tons of different builds and modifications out there that others have done so the research is easy, its just fine tuning it to your specific needs. Good luck

check this site, very good for 4Runner research

and this couple does some great vids on youtube

Attachments

jimmynotjim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

You can do all the Pro trim additions on your own with an Off-Road for far less than the difference in price, but you may find you don't even have to do much. So far my ORP has served really well as it came plus a few small additions.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Britome
Just rented this vehicle for a New Zealand exploration with my wife and I’m sold on making this my next hobby.
I think a 4Runner is the right vehicle for us. It can be her daily rider and our adventure vehicle. I know I’m walking the line between tricking it out to make it functional off-road but doing overkill for her daily use. I’m drawn to the TRD Pro. My questions...
  1. should I be locked into the trd line if I have the money or will other models do?
  2. buy something kitted or have fun building it.
  3. is stock suspension workable with all the extra weight that will be added?
  4. what should be added to the vehicle for functionality that won’t make the car a pain for her. Not sure she wants to climb into something that is lifted higher.
  5. what else don’t I know to consider?
First off I'd love more details about your NZ adventure. Probably best for another thread, Been thinking of doing something similar. Who did you rent through? Where did you go, Where were your favorites? Any that you would avoid? (why)...

To answer your questions from my point of view:
  1. Other Models will do. When I was looking the TRD Pro was ~$1500 suspension & tires upgrade with a bunch of stickers and a Retro Grill for about $11,000. Lots of folks buying them just to get the appearance then upgrading the suspension with aftermarket. I see plenty of TRD suspensions with <1k miles being sold on Craigslist.
  2. Up to you. I don't have the space or tools required to do a suspension upgrade so I picked out the kit and took her to Slee Offroad for the upgrade work. I've done other work that I do have the tools to do in the driveway.
  3. Not really, at minimum you'll likely want better springs to hold the weight. The shocks are good and reliable but added weight will sag the springs quickly leading to a rough ride.) stock Springs are really ment for hauling people on the road not a full load off road.
  4. I went with a 2.5" OME BP-51 lift, SPC Upper Control arms, BFG KO2 275/70/17 tires on TRD Pro Rims (lighter weight), and RCI rock sliders / Steps. I've built a set of drawers for the back and plan to install an RMR roof rack as well as a Ridgid 10" light bar this spring. No RTT for me as I've got a popup trailer I use for Base camp. My GF loves taking the 4runner in this configuration and drives it any chance she gets. (for reference she is far less enthusiastic for driving my nearly stock Tacoma.)
  5. Tire selection, under belly armor, and type / amount of recovery gear will depend on where you plan to take the truck and if you are traveling with others or alone. Seek local knowledge for the trails you plan to run and best tire setup for the area. Lots of good threads here with details on how to make these decisions.
I'd also suggest that you check out the forums over at t4r.org for more build examples, technical howto's, and general discussion of 4runners.

Boort

Britome

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Cincinnati, OH, USA
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Britome
@Britome

First off I'd love more details about your NZ adventure. Probably best for another thread, Been thinking of doing something similar. Who did you rent through? Where did you go, Where were your favorites? Any that you would avoid? (why)...

To answer your questions from my point of view:
  1. Other Models will do. When I was looking the TRD Pro was ~$1500 suspension & tires upgrade with a bunch of stickers and a Retro Grill for about $11,000. Lots of folks buying them just to get the appearance then upgrading the suspension with aftermarket. I see plenty of TRD suspensions with
  2. Up to you. I don't have the space or tools required to do a suspension upgrade so I picked out the kit and took her to Slee Offroad for the upgrade work. I've done other work that I do have the tools to do in the driveway.
  3. Not really, at minimum you'll likely want better springs to hold the weight. The shocks are good and reliable but added weight will sag the springs quickly leading to a rough ride.) stock Springs are really ment for hauling people on the road not a full load off road.
  4. I went with a 2.5" OME BP-51 lift, SPC Upper Control arms, BFG KO2 275/70/17 tires on TRD Pro Rims (lighter weight), and RCI rock sliders / Steps. I've built a set of drawers for the back and plan to install an RMR roof rack as well as a Ridgid 10" light bar this spring. No RTT for me as I've got a popup trailer I use for Base camp. My GF loves taking the 4runner in this configuration and drives it any chance she gets. (for reference she is far less enthusiastic for driving my nearly stock Tacoma.)
  5. Tire selection, under belly armor, and type / amount of recovery gear will depend on where you plan to take the truck and if you are traveling with others or alone. Seek local knowledge for the trails you plan to run and best tire setup for the area. Lots of good threads here with details on how to make these decisions.
I'd also suggest that you check out the forums over at t4r.org for more build examples, technical howto's, and general discussion of 4runners.

Boort
Very helpful guys. Thanx!

We rented the vehicles from “trekker adventures”. Good outfit with a good business model.

In another new twist, I’m thinking of just outfitting my 2500 Silverado which has the off-road package with bash plates , locking differentials, etc. There are some cool accessories for it and it and I’ll definitely not need to upgrade the suspension due to weight.

It is an easy and affordable way to dip my toes into the sport and make a more informed decision if there is another step.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Very helpful guys. Thanx!

We rented the vehicles from “trekker adventures”. Good outfit with a good business model.

In another new twist, I’m thinking of just outfitting my 2500 Silverado which has the off-road package with bash plates , locking differentials, etc. There are some cool accessories for it and it and I’ll definitely not need to upgrade the suspension due to weight.

It is an easy and affordable way to dip my toes into the sport and make a more informed decision if there is another step.
Silverado trucks are the red headed step child of off-roading. Under frame protection is few and far behind. Outside of OEM skid plates, all upgrades seem to be,offered by lift companies....4 to 6 inch.

Us stock or 2 inch LIFT owners are SOL. Found a company that offered rock sliders at $1400. If you lived in CANADA, there are a couple companies that cater to the oil field crews, but not here in the USA. Another area of concern is that area where there is no protection offered by GM, and that is the inter cooler area. Just a big open area vulnerable to sticks, along with that PLASTIC plate that will break on the first rock it touches...classic. 2001-2006.5
20170407_175126.jpeg

Jeremiah Johnson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Dallas, OR, USA
Member #

On the note of an SUV being the DD for the Wife, my 4Runner isn't lifted to the moon and my Wife rightfully pointed out what a pain it is loading the child into, and taking her out of the car seat. A friend of mine has a newer Tacoma about the same height as mine and like you it became his Wifes DD. She's less in love with it these days. The height sort of weighs on a person from day to day. I should mention we're all on the shorter side with the tallest of us being about 5'8".:tearsofjoy:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Personally I just got my 80 series landcruiser from Australia with the turbo diesel and full driven train rebuild 50k ago with papers. Vehicle + shipping + taxes and fees, best 18000.00 I spent on a fully restored 80 series.
Feedback plz...keep updates on it etc. Mileage, maintenance, and parts availability on the drivetrain.

Was this acquired like that land rover company, that does restoration to new vehicle specs for resale?...I realize it was not restored, but how was it evaluated as being drivable/serviceable.

How long was the process.. buying, export, shipping (by sea container) import paperwork, fees on import and/or taxes etc. $18,000 is reasonable for a older vehicle in good condition with desirable options.

Pics plz, including under the hood[emoji2]

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Feedback plz...keep updates on it etc. Mileage, maintenance, and parts availability on the drivetrain.

Was this acquired like that land rover company, that does restoration to new vehicle specs for resale?...I realize it was not restored, but how was it evaluated as being drivable/serviceable.

How long was the process.. buying, export, shipping (by sea container) import paperwork, fees on import and/or taxes etc. $18,000 is reasonable for a older vehicle in good condition with desirable options.

Pics plz, including under the hood[emoji2]
EDIT:
Was just the drivetrain rebuilt?

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

The modifications you do will largely depend on exactly what your plans for "overlanding" are.
If you're plans are dirt roads and an occasional rough road I recommend you keep it stock other then some nice all terrain tires. If you want to get into places that 99.5 percent of travelers and tourists can't or won't go, you'll need added ground clearance and armor, (sliders and skids).
Pop over to our YouTube channel for some ideas:
Not A Sema Build.JPG

Reactions: alx_alx_69

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

EDIT:
Was just the drivetrain rebuilt?
The drive train was done the year before I bought it, my mate over in Perth plays golf with a lawyer buddy of his and he had the lc 80. The lawyers dad was the original owner, garage kept and only on pavement from Perth to Sydney and Melbourne. It was the right price and deal of a lifetime I could not pass up on. The best part is maintenance records from dealer window sticker to the day I bought it. The interior looks a 9 out of 10. Now it time for a 3.5 lift front and rear bumpers and a 12000lbs winch, and a roof rack. Until I get pics loaded up it will look like Shaun whales from 4wd action Australia. The mileage is around 375000 km, there are all over the USA and abroad.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling