Trail Gear Rock Sliders (Frame Welded)

Wheels:
255/80/17 Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx
17” US Wheel Simulated Bead locker Desert Color Wheels
¾” hubcentric wheel spacers

Suspension:
OME 886 & Nitrocharger Front Shocks

Nitrocharger Rear Shocks
Rear Heavy Duty ARB Dakars (EL096) w/AAL (EL46XL)

Lighting:
LED rack lighting (2 spots, 2 floods (front), 2 floods (back))

Communication:
4’ Collapsible mounted Firestik
CB Radio with PA Speaker

Additionals:
Airflow Snorkel
Tail Bed platform
Fabricated Rear Topper Molle storage grate
Fabricated Roof Mount for Rack
Fabricated Rear Tire Carrier w/Removable Jerry Can Carrier

My build: I bought my 2006 Toyota Tacoma new with only a few miles on it and have put 160,000 on it now. Its a DCSB TRD 4x4 with tow package. It has locking differential from factory and has taken the family through 8 states in our various travels. I've made yearly trips to Colorado for decades and in getting the Tacoma, it increased our family's ability to get off the beaten path.

IMG_4684.JPG

Family of fun loving lunatics.
DSC00574[1] (1).jpg

My gone but never forgotten adventure navigator...
IMG_4699.JPG

Nothing too crazy but bumpy enough to be fun...
IMG_4815.JPG

Lots of cool places to explore in Colorado...
View attachment 51581

DSC00593[1].jpg DSC00595[1].jpg DSC00597[1].jpg

A base camp..

IMG_4833.JPG

That way! Woof!
IMG_5871.JPG

American Flag Mountain...one of my favorite places to get a view of the 14s in the distance...

IMG_4794.JPGIMG_6166.JPG
IMG_6646.jpg15894796_10210348647584036_8522557327517305403_n.jpg

After the passing of my best friend, I found Overland Bound and a way to grieve through a hobby that included sweat, bloody knuckles, and new ideas to increase the ability of the truck we traveled all over in, taught both my daughters to drive in, and had so many memories attached to my passed friend.

Stripping the Taco down to repaint Monstaliner Desert Sand with black trim
IMG_6030.JPGIMG_6033.JPG
IMG_6043.JPGIMG_6047.JPG
IMG_6050.JPGIMG_6072.JPG

Got the sliders and time to weld them on...
IMG_6140.JPGIMG_6148.JPG

Added the OME 886s and Nitrochargers
IMG_6179.JPGIMG_6218.JPG
IMG_6231.JPG

Great find on a rear ARE CX Topper for cheap. Been shopping forever! Just need to paint it black...
IMG_6310.JPG

Need a sturdy rack for my basket, so pulled out the welder and put one together.
IMG_6411.jpgIMG_6415.JPG
IMG_6417.jpgIMG_6418.jpg

Found a spot under a bridge that had some "obstacles"
IMG_6440.jpg

Got the Lights wired up
IMG_6644.JPGIMG_6527.JPG

Got the CB and Firestik up
CB firestik and CB installed.JPG

Padre Island National Seashore (PINS) and not to be confused with South Padre Island the tourist locale. 80 miles of undeveloped beach driving and primitive camping. One of the closest things to overlanding on a beach in the US you can do.
IMG_6879.JPG
19598797_10211908206212027_75964825770742838_n.jpg

Made friends with a local Overlander and was shown a local trail down to the river.
IMG_6866.JPG

Added the better rotors...the wrong direction. Yes I noticed and corrected. :grimacing:
IMG_7220.JPG

Day at the beach with the family. Not much overlanding in this...but still fun and worth it to get away
Truck on Ferry.jpgTruck At beach.JPG

Added the Snorkel
IMG_7233.JPG

Hill Country Texas Excursion. Had some fun running through water and drinking wine at wineries with the wife
IMG_8027.JPG

Old 87 Run between Bolivar and Sabine Pass Texas. No one for miles...
IMG_9281.JPGIMG_9366.JPG

Finally completing my tire carrier with the help of my friend (professional welder). Didn't trust my welds at holding 100s of pounds on my back bumper.
IMG_9411.JPGIMG_9415.JPGIMG_9438.JPG

Post steel bumper, fabricated tire carrier, and rear wood platform my rig was starting to sag in the rear and hitting bump stops whenever running fast over hills. Lost all of the small 2" of lift I got from the AAL and then some. It also seemed to pull down the front 3" OME lift I had also.

1588647560085.png

Post addition of OME EL096R with the additional add-a-leaf EL46XL - Way up there now. Got at least 3.5" back and it seems to have reduced the compression on the front springs as well. Some settling will occur, and once loaded out with gear, should be perfect. Very happy with outcome!

1588647462922.png

Last edited:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@ZetRocks

Awesome Build. I love the transformation your paint job gave the truck. Took it from everyday White Utility truck to "Damn Sweet."

How is the Roof Rack attached?

Boort

Reactions: ZetRocks

ZetRocks

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Kingwood
First Name
Shannon Keith
Last Name
Cortez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15AQN
@ZetRocks

Awesome Build. I love the transformation your paint job gave the truck. Took it from everyday White Utility truck to "Damn Sweet."

How is the Roof Rack attached?

Boort
I used Unistrut for the cross beams between the brackets I wielded. Unistrut has some great tube attachments that will fit around rack tube to easily install a basket. Holds very securely since it is used in industrial applications. And yeah the paint job did wonders to the look! Thanks for the kind comments!

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@ZetRocks
I used Unistrut for the cross beams between the brackets I wielded. Unistrut has some great tube attachments that will fit around rack tube to easily install a basket. Holds very securely since it is used in industrial applications. And yeah the paint job did wonders to the look! Thanks for the kind comments!
I gotta say that the job you did on the rack came out awesome and matches well with the rest of the gear.

Boort

Reactions: ZetRocks

ZetRocks

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Kingwood
First Name
Shannon Keith
Last Name
Cortez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15AQN
@ZetRocks

I gotta say that the job you did on the rack came out awesome and matches well with the rest of the gear.

Boort
Thank you very much sir! Btw what part of Colorado you in? Ive had land there for some years and been travelling up there for 30+ years. Mom lived there for last decade before recently moving elsewhere. Beautiful country there.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@ZetRocks
Thank you very much sir! Btw what part of Colorado you in?
Currently on the Front Range for a work thing. Heading back up to the mountains on Friday. I grew up here and have been to or through most of the areas of the state except the South East. I recently learned that a buddy from school is living out that way so I hope to get out there later this year if our schedules line up.

Boort

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

IMG_0340.JPG I keep coming back to this pic. I never liked that bumper till I saw it on your truck. It just fits so well, maybe it's the black grill, I don't know. Looks so good. Ok I'm done drooling on your truck for today.

ZetRocks

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Kingwood
First Name
Shannon Keith
Last Name
Cortez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15AQN
View attachment 26851 I keep coming back to this pic. I never liked that bumper till I saw it on your truck. It just fits so well, maybe it's the black grill, I don't know. Looks so good. Ok I'm done drooling on your truck for today.
@Justin Forrest Haha! Not a problem! I appreciate any drool or dirt I can get on my truck! I do plan to add a tube "brush guard/bull bar" on top so I can also mount my surf fishpoles on. Also like the extra protection it will add to the radiator. Hope to bring the plate bumper in line with the rock sliders and my plan for the rear bumper. Using a combo of plate and tube.

@Boort As far as Colorado, my mom lived in denver, golden, highland ranch, and castle rock over the years. My land is west of pikes peak, near 11 mile and we have always explored the area north of gunnison (crested butte, spring creek, taylor, etc.) when camping and fishing. Been all over though and really the place I love to go and get away from it all!

Thanks again!!

Last edited:

ZetRocks

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Kingwood
First Name
Shannon Keith
Last Name
Cortez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15AQN
Post steel bumper, fabricated tire carrier, and rear wood platform my rig was starting to sag in the rear and hitting bump stops whenever running fast over hills. Lost all of the small 2" of lift I got from the AAL and then some. It also seemed to pull down the front 3" OME lift I had also.
image1.jpg
Post addition of OME EL096R with the additional add-a-leaf EL46XL - Way up there now. Got at least 3.5" back and it seems to have reduced the compression on the front springs as well. Some settling will occur, and once loaded out with gear, should be perfect. Very happy with outcome!

Rig rear dakar leaf lift.jpg

Reactions: Justin Forrest

ZetRocks

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Kingwood
First Name
Shannon Keith
Last Name
Cortez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15AQN
Where is the fire look out at?
Looks like some ancient dwelling there....
Yes, it appeared an old structure from when the fire-watch tower might have been in full operation. That was at the end of the western most legally accessible part of the K-Trail (Kimichi(sp?) Trail). It runs from far west AR to East OK.

Reactions: Offroadnutz

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Interesting you mention that because that part of the OAT is second on my list to do.....
I know there has been issues with that section, do you know if the current downloadable route on the OAT main page is current on the land boundry changes?

ZetRocks

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Kingwood
First Name
Shannon Keith
Last Name
Cortez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15AQN
Interesting you mention that because that part of the OAT is second on my list to do.....
I know there has been issues with that section, do you know if the current downloadable route on the OAT main page is current on the land boundry changes?
I would suggest Gaia Maps. Here is a screen shot from Gaia that shows the rough location. Once you reach the Fire-tower heading from the east AR side, you've reached the end of the open part of the trail.

1585611859697.png

Attachments

Reactions: Offroadnutz