Launch Member

Advocate I

Snowmass, CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Young
Member #

I love my Toyotas, but I have to admit that I was dealing with some buyer's remorse when I got my 2018 Tacoma. Long story short - my Taco was sluggish, had horrible gas pedal feel, and shifted like it was it's main job to see how many shifts per mile it could get in. To make matters worse I had to drive a rental Chevy Colorado for a few days and thought, "Man, I wish my Toyota drove this smoothly." I get it, the Toyota engineers did everything they possibly could to wring every last bit of MPG out of their engines, but in doing so made a great little truck a mediocre driver.
To fix my issues I bought a ShiftSense Pro which is basically a mini computer that plugs into your Taco and uses the manual shift feature to shift for you. Worked fantastic. But it didn't address the pedal feel.
Again, long story short, I upgraded to Orange Virus Tuning's Tacoma 3.5L Custom ECU/TCU Tuning Package, re-flashed my Taco's brainy bits, and I'm in love all over again. Honestly this program should be standard equipment on all new Tacomas.
I'm not in any way sponsored by or affiliated with OVTuning. I'm just a guy who wants his truck to drive, shift, and get out of the way better. So far I am 100% happy with my choice. And before you ask, my truck has been to the dealership 3 times since installing the tune for service and no, they didn't void my warranty. According to everyone I've talked with about the program it is safe, solid, and completely unobtrusive to Toyota Techs working on your truck.

JohnTYoung

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Snowmass, CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Young
Member #

I think you may have gotten either lucky, or the problem has been quietly resolved. I remember test driving a 2016 Tacoma when they first came out and my wife and I noticed the odd shifting pattern.

215Grappler

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Philadelphia, PA
First Name
Art
Last Name
McKee
Member #

2020 Off Road owner here. I have not experienced any shifting problems. Sluggish and delayed pedal response - yes. But not shifting problems.