3D printing for a cause

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

76_overlander

Rank VI

Enthusiast III

Esplanade de la Vierge, Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
NopeNotMyName
Member #

Hey guys, as 3D printing gets more popular and good printers can be found at a decent price, i wanted to let you know that i am a maker for the e-NABLE project.

e-NABLE is a global network of volunteers who are using their 3D printers, design skills, and personal time to create free 3D printed prosthetic hands for those in need – with the goal of providing them to underserved populations around the world.

The project is genius as it changes people’s lifes, most children who were born without a "complete" hand. So, yeah, prosthetic hands are a huge help and before e-nable they were high tech products. Meaning everybody can not afford one, and also meaning it’s heavy, has to be plugged to recharge, has to be replaced every 6 months to one year because of children growing and due to its price, is given with a « be very careful with this » and a long list of "don't do that"... And we all know the priceless thing of childhood is not being careful. So this idea relies on low tech. We print it for free, after measurements, taylor made, and the whole cost from A to Z for one hand is barely 50$. So we say hey, have fun, play, jump, be iron man, if you break it, if you grow up, you have another one, for free.

It changes their lives. The hand is fully articulated and has « grabbing » function thanks to a cheap but very effective network of rubber bands strapped to a gauntlet. Just letting you know this thing exists and the community is strong and if you have a 3D printer you can be part of it :)

This is what a printed hand looks like on my printer, before full assembly

i hope you watch this video to understand more :)

Reactions: Baipin

grubworm

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Louisiana, USA
First Name
Thibodaux
Last Name
Louisiana
Member #

Now that is really cool! Its also nice to see people who are helping others without money as a motive. Didn't think that existed anymore...

What kind of printer do you have? I was looking at printing special fittings for a hydroponics project I was doing years ago when 3D printing just came out and it wasn't very good then and I moved on to other things. Sounds like 3D printing has come up to speed pretty quick if people are making these for under $100 at home...

Reactions: 76_overlander

76_overlander

Rank VI

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angus
Last Name
NopeNotMyName
Member #

Hey @grubworm

Thanks for your input man, and yes, this project is quite incredible ;)

I am not really keeping an eye on the 3D printers anymore because i went into a "buy once cry once process" and wanted the best i could find (when i bought it) and purchased a Ultimaker 2 Extended that i knew was reliable, long term buy, able to print good quality and quite big pieces, and coming with a good software. So the printer was, i can't remember but something like 3000 dollars when i bought it 4 or 5 years ago. This thing is not cheap, and now i have friends with good quality printers for 200-400 dollars... the scene evolves very quickly with new materials to print with (metal, wood, so many kind of things with their own qualities...) it's impressive, and prices are not a no go anymore. You should go back to your project :)

76_overlander

Rank VI

Enthusiast III

First Name
Angus
Last Name
NopeNotMyName
Member #

One month life. Time for statistics :grin:

1. Philanthropic project using rising 3D printing technology to change lives of children : 62 views, 1 reply
  2. "Beer" : 5000 views, 192 replies
This "fun fact" is not to make anybody feel guilty by the way, just a... Fact. Let's have a beer ;)