Calgary, AB
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6EVL
As I'm sitting here impatiently watching some little plastic bug-clips being printed on my 3D printer, I got to wondering about some practical applications in the camping / overlanding world.

Has anybody created or printed something that you've found useful in your outdoor travels?

There are some good ideas on Thingverse, like guy rope tensioners, small fuel tank legs, glow in the dark guy rope clips, etc.
https://www.thingiverse.com/glitchpudding/collections/camping/page:1

I'm thinking a small collection of plastic hooks could be useful, but I'm interested in what other ideas people might have.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@WhatDidIBreakNow

I've been thinking of 3d printing a new fuse panel cover with a built in mount for my tow controller. Currently I bump my shin on the tow controller mount every so often and this would allow me to recess it, without cutting up the lower dash panel. I'll post back here if I ever get around to doing it.

I've 3d printed retainers for a set of tin snips where the metal one broke long ago. Held up well until they were left on the table in full sun for a day and the clip softened. Will be printing another one, then anneal it in 160 Deg hot water or bake in toaster oven to harden it. I'd recommend similar treatment for the rope tensioners. (be aware that shrinkage will occur during annealing do design tolerances accordingly. This is also used to shrink gears on to shafts etc...)

Boort

Reactions: JeepersForVets

JeepersForVets

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Calgary, AB
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6EVL
@WhatDidIBreakNow

I've been thinking of 3d printing a new fuse panel cover with a built in mount for my tow controller. Currently I bump my shin on the tow controller mount every so often and this would allow me to recess it, without cutting up the lower dash panel. I'll post back here if I ever get around to doing it.

I've 3d printed retainers for a set of tin snips where the metal one broke long ago. Held up well until they were left on the table in full sun for a day and the clip softened. Will be printing another one, then anneal it in 160 Deg hot water or bake in toaster oven to harden it. I'd recommend similar treatment for the rope tensioners. (be aware that shrinkage will occur during annealing do design tolerances accordingly. This is also used to shrink gears on to shafts etc...)

Boort
I never thought about using hot water for annealing the prints -- that would probably go over better than using the oven. :)

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@WhatDidIBreakNow

I've sort of combined the methods, I heat up the toaster over, and the water in the kettle then put the part in a safe pan pour the water over it and put it in the oven to keep it at temp for the required time. Keeping the hot water at annealing temp seems to be harder up here at altitude. Maybe a Sous-vide or temp controlled Crock-Pot.... hmmm.

Boort

Reactions: JeepersForVets

JeepersForVets

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Calgary, AB
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6EVL
@WhatDidIBreakNow

I've sort of combined the methods, I heat up the toaster over, and the water in the kettle then put the part in a safe pan pour the water over it and put it in the oven to keep it at temp for the required time. Keeping the hot water at annealing temp seems to be harder up here at altitude. Maybe a Sous-vide or temp controlled Crock-Pot.... hmmm.

Boort
I'm not sure the crock-pot would go over that well, either! :)

I do like the idea of a toaster oven, though. Small and cheap, I could easily keep one in the garage just for baking prints and the occasional grilled cheese (cheese slices are plasticy...)

Here's an interesting video on annealing various plastic prints. There's quite a difference between the different kinds of plastic, but interestingly, the regular PLC faired quite well. I might do some cold weather strength/snap tests once winter rolls around.

Reactions: Boort