Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Friday and Saturday nights near Fourth of July Canyon and Drum Peak with telescopes and cameras to enjoy the dark skies of the Mojave Preserve. We'll also have a day time excursion on Saturday to drive some trails and see more of the preserve. Details TBD. Sunday folks can head out along whatever route works best for them to enjoy the Preserve and head towards home.

I'll have two or three telescope to look through. Bring binoculars if you have them and red flashlights or headlamps. Normally, Overlanders love their lights! Trying to maintain night vision will add tremendously to how much you will be able to see at a dark sky site like this.

View Rally Point

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Friday and Saturday nights at the Kelso Dunes with telescopes and cameras to enjoy the dark skies of the Mojave Preserve. We'll also have a day time excursion on Saturday to drive some trails and see more of the preserve. Details TBD. Sunday folks can head out along whatever route works best for them to enjoy the Preserve and head towards home.

I'll have two or three telescope to look through. Bring binoculars if you have them and red flashlights or headlamps. Normally, Overlanders love their lights! Trying to maintain night vision will add tremendously to how much you will be able to see at a dark sky site like this.
When you are at Kelso Dunes a great side trip is to the Vulcan Mine Where all the iron ore for the steel to build the WW2 Liberty ships came from. Ore was trucked to Fontana to be processed into steel then taken to the yards building the Liberty ships. There are some nice sites to camp up there also with a great view of the dunes.
34.92175 -115.56815

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
When you are at Kelso Dunes a great side trip is to the Vulcan Mine Where all the iron ore for the steel to build the WW2 Liberty ships came from. Ore was trucked to Fontana to be processed into steel then taken to the yards building the Liberty ships. There are some nice sites to camp up there also with a great view of the dunes.
Cool! We'll have to check it out.

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey Kent, great tip! Just to help others though, I believe the co-ords are actually 34.92175,-115.56815 (not 39....).
Cheers
Good catch I have no idea how I did that one, can't even blame it on my Dyslexia

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey Kent, great tip! Just to help others though, I believe the co-ords are actually 34.92175,-115.56815 (not 39....).
Cheers
Good catch I have no idea how I did that one, can't even blame it on my Dyslexia
Looks like you’re the first ones to sign up so we’ll see you there. I’m going to update the plan with Ken’s suggestions.
I fixed my coordinates typo. :sunglasses:

Reactions: Joe A W

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
I'm going to have to delay doing this trip! So, sorry. A close family friend has passed away from COVID-19 and I cannot be away this weekend. I'll reschedule for next month's new moon.

lnye26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yucca Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Nye
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6OQF
Sorry to hear about your loss.
Getting a little crowded here at Dunes
Will go look for a different spot
Maybe next time,

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
There are already 5 rigs signed up to go. (I'm actually the 6th rig.) I don't know if anyone will drop out at the last minute. We might be able to fit another rig or... there are multiple camp spots in the area so you might be able to find something very close by. I'm not too worried about having an extra vehicle so its your call, Asada_Taco49.

Last edited:

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Should we bring anything, Fire wood etc???
Good point. I'm guessing folks would enjoy having a fire, looks like it's going to be cold, so if everyone brings a bundle it seems like that should last us for two nights. I'll try to setup telescopes away from any light, including a fire, as that does make a noticeable difference it how well you can see deep sky objects. If you have red flashlights that helps too. I'll bring several red headlamps and lanterns to help maintain everyone's dark adapted vision. I don't want to over do it but if you can avoid any non-red light (flashlights, phones and even a camp fire) for over a half hour before viewing that will help you see much more and since its a new moon this weekend it will be very dark. Your eyes actually change chemically over 30-45 minutes to allow you see much fainter objects. Here are a couple of articles that explain how your eyes adapt to darkness.

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Friday night forecast is looking less than ideal but Saturday looks promising. I hope to still set up on Friday assuming rain has moved out by then. Either way I’ll be there on Friday.

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

I'll bring some firewood, I have Three Redlight Flashlights and One Head Band. Should be There Friday around 6pm coming up Lanfair road might stop at Goffs Museum for a Moment on way up

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
Love that area, any recommendations on a good entry level telescope?