Off-Road Ranger I

Deltona, FL
First Name
Will
Last Name
Maxwell
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4YQZ
If going south from US1 to Haulover, on the right before Haulover by the Radar, is a road that goes out to the water. It is a short loop that goes around a little lagoon. People always go out there to go fishing in little pockets. I am sure there is plenty to clean up there. Also the dirt road on the north side of the canal would have plenty of trash and room for our rigs without getting in the way. Why are we waiting so long?

Reactions: Flipper

Noble Savage

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Deland, FL
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Gore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4URN
If going south from US1 to Haulover, on the right before Haulover by the Radar, is a road that goes out to the water. It is a short loop that goes around a little lagoon. People always go out there to go fishing in little pockets. I am sure there is plenty to clean up there. Also the dirt road on the north side of the canal would have plenty of trash and room for our rigs without getting in the way. Why are we waiting so long?
To give people time to sing up for the event. I’m usually out there every weekend or so fishing out there and when I am I’m always on the lookout for garbage to clean up.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

We usually pull 2-3 bags of trash out every time we go to the Lagoon. Haulover on each side of the canal seems to always be the worst areas thanks to people fishing that don’t want to pack out their trash and empty beer bottles. I would recommend starting there. Also be aware of the hog issues the place is full of them, we have had 2 encounters in the last several months.F197340C-0300-477C-A771-C3F2018667BC.jpeg

Noble Savage

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Deland, FL
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Gore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4URN
We usually pull 2-3 bags of trash out every time we go to the Lagoon. Haulover on each side of the canal seems to always be the worst areas thanks to people fishing that don’t want to pack out their trash and empty beer bottles. I would recommend starting there. Also be aware of the hog issues the place is full of them, we have had 2 encounters in the last several months.View attachment 183938
That's how the idea for this rally point started. I love fishing out in the lagoon and on the banks but hate seeing all the trash from the weekend warriors who have no consideration for the area. Whenever I'm out I try and clean up what I can especially when I'm on the clinkers since they have a good amount of trash. I thought this would be a good way to cleanup the area and meet some of the other OB members in the area. As for the hogs I haven't personally encountered them but I have heard some stories from others. I usually carry something with me in case.

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

We usually pull 2-3 bags of trash out every time we go to the Lagoon. Haulover on each side of the canal seems to always be the worst areas thanks to people fishing that don’t want to pack out their trash and empty beer bottles. I would recommend starting there. Also be aware of the hog issues the place is full of them, we have had 2 encounters in the last several months.View attachment 183938
The inconsiderate people leaving trash around are likely also complaining about the hogs. Go figure, right?

Noble Savage

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Deland, FL
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Gore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4URN
The inconsiderate people leaving trash around are likely also complaining about the hogs. Go figure, right?
Maybe or maybe not. Florida has a bad feral hog problem and it wouldn't surprise me that there are a good number in the preserve. I just haven't seen any that close to Haulover.

Reactions: Solo Saga

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

Maybe or maybe not. Florida has a bad feral hog problem and it wouldn't surprise me that there are a good number in the preserve. I just haven't seen any that close to Haulover.
Yeah. I just meant "feeding" them doesn't help the situation.

I met a FL State Hwy Patrol Officer when I was deployed near Homestead, for Hurricane Andrew relief. He hunted them (well, captured, fed, and ate them later), He was telling me how bad the problem was then, and that's been almost 30yrs ago.

Hope y'all get a good turn out for the cleanup.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Thanks for organizing a clean up. The encounters we had with hogs was about 200 yards south of the canal on the River side, eye to eye, real scary moment. Just looked at each other then turned and walked away. That fricken thing weighed more than I do. The latest was about a 1/2 south of Oak Hill on the west side. This time we were “prepared” thats where the pix of the trash was taken. Really shook up the Wife.This pix is a couple hundred yards south of the Biolab Ramp. Thing was huge! FCF4F687-79CB-4578-9501-9CC5F3F16F48.jpeg

Noble Savage

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Deland, FL
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Gore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4URN
To everyone attending,

I am sorry but I will not be able to attend. A work related issue has arisen and I will be there handling the matter during the weekend. To those who are able to make it I hope you have fun exploring CNS and help clean up as much as you can. Make sure to visit some of the boat and kayak launches to see some pretty sights from land.