Oroville, CA, USA
First Name
Auggie
Last Name
Mireles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6ICE
Camping and four wheeling at Gold Lake, we will go up the mountains through Grass Valley, Downieville, and end up at Gold Lake. The intention is to find a camping spot away from the crowd but by the Lake and also have the ability to break away during the day and do some off road, sightseeing, fishing, etc. The official campsite will allow us to have a campfire if we stay within the campground area or we can decide to go into the forest and camp away from the lake but without a campfire which is fine with me; more of an opportunity to watch the comet and the stars. The lake is close to the highway so the trip is flexible and you can show up Friday Saturday or Sunday, your choice.

View Rally Point

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

OLgadgets

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Huey
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Google maps has good pictures Gold Lake, Gray Eagle CA. It is also the start of the High Lakes trail.
Thanks Kent, I had mistaken this for a regular (non-rally point) post where I thought Auggie had just been to. Thanks for the clarification.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Camping and four wheeling at Gold Lake, we will go up the road through Grass Valley, Downieville towards Gold Lake. The intention is to find a camping spot away from the crowd but by the Lake and also have the ability to break away during the day and do some off road sightseeing. This will allow us to have a campfire if we stay within the campground area or we can decide to go into the forest and camp away from the lake but without a campfire.
@Auggie, do you plan on base camping around that area or going on a trail run? I am going to be in Gray Eagle that weekend for a wedding and might take a couple of hours Saturday morning to come up to the lake.

Jmisslyn

Rank VI

Influencer I

Napa
First Name
Lyn
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCU
I might be interested in this trip...first time for me. Are there trails to hike once at camp ?

Auggie

Rank V

Advocate III

Oroville, CA, USA
First Name
Auggie
Last Name
Mireles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6ICE
Camping and four wheeling at Gold Lake, we will go up the road through Grass Valley, Downieville towards Gold Lake. The intention is to find a camping spot away from the crowd but by the Lake and also have the ability to break away during the day and do some off road sightseeing. This will allow us to have a campfire if we stay within the campground area or we can decide to go into the forest and camp away from the lake but without a campfire.
@Auggie, do you plan on base camping around that area or going on a trail run? I am going to be in Gray Eagle that weekend for a wedding and might take a couple of hours Saturday morning to come up to the lake.
Hi Kent, sorry for the late reply, we are planning on camping by the lake close to the water. If not allowed or available for whatever reason, we can find many spots to set up camp nearby and still do our thing.

Reactions: Kent R

Auggie

Rank V

Advocate III

Oroville, CA, USA
First Name
Auggie
Last Name
Mireles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6ICE
I might be interested in this trip...first time for me. Are there trails to hike once at camp ?
Oh yes! most definitely there are many trails in the area, I am sure you will love it. I apologize for the late reply, I have been so busy with other stuff.

Reactions: Jmisslyn

Auggie

Rank V

Advocate III

Oroville, CA, USA
First Name
Auggie
Last Name
Mireles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6ICE
We are planning on doing both, camp near the lake and then go from there, hiking, 4x4 trail and come back, etc. There is lots of flexibility since not everyone would want to do the same thing at the same time. Some are going fishing too so it is open to a few options. The 4x4 trail is not far from the lake and highway so it is not like you need to all stay together as a caravan for safety reasons. In any case, no-one will go four wheeling alone, we must stay at least two or three vehicles while four wheeling for safety reasons. I apologize for the late reply.

Auggie

Rank V

Advocate III

Oroville, CA, USA
First Name
Auggie
Last Name
Mireles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6ICE
I am almost ready, still packing some stuff. i will see you all at the Downieville checkpoint at 6 PM. I am coming from Oroville so some of you coming from the Sacramento or Bay Area will be at Grass Valley earlier. For me it will be Downieville at 6 PM checkpoint, See you there!

Jmisslyn

Rank VI

Influencer I

Napa
First Name
Lyn
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCU
Did not get enough details, maybe next time. I'm new to the forum and how to get details on the trips.