Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
WOW what a beautiful place, Looks to be a great trip. Wish I was a bit closer or I would join you all.....

Jim

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I would like to go but I don't have a Radio yet, would that be okay?
You’ll need a HAM radio, portable Radios (handheld) are on amazon ranging from Baofeng $23 to Yaesu FT60’s or 70‘s for $199. If you opt for Baofeng buy an 15” antenna and don’t drop the radio. Even without a license you can legally listen in and they are the gold standard for our communications.

arsh510

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Manteca, CA, USA
First Name
Arsh
Last Name
Khosa
Member #

You’ll need a HAM radio, portable Radios (handheld) are on amazon ranging from Baofeng $23 to Yaesu FT60’s or 70‘s for $199. If you opt for Baofeng buy an 15” antenna and don’t drop the radio. Even without a license you can legally listen in and they are the gold standard for our communications.
I will look into them, thanks.

Reactions: PapaDave

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

Always wanted to head up to Laurel Lakes. Form watching videos, it looks like my stock Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk would be OK (8.7 inches of clearance) - any recommendations on ground clearance?

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Maybe someone going will have an extra if you dont buy on now......

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I am interested but tentative pending my daughter's schedule for going back to school not occurring that same weekend. I would like to join from the LA area and meet up there on the 395. Would GMRS radio work or will you be communicating solely on HAM bands?

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I am interested but tentative pending my daughter's schedule for going back to school not occurring that same weekend. I would like to join from the LA area and meet up there on the 395. Would GMRS radio work or will you be communicating solely on HAM bands?
Should be ok: OLB Comms US: Ham:146.460, GMRS:15, CB:16

Mike-S

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Alameda, Ca
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Shaffer
Member #

GMRS is fine. We can meet at shell at about 5:30 Friday night
Shell
3011 Main St, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
(760) 934-2998

Mike-S

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Alameda, Ca
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Shaffer
Member #

Yes GMRS is fine.
Always wanted to head up to Laurel Lakes. Form watching videos, it looks like my stock Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk would be OK (8.7 inches of clearance) - any recommendations on ground clearance?
You may be able to make it into Laurel Lakes but I’m not so sure about funnel lake.

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

Yes GMRS is fine.
You may be able to make it into Laurel Lakes but I’m not so sure about funnel lake.
Thanks. I could probably pick my way up the hill, but I don't want to slow you guys down so I'll pass this time.