Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
Getting Icon Stage 6 suspension and Icon rims. Originally I was going to go with 33" BFG KO2's but after so much reading seems the consensus is 35" are the way to go. Any thoughts? This is for a Toyota SR5 4x4 TRD crew cab (6.5' bed). Thanks.

Red Stick

Rank 0

Contributor I

I’m not sure what your wheels size will be but you could also consider a tire size in between those two.

33x12.5 typically run 32.5” diameter and 35x12.5 are usually a 34.5”.

I’m running 305/65r18 which measures out to 33.6 x 12

I’m sure you could find something comparable in a metric 17” tire as well.

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
Going with 35” on Icon 17” rebound alloys. BFG KO2s. Was hoping to get a little more insight from community.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Are you re-gearing your truck? The bigger the tires the more power you will lose. I have considered going back to 31” on my FJ. 33” looks better with the 2.5” lift but not a real functional difference. Just one guys opinion but I see no need for a 35” tire.

Reactions: Arailt

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I have Toyo 275/65/R20 tires which are right at 34" and ride great with no rubbing with a 3" leveling kit. I think the stock Tundra is a tad bit low, but the leveling kit was enough to put these tires on it and gain a few inches of clearance without spending a lot or doing a lot of mods.

Attachments

Reactions: madcratebuilder

DocHanson

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

I have bilstein 5100’s on middle setting which gives about 1.5” of lift. Rear is stock. I went with the same Icon rebounds wrapped in Nitto RG in 285/75/17 (about 34”)

There is a noticeable change in braking and acceleration. It’s more sluggish. It’s worth it in my opinion but I’m glad I didn’t go larger.

35” you might be looking at a body mount chop as well.6B6AE784-FCAF-4AC0-B770-4FC87F8E813A.jpeg

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
Went with 35's from vendors suggestion. Lost 2-3 miles per gallon. Run 70+ mile per hour and RPM's are low. For me it keeps me more modest in regards to being an aggressive driver. No issues that I can account for. Running Icon stage 6 and the ride is great. I felt if I don't like the 35" tires I can go back, whereas if I went with 33" and no mods I would still have to mod if I wan to go bigger. Still in the learning stage and the consensus seems to be 35" over 33". This is a Tundra, not a tacoma. If you are going to start mods, then you better be ready to spend money. It's a hobby...have fun and if you fail make adjustments. Seems everyone has an opinion on what is right or wrong...pick what fits in your world. I just went through a discussion on compressor vs power tank. Well power tank work for me cause I work in IT and can use it to blow out computers.

IMG_4944 2.jpegIMG_4944 2.jpeg