Launch Member

Influencer I

Boca Raton, FL, USA
First Name
RUBEN
Last Name
FERRAN
Member #

THANKSGIVING THEME OVERLANDING TRIP!!! Enjoy fishing and ample opportunities for hunting, hiking, wildlife viewing, bicycling, boating, and camping. if you want or able to bring a watercraft and if everyone is willing we can explore the lakes as well as the trials. since we'll be camping during the general gun season we'll need to obtain a hunting license, management area permit and fishing permit (if you're going to fish.)

The lakes, expansive prairie and pine Flatwoods, and other diverse habitats create ample opportunities for wildlife viewing. White-tailed deer, gray squirrel, Sherman’s fox squirrel, gopher tortoise, armadillo, raccoon, and feral hog are common. Butterflies are abundant, especially in the fall.

The area is a site on the Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail and is particularly good for birders - many common and rare species are found here. Bald eagles, crested caracaras, sandhill cranes, red-shouldered hawks, wild turkeys, northern bobwhites and eastern meadowlarks are often heard or spotted. The oaks and pines are excellent for songbirds, particularly during migration. Three Lakes is part of the highest concentration of bald eagle nests in the contiguous United States. More than 150 active nesting territories are found around the inland lakes of Osceola and Polk counties.

The federally endangered red-cockaded woodpecker nests in cavities in pines. An area with active nest cavities is located near Canoe Creek Road; look for pine trees marked with a band of white paint. Watch for the birds at dawn and dusk when they are most active. Keep at least 70-80 feet (the length of a semi-trailer truck) from these trees to avoid disturbing the birds, particularly during the April to July nesting period. Similarly, use binoculars or a spotting scope to observe the Florida grasshopper sparrow. The population of this federally endangered inhabitant of the dry prairie is critically low and any kind of disturbance may affect their nesting and feeding behaviors.

View Rally Point

Gen5Runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Jacksonville, FL, USA (North Mandarin)
First Name
J
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WG5RNR
Is the plan to set a base camp area that we’ll return to each night? Is a permit required for every person?(my husband and I are considering this as we are headed to Key West for Thanksgiving)

Reactions: Stickman

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
Is the plan to set a base camp area that we’ll return to each night? Is a permit required for every person?(my husband and I are considering this as we are headed to Key West for Thanksgiving)
We too are headed to Key West. We are leaving the Knoxville, TN area on Nov 10th. Have you guys planed out a route, or playing by ear?

Reactions: Gen5Runner

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
THANKSGIVING THEME OVERLANDING TRIP!!! Enjoy fishing and ample opportunities for hunting, hiking, wildlife viewing, bicycling, boating, and camping. if you want or able to bring a watercraft and if everyone is willing we can explore the lakes as well as the trials. since we'll be camping during the general gun season we'll need to obtain a hunting license, management area permit and fishing permit (if you're going to fish.)

The lakes, expansive prairie and pine Flatwoods, and other diverse habitats create ample opportunities for wildlife viewing. White-tailed deer, gray squirrel, Sherman’s fox squirrel, gopher tortoise, armadillo, raccoon, and feral hog are common. Butterflies are abundant, especially in the fall.

The area is a site on the Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail and is particularly good for birders - many common and rare species are found here. Bald eagles, crested caracaras, sandhill cranes, red-shouldered hawks, wild turkeys, northern bobwhites and eastern meadowlarks are often heard or spotted. The oaks and pines are excellent for songbirds, particularly during migration. Three Lakes is part of the highest concentration of bald eagle nests in the contiguous United States. More than 150 active nesting territories are found around the inland lakes of Osceola and Polk counties.

The federally endangered red-cockaded woodpecker nests in cavities in pines. An area with active nest cavities is located near Canoe Creek Road; look for pine trees marked with a band of white paint. Watch for the birds at dawn and dusk when they are most active. Keep at least 70-80 feet (the length of a semi-trailer truck) from these trees to avoid disturbing the birds, particularly during the April to July nesting period. Similarly, use binoculars or a spotting scope to observe the Florida grasshopper sparrow. The population of this federally endangered inhabitant of the dry prairie is critically low and any kind of disturbance may affect their nesting and feeding behaviors.
What dates?

Gen5Runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
J
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WG5RNR
We too are headed to Key West. We are leaving the Knoxville, TN area on Nov 10th. Have you guys planed out a route, or playing by ear?
Sketchy plan at the moment is to do the rally point then over to biscayne/Everglades for a couple of days. Then on to Key west for a couple of days. Maybe do citrus/croom on the way home. Let us know if you’re interested to go with!

Reactions: Stickman

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
We will be there by then. Look for our OB flag. Not sure when we will depart. No current plans.

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
Sketchy plan at the moment is to do the rally point then over to biscayne/Everglades for a couple of days. Then on to Key west for a couple of days. Maybe do citrus/croom on the way home. Let us know if you’re interested to go with!
That might be fun.

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
What are the dates for the rally?

Ruben Ferran

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Boca Raton, FL, USA
First Name
RUBEN
Last Name
FERRAN
Member #

Yea the plan is to set up base camp the. Go explore. Only one person needs a permit. Everyone else in the vehicle counts under the one permit.

Gen5Runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
J
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WG5RNR
We will

We will not be able to make this rally after all.

Reactions: Ruben Ferran

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger

Hi Ruben, I am planning to dry camp this area naybe over the new year. Please email me you contact information. Bubba@bubbatim.com. Thx

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

Does anyone planning to go have a solar charger or a small generator. If I bring the bass boat, it would be pretty cool to charge my trolling motor batteries.