Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Anyone have experience using a 270* awning with a liftgate? Looking at replacing my DIY awning with a sturdier option that also mounts to the rack. Considered the 270* after my last trip when it was one of those random hot days we've experienced. We were looking for more shade, especially with the kitchen setup and with some of the forecasted rain. I've considered a traditional awning as I know that'll suffice for our needs, however the extra space might be justified IF it'll even work. Thanks in advance!

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

On and xj that I had, I had a drifta 270 awning and the problem of the lift gate was addressed by raising the awning with extended mounting plates. The mounting plates moved the awning up and extra 4 inches to clear the rear door. The roof rack was made by arb. The reason for had is my son rolled it. The roll cage and 5 point seatbelts saved him but his youthful exuberance killed the xj.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
On and xj that I had, I had a drifta 270 awning and the problem of the lift gate was addressed by raising the awning with extended mounting plates. The mounting plates moved the awning up and extra 4 inches to clear the rear door. The roof rack was made by arb. The reason for had is my son rolled it. The roll cage and 5 point seatbelts saved him but his youthful exuberance killed the xj.
I might look into extending the mounts if I go this route.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have the same concern.i have a 4Runner and want a bat wing. Did you come up with a solution? Raised mounting plates?
I have yet to jump on anything yet, however I did come up with a solution for me. The top bar on my roof basket is just taller than where my lift gate is all the way up. I assume normal mounts might allow some contact, but I may end up fabricating what I need in the event that there is a clearance issue. I may just snag a traditional awning in a larger size to accommodate my needs. Price point helps on that decision.

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Following for the solution. I am switching up my set up and getting an XJ and this was one of my concerns.

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
Here's a link to a video review of an Alu Cab Shadow awning on a Land Cruiser.

The lift gate is shown extended at about the 45 second mark during the video and the question is addressed in the comments (see below).

Gear_Review__Alu-Cab_Shadow_Awning_-_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: hvmonteiro

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
This pic is off the equipt1.com site and shows a Bat 270 Awning by Eezi-Awn.

I can’t tell from the pic, but suspect the liftgate is coming into contact with the awning support.

upload_2019-2-23_7-23-20.jpeg

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Bumping this a bit. Doing some research, you can find some dual swing arm 270 awnings that have an arm that are straight out to the rear which won't impact the rear tailgate... like the 23 zero PEREGRINE 270

Reactions: Welding Goats

Rav4_Overland

Rank VIII

Steward I

Kyle, Texas, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Lindquist
Member #

I have a Body Armor 4X4 270 awning on my rav4 and have this issue. I have my fridge on sliders in the back and can barely get to it with the awning deployed. I was just in my garage messing with it and found that I could just detach the awning from the brace and swing the brace out of the way and let the hatch hold up the fabric. Of course I didn’t take a picture . I need to do some more messing with it to see how well this will work in the real world but in the meantime I thought I’d throw in my $0.02

Attachments

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Loanrangie

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Melboure,Victoria, Australia
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Robertshaw
I'm also looking at 270 awnings with a lift up tailgate and so far the only one that doesn't have a beam over the tailgate is the 23zero Falcon, the rear most flap doesn't quite cover the full rear as its a triangular shape but i think i could live with it. Falcon is the passenger side (RHD vehicle) and Osprey is the LHD drive passenger side model.

OverlandFaction

Rank VIII
Investor

Pioneer II

United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Quince
Member #

In the UK Direct 4x4, ARB or Bush Company all do a awning that self supports.. the challenge is the rig and how high you need to mount it.. On the Grand Cherokee its impossible.

1695148326244.png

Loanrangie

Rank II

Enthusiast III

First Name
Nick
Last Name
Robertshaw
In the UK Direct 4x4, ARB or Bush Company all do a awning that self supports.. the challenge is the rig and how high you need to mount it.. On the Grand Cherokee its impossible.

View attachment 266482

Not impossible but not practical although as long as there isnt a beam that passes over the tailgate you could drape the end over it with a pole off to one side, the Disco tailgate is quite flat and doesn't lift so high .

OverlandFaction

Rank VIII
Investor

Pioneer II

United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Quince
Member #

The problem on the GC is you would have to move the whole awning about 18" further towards the front to be able to accommodate the cross over bar on the 270. The best actual option is to have 2x 180.. That is then a whole different game.

Loanrangie

Rank II

Enthusiast III

First Name
Nick
Last Name
Robertshaw
Bought a 23Zero Falcon 270 awning last week and had a quite day at work so opened it right up in the carpark, my tailgate lifts to a pretty much horizontal position and back of the awning fits over it nicely.
Also sits low on my Rhino platform rack which helps for clearance in carparks and drive thrus.
IMG_20231027_131623.jpgIMG_20231027_131640~3.jpgIMG_20231027_131651~2.jpgIMG_20231027_131827.jpgIMG_20231027_131757.jpgIMG_20231027_131801.jpg

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
The Oztent/Rhino Rack awning I use is designed to be lower on the vehicle and higher at the outside edge. The water runs inwards and down the water chute.
To fit it over a higher tailgate, you just extend the poles a little higher until it clears.