270° awning DIY?

• HTML tutorial

bambamthexj

Rank 0

Traveler I

Has anyone done or seen a DIY 270° style awning. I searched around but coudnt find any threads. I know its a slightly difficult build but to buy one is expensive, at least on my gear budget.

Matt_Lang

Rank 0

Traveler I

I haven't seen one yet but have been thinking about building one myself using t-slot aluminum extrusion, a couple of hinges, and somehow finding/cutting an L-shaped tarp or piece of fabric

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Hey Matt. Another option I have been looking at is 1x2 rectangle aluminum with a staple channel. Google aluminum awning extrusion. It looks like a good starting point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

Matt_Lang

Rank 0

Traveler I

Yeah great idea with the one staple channel. That sounds like it'll be a lot less bulky since the t-slots are only needed on one side. Anyone know how they manage the awning material when it's folded up? Do they just put a cover over it and call it a day?

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
The one i have seen in person they just closed the arms then rolled the top up held it with velcro straps them put on the cover. The best part about the channel is you dont have to put fasteners through your fabric. If you use the same strip they use to hold the awning fabric your good to go and easy to change panels if one is damaged.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

I haven't seen one yet but have been thinking about building one myself using t-slot aluminum extrusion, a couple of hinges, and somehow finding/cutting an L-shaped tarp or piece of fabric
Use two triangle tarps, they are usually called sails and used for patio coverings.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Rubicajon

bambamthexj

Rank 0

Traveler I

So I'm not sure if this was built or produced but the design seems simple. The only change I would like is to have two square sections and one triangular in the middle. This would only require 3 sections instead of 4-5 like a ARB or others; while still giving lots of area coverage. My hang up is how to create a strong enough arm system to not need ground pole supports

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

So I'm not sure if this was built or produced but the design seems simple. The only change I would like is to have two square sections and one triangular in the middle. This would only require 3 sections instead of 4-5 like a ARB or others; while still giving lots of area coverage. My hang up is how to create a strong enough arm system to not need ground pole supports

I like that design, possibly for support you could use aluminum beams that slide into some kind of a sleeve that was rigged to the vehicle. The rear extension would be the length of the roof rack and the side extension would be the width of the roof rack maybe a bit longer to create a kind of eve?

bambamthexj

Rank 0

Traveler I

I like that design, possibly for support you could use aluminum beams that slide into some kind of a sleeve that was rigged to the vehicle. The rear extension would be the length of the roof rack and the side extension would be the width of the roof rack maybe a bit longer to create a kind of eve?

You could make that work I think. It would be ideal if you could create a strong enough mount point/hinge that it can support the full weight when extended. But if you encounter any sort of wind or inclement weather it could compromise the structure, so support might be a necessity. Another idea based off the design above is to have hinged poles that fold down off the horizontal supports. Possibly even adjustable poles for uneven terrain. That way the support is there if needed but its also super easy and fast to deploy, if that makes sense. Or even some sort of a hybrid between the two ideas. I have visions in my head, maybe I'll try to get them down on paper.

Reactions: Brandon Harvey

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Our thought was to stack 3 awning extrusions with teflon washers between each. Each extrusions would be drilled and a aluminum sleve would be welded in. Then a pin would be passed through the mount and extrusion arms to form the pivot.

ebarrere

Rank I

Contributor III

Denver
I see this is a pretty old thread, but has anybody actually built one yet? Thinking about doing it myself and would love to hear what you went with and any pitfalls you encountered. Pics for bonus points!