Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Castro Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Vincent
Member #

I’m in. Have done Corral Hollow when my rig was more mildly built, it was fun. Stoked for Slick Rock. Doing Barney Riley with my sons this weekend (7/5 through 7/7). Sounds like fun!

JKU Ray

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cameron Park
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Antar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BJQ
Awesome Andrew, I've never been so will need to rely on you for some navigation tips!

Andrew Vincent

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Castro Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Vincent
Member #

Awesome Andrew, I've never been so will need to rely on you for some navigation tips!
Haha! Good on ya for posting the trip then. Love the adventurous spirit. We will both figure out Slick Rock together, but I do know where it is. When are where are we meeting Friday morning? At Corral Hollow or Safeway in Arnold (about 15 minutes from trail head).

JKU Ray

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cameron Park
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Antar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BJQ
My initial thought was to meet at the Chevron at Fresh Pond at 9:00 and rally up from there. But looks like its faster to head just straight down Latrobe Road, to Hwy 49 then east on Hwy. 4. So i'll adjust the intial meeting point to the Bel Air in Cameron Park and then we'll look to meet you at the Safeway in Arnold right around 11.

Otter155

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
J
Last Name
N
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AJ3EP
My wife and I are both bringing rigs; I'm also going to attempt the run with my trailer. Let the fun begin!

Calipro4x

Rank 0

Traveler I

which way are you running slick rock... you may want to leave the trailer at either lake alpine side or near the entrance to snow park area... slick rock has some pretty narley sections now... i have a trailer too and i have hesitated to take it since.

JKU Ray

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cameron Park
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Antar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BJQ
I’m in. Have done Corral Hollow when my rig was more mildly built, it was fun. Stoked for Slick Rock. Doing Barney Riley with my sons this weekend (7/5 through 7/7). Sounds like fun!
Hey Andrew, how'd running Barney Riley go this past weekend??

OVERMTN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Monterosso
Member #

Hi Ray, I'm a new member. I'm looking to get my paper plates dirty, and this sounds like a good first run. I will check my schedule and see if I can do it. Anyone out there think this is a bad idea for a new stock 2019 JLU Rubicon? Thanks!! Matt

Reactions: Andrew Vincent

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Not sure I can make it yet, but what time would I meet you at WayPoint 1? I've heard the new section of Slick Rock is pretty tough. I have 33" tires and a 3.5" lift on a 2dr JK but I'm still running stock bumpers. Do you think there's a high chance of damage? Have run the trail several times before, the new section, without problems.

OVERMTN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Monterosso
Member #

If we don't feel comfortable doing slick rock, will we be split up for that night? Or staying at corral hollow an extra day until Barney Riley? Told you I'm new. I don't have a clue. I'm ordering full skid plates probably next week, I hope I don't bang up my rigs undercarriage before then. My son and I are very excited to go on this trip. We will be at the meeting on Tuesday.

JKU Ray

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cameron Park
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Antar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BJQ
Sounds good, see you there.
Hey Andrew, the only Safeway I'm seeing in that area is in Sonora, not Arnold. So we can either meet at the Big Trees Market (on Hwy. 4 in Arnold) or just at the Coral Hollow trail head, at Hwy. 4, which is our air down area.

JKU Ray

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cameron Park
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Antar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BJQ
Not sure I can make it yet, but what time would I meet you at WayPoint 1? I\'ve heard the new section of Slick Rock is pretty tough. I have 33\" tires and a 3.5\" lift on a 2dr JK but I\'m still running stock bumpers. Do you think there\'s a high chance of damage? Have run the trail several times before, the new section, without problems.
Hey Fly Boy. We plan on making it to the Corral Hollow trailhead (eastern side) around 11:30. Slick Rock is a difficult trail and from what I've researched you should be okay with your 33's and 3.5" lift. If there are any issues we can always winch you up and over any obstacles. There will be some experienced guys there. Weather looks like its going to be perfect!

JKU Ray

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cameron Park
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Antar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BJQ
If we don\'t feel comfortable doing slick rock, will we be split up for that night? Or staying at corral hollow an extra day until Barney Riley? Told you I\'m new. I don\'t have a clue. I\'m ordering full skid plates probably next week, I hope I don\'t bang up my rigs undercarriage before then. My son and I are very excited to go on this trip. We will be at the meeting on Tuesday.
Hello Matt, we can discuss the options when I see you at work tomorrow but I would not suggest staying a second night at Corral Hollow since there isn't much going on up there.

Andrew Vincent

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Castro Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Vincent
Member #

Hey Andrew, how'd running Barney Riley go this past weekend??
Barney Riley was fun. There’s some steep rocky Dow hill on the way in, but it was easier to climb back up on the way out. There are lots of branches close to the trail - I got a solid coat of desert pinstriping on that trip. I’d recommend leaving it alone if having a pretty rig is important to you.

Also - logistics wise, I’d like to point out that the road from Slickrock to Barney Riley is steep and windy - takes almost 1.5 hours point to point. A gorgeous drive - but it will take awhile. Lake Aloine is gorgeous and well worth a stop.

Also - I asked some locals and they recommended running Slickrock from the Utica Reservoir side. Since they reworked the entrance at Lake Alpine, it’s super tough. Guys are breaking custom buggies on it. I’ll look at it, but the Ranger said “It’s intense - people can’t even walk it.”

Also - a small change in my meetup point. There’s no Safeway in Arnold. It’s called Big Trees market. But I’m picking up a passenger in Vacaville, so maybe I can meet up with you all somewhere else along the way. I’ve got limited coms - HAM for emergencies only as I haven’t gotten the very yet. Stoked for the trip!

JKU Ray

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Cameron Park
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Antar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BJQ
Hey Andrew, just got back from our meeting. Thanks for your into! I ran part of Barney Riley last year and agree those trails can be tight. One of the guys is in a brand new Jeep so I'll have to make him aware of the potential scratches. He and I are going to continue to 395 from the hot springs, instead of turning around, so that should help him. I'll have my cage doors on so I'll be cool.

I've been reading a lot about slick Rock and how the new section is pretty tough. Majority of people, including one member at the meeting tonight, say 35's and side rails are needed. Some people needed to be winched out but we'll have that covered. He ran it just last weekend. My friend will not be running it in his new JL so if you're not comfortable you guys can just run as fast as you feel good with. Turning around is apparently not an issue on that trail.

And I've also heard running from the reservoir to Lake Alpine is preferred and I plan on doing it that way. I have maps printed out for that direction.

I'm changing things so that we camp two nights around Lake Alpine. Camping on top of corral hollow will not be as enjoyable as Lake Alpine since there is nothing to do up there. Lake Alpine has a store, restaurant and bar, and of course the lake, to enjoy. So we're going to have to find a site Friday morning. There are several right there at the Lake and another site (Bloomfield) further east on 4 that we camped at last year that had plenty of room.

Can you meet us at Big Trees at 10:15?