Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Modesto, California, United States
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Estrella (hddoverland.com)
Member #

Family friendly adventure on the eastern side of the Sierra's along the California / Nevada state line. Awesome scenery, several historic mining sites, oddities in the desert and a couple of epic ghost towns. base camp is just outside of Hawthorne NV at Whiskey Flat Campground with access to bathrooms and showers for those who like less primitive conditions. Terrain is basic 4-wheel drive. Friday we'll explore along the state line including Fletcher Springs, Aurora Ghost Town, then we'll make our way through a narrow canyon and in to Bodie Ghost Town from the back side. We'll also visit the infamous Chemung Mine site where hauntings have been reported by other explorers. Saturday will take us a little further south near the Excelsior Mountains outside of Mina Nevada to several mines, one of which is safe for exploring; a couple of ghost towns and a bumpy trail to a secret intact homestead dating back to the 1800's.

For anyone wanting to arrive early we can set up camp and head out to Bridgeport for 4th of July celebrations and fireworks!

Arranged by members;
Frank Estrella Member 11835 www.highdesertdrifter.com
and Praveen Singh www.norcaloverlanders.com

View Rally Point

nurseline

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Castro Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Fischer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6FOX
I was in Bode today! It was a great visit. The two ladies @ the
"Miners Union Hall". We're a wealth of Knowledge and a pleasure to speak with.

I recommend visiting Bode, CA.

Cheers, Mates.
Jack 15880.

Reactions: mwilson920

Moriarty

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stagecoach, NV, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brackett
Member #

Interested! Will y'all be traveling up HWY 50 or 80 to Hawthorne? We would be starting from Stagecoach off of HWY 50.

Moriarty

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stagecoach, NV, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brackett
Member #

Moriarty - are you familiar with Fort Churchill? I was there about 3 weeks ago, very interesting place.
We haven't been there yet. Probably sounds silly, were only 20-30min drive from it. Sold our 5 acres in Redding and moved here 6 months ago.

Reactions: Curt_JK

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I arranged for some time off, so I’m in. Looks like base camp is an Rv park, will I be ok camping out of the back of my old truck? Never stayed at an rv park, I’m more a remote camping guy. I’m looking forward to this, I’ve been to Bodie and Aurora a couple of times, but haven’t been to the other places.

Reactions: Derbydude

nurseline

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Castro Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Fischer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6FOX
I was in Bode today! It was a great visit. The two ladies @ the
"Miners Union Hall". We're a wealth of Knowledge and a pleasure to speak with.

I recommend visiting Bode, CA.

Cheers, Mates.
Jack 15880.
A few items of note.

Adult admit price into Bode is $8 USD a person.

The bathrooms have toilet paper only.
Cold water to wash your hands.
So bring your own paper towel and hand soap.

Cheers, Mates.

Reactions: Raul B

High Desert Drifter

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Are the trails fullzie capable? You mention a tight canyon so just wondering if I'll be too wide.

Also what are the dates?
Yes all the trails are able to accommodate a full size rig. Ive done them in my Tahoe before.
Are the trails fullzie capable? You mention a tight canyon so just wondering if I'll be too wide.

Also what are the dates?
the dates are July 5th thru 7th however we have a couple people coming on the 4th to watch
the fireworks and parade in bridgeport

Reactions: 94Cruiser

High Desert Drifter

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

I arranged for some time off, so I’m in. Looks like base camp is an Rv park, will I be ok camping out of the back of my old truck? Never stayed at an rv park, I’m more a remote camping guy. I’m looking forward to this, I’ve been to Bodie and Aurora a couple of times, but haven’t been to the other places.
its actually an RV place and campground. the tent sites are separated from the RV sites. what day are you coming
up? and from what direction? I may be able to put you in contact with a couple of the others if you're traveling the same route.

Frank

High Desert Drifter

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

A couple of bits of general information about the trip; The dates of exploring as a group are Friday July 5th all day and Saturday July 6th all day. However, others have mentioned coming on the 4th to set up camp and then drive down to Bridgeport for the 4th of July celebration which includes fireworks. There is a small fee to enter Bodie Ghost Town because it is a State Park, although very rustic with pit toilets and only portable water for hand washing. the Canyon in to Bodie from the east which is the route we will be taking is wide enough to accommodate a full size rig. There is a fee for the campground but it is reasonable. according to the camp ground host their tent campground never fills up and should not be a problem but you can also contact them to make reservations in advance if you wish. www.whiskeyflats.net however I will be contacting them once we do a full count to warn them that we will be filling up their campground. If you have any questions please contact me by phone or email which you will find on the rally point page if you do not get a quick reply. this is my first time using the rally point feature. I usually use the overland bound west facebook page to communicate with everyone.

Frank
High desert Drifter

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

its actually an RV place and campground. the tent sites are separated from the RV sites. what day are you coming
up? and from what direction? I may be able to put you in contact with a couple of the others if you're traveling the same route.

Frank
I’ll probably be heading up highway 395, to highway 6, to Nevada 360 to highway 95 into Hawthorne on Thursday the 4th. That looks like the most direct route from Southern California.Hopefully I’ll get to Hawthorne by mid afternoon or so. The campground sounds fine, I have a camper shell on my truck and I sleep in there. This is going to be fun!

High Desert Drifter

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

up? and from what direction? I may be able to put you in contact with a couple of the others if you\'re traveling the same route.

Frank
I’ll probably be heading up highway 395, to highway 6, to Nevada 360 to highway 95 into Hawthorne on Thursday the 4th. That looks like the most direct route from Southern California.Hopefully I’ll get to Hawthorne by mid afternoon or so. The campground sounds fine, I have a camper shell on my truck and I sleep in there. This is going to be fun!
Mojavewanderer - sounds great! we are hoping to make the drive over and arrive early enough on the 4th to set up camp and take a drive over to Bridgeport for the celebration and fireworks. you got my cell number so shoot me a call or text while traveling. I'm very familiar with your route from Southern California if you have any questions as well. -Frank

Christopher Hersey

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Roseville, CA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Hersey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6GTB
Hi guys, I think I’m going to be able to join, I just wanted to clarify the schedule for Friday. The start time in the rally point says 7 am Friday. Does that mean everyone is planning on being in Hawthorne on Thursday night? I know some people are kicking around getting there Thursday to catch fireworks in Bridgeport but I’m curious if I can roll in Friday morning instead. If the plan is to hit the trail early Friday then that won’t work obviously. I can probably make either way work I’m just trying to plan accordingly. Thanks for putting this together!